Hunting Oryx in South Africa

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by Pieter, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Pieter

Pieter New Member

Last year I was fortunate to have a friend with me on my hunting expedition. He is an very good photographer and took these foto's by using a camera taking 10 frames per second.
    This is an Oryx (we call it a Gemsbok in South Africa) hunted in the Kalahari, a semi desert area in the nortwestern part of South Africa - sand dunes and bushes.
    I took this shot at 190 meters. By looking at the first pic, you can see the Oryx kicking upwards with its hind legs as the bullet caught him just under his right eye. In the second pic you can see the wound. The third pic shows the buck dropping down.
    I used my 7 mm Tombi loaded with a 162 gr Hornady SST bullet - very accurate. This was sudden death - the way we as dedicated hunters try to do it every time.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  2. Hectocotylus

Hectocotylus New Member

Cool experience, were you aiming for the head or was that an oops?

Molon Labe

3. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Did you utilize the meat? Great shot!!

4. Pieter

Pieter New Member

Oryx

Hectocotylus, I will forgive you for this one, but in future I will regard it as an insult.:(

Winds-of-change, I am a biltong hunter. Biltong is a delicacy consisting of strips of meat, salted and spiced and dried - a South African product.
    The meat is also used as mince and in sausage.

Many game farm owners only allow you to shoot if you pass a shooting test. Hectocotylus, can you do this regularly at 200 meters? (five shots)

Regards
    Old-timer

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  5. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

The food item you describe sounds like our jerky here.

That is some great shooting. I Don't think I will ever be that good. But it's fun trying. LOL

Don't be mad at Hecto. He doesn't know you and your shooting ability. He was just asking. Now he knows you are a great shot. He didn't know that before.

6. Pieter

Pieter New Member

Hecto, no harde feelings!
    Please accept my humor from time to time!

7. JW357

JW357 New Member

Excellent shooting, from both the rifle and camera.

Thank you for sharing.

8. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

If I ever become immune to the adrenaline rush, I will give up hunting.

I took a whitetail buck with a similar shot, but it was an oops. ;)

9. Hectocotylus

Hectocotylus New Member

Pieter, no problem! I am impressed at that shooting! I couldn't do that by accident at that distance! I was thinking about the usual killing shot on big game but I know nothing about hunting in Africa. I enjoy the humor also!

Molon Labe

10. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Nice shooting! I like shooting a 7mm.

11. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Outstanding shot, Pieter, and thanks for the pics. I wish all hunters could be as patient and accurate. I hear too many tales of tracking wounded game.

12. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

I hit that point in about 2007. that is when I started taking my daughter along with when I went afield, and also when I got into bow hunting. My wife started hunting with me in 04, so it took a couple more years for the rush to stop for me.

Taking someone new to hunting with you goes a long way towards bringing that rush back, especially when they get that first shooting opportunity. Did a spot and stalk with my adopted uncle (his first year) over a 110 yard field edge to get him in range on a large doe this bow season. We got to within 30 yards, and he got off a perfect double lung hit. i think I enjoyed that moment more than he did, and he was ecstatic.

Last edited: May 1, 2014