Hunting Noobie Here, Got A Couple Questions

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by MrMosin, Aug 4, 2011.

1. MrMosin

MrMosin New Member

Hi all, first post in the hunting forum, been on the site poking around for a while and its great! My first question is has anyone personally ever done any hunting with a mosin nagant? I am planning on getting my hunting license soon for the coming season and i was just wondering if my mosin would be able to cut it. My second question is, would i have any kind of success with my iron sights if i got enough practice in before the season, or would i be better off scoping my gun? Thanks for any help guys. :cool:

2. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

You're in luck, because I happen to hunt with my Mosin Nagants. It'll definately do the job you can count on that. If you practice enough with the iron sights you should do fine. I use both my M91/30 Izzy and my Scoped M91/30. I usually just hunt with the non scoped one, because it makes the hunt more challenging and enjoyable I think.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Too much gun for squirrels, not enough for blue whale, and if you use it for doves, the other dove hunters will stone you with empty low brass hulls. Other than that. should be up to anything you can find in North America.

Get some good soft point HUNTING ammo, do NOT be using full metal jacket MILSURP on Bambi. Go get some of the small paper plates- about 5 to 6 inches across. Those are your targets. Using whatever shooting position you will use in the field, shoot the targets. The max range that you can hold all your shots on that paper plate is your max for hunting. That is about the size of the "quick kill" zone on a deer. Do NOT be snuggled down in sandbags on a bench rest unless you can drag the benchrest out to where you hunt.

Iron sights should do fine to about 250 yds. Beyond that, most of us should not be shooting at Bambi. Know where to aim on the animal, not just AT the animal. Hunting USA Free Whitetail Deer Hunting Tips and Tactics

4. wmille01

wmille01 New Member

They work pretty good on hogs, I really don't use scopes unless I'm hunting in a field or plinking long range. The mosin sights are ok, I usually just shoot it year around when I can and 100m I would have no problems taking deer or pigs.

5. MrMosin

MrMosin New Member

Why the soft point? Is it easier to drop the animal than with FMJ or is there some sort of legality issue. I did some looking around and i saw 2 companies that made SP ammo in 7.62x54R. There was Brown/Silver Bear and Wolf. I noticed both of them were over 200 grain. Wich would be a better buy and will they shoot the same as FMJ/surplus rounds?

6. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

FMJ steel core mil-surp will go right through, leaving the animal wounded not killed outright.

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

As Mr. Pyle said up there- a FMJ drills a 7.62mm hole right thru- and keeps going. The JSP transfers more energy to the animal, creates a larger temporary wound channel- and a humane kill right there- as opposed to dying 2 days later from the wound. In some states, it is illegal to use FMJ for hunting big game.

There are several companies that make a JSP hunting round for your M-N. A 200 gr will shoot to a different point of impact than a 147 gr- the 200 is heavier and slower (about 500 fps slower than the 147 gr). Sellier & Bellot makes a 180 gr JSP, and JSP is made by Winchester, remington, and I think Federal- as well as Wolf, Prvi, Brown/Silver Bear, etc. You have some range time ahead of you.

And- and this is NOT intended to be an insult- sounds like this might be your first experience hunting. If so, take a Hunter Safety Course if you have not. Find an experienced hunter to go with you. At least do some study on how to field dress a deer (assuming you are going after deer) and how to butcher one. DO spend some time studying the game regs in YOUR state so you know what is legal, what is not.

And good luck, and good hunting.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  8. MrMosin

MrMosin New Member

No offense taken here, i appreciate any good advice i can get! :D Yeah this wiil be my first time out hunting, I will be trying for a deer and some coyote, it is legal to hunt them year round here with a small or big game license. I am aleready looking into a hunter education class so i can get my license and i know plenty of guys that have hunted a fair bit so that will not be a problem either. As always thanks for the advice!