Firearms Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Supporting Member
13,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A good friend of mine sent me the picture of him and the Caribou he shot on Thursday in Alaska.
He shot it with his AR in 450 Bushmaster. He did advise it took 6 rounds to bring the beast down. He advised he was hit hard but kept slowly walking even though the shots were Heart and Lung Shots. But after he shot the 6th Shot the Caribou stopped walking and he knew he was going down. The first shot was at 280 yards and the last at 220 Yards.
Nice Caribou. He is going to get a Head Mount! I think the distance was part of the contributing factor.
Sky Plant Camouflage Water Wood

Because we killed two 2200 Lb. Bison (Buffalo) with a 458 SOCOM AR. But the range was around 100 yards.
We shot the first shot and it went through both lungs on both of them. Then the Bison started walking slowly and we shot a follow up on both of them to put them down. But found later the 458s first shot on both of them was a fatal shot. In fact the Barnes Bullets had went clear through both Lungs on both of them and hit 35 yards in the dirt on the other side of them.
Bison Vertebrate Mammal Terrestrial animal Grass

The reason I have his Face Blacked out is because of his occupation in Law Enforcement.

Wow! What a hunt in Alaska I am envious!!! :)

·
Registered
990 Posts
He shot it with his AR in 450 Bushmaster. He did advise it took 6 rounds to bring the beast down.
I hunt with a 450, and I can not see why it would take 6 rounds, but he was at a long range, and probably didn't need to keep shooting. That animal is easily taken with a .223 or a 7.62x39

·
Supporting Member
13,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maineiak,

Sorry guys I stand corrected! He has a 450 Bushmaster but actually he shot the Caribou with his 338 Federal Bushmaster.
I was speaking to him and He had advised with his Bushmaster and I assumed it was his 450 Bushmaster! "NOT"! Never knew he had a 338 Federal Bushmaster.
Yes I know the Range would have had effects on the 450 Bushmaster at 290+ Yards. And like our Bison the first shot with the 458 SOCOM was fatal at over 100 yards. The second shot was not actually needed but some animals are just flat tuff! The last 10 Point Deer I shot in Texas with my 7mm Remington Magnum took out both lungs and heart. The Buck ran almost 75 yards at full tilt, before he crashed. Their will to live is unbelievable! My friend is an excellent shot Firearms instructor Instructor for over 25 years, competitor and big game hunter! He several other hunting guns.
Once again sorry for the error!

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Interesting... ive never done follow up shots like that.
I have always shot, watched and listened for at least 5 mins before i move a muscle. For deer and elk that is. Never hunted caribou or bison.
Nice animal he got though, for sure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts