hunting guns?

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by Ray_Ray, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Ray_Ray

Ray_Ray New Member

I am looking at getting a couple of hunting guns. I am not a hunter, but I have hunted before. I want to get back into hunting and need some advice on some hunting guns.

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Whacha Huntin'?

Deer, squirrel, ducks, rabbits, dove, hogs, ...

Need more details to make a recommendation.

But a 12 guage shotgun and a bolt action .308 win would cover the bases in most of the Southern USA.

3. Ray_Ray

Ray_Ray New Member

Sorry thought I put those details in. For deer. I have a couple good guns for squirrel. But I want to get back into deer hunting.

4. Magnaiter

Magnaiter New Member

30-06 is wicked on deer when hunt'n near the fields but when I get back in the woods I like my 12 ga , you never no when that fox or wild dog will run by, an with a quick pump from slug to #4 you can drop the "BOOM" down on em' . Here in western North Carolina the woods get thick an you may have a 50-60 yard shot if you get lucky, most the time 30-40 yards is all you can shoot.whatever woods your hunt'n good luck!

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

a 30-06 is a good all around very versatile caliber. been made for years, and chambered in many different types of rifles, and ammo is the most varied in types, weights and prices. if you were to buy only one rifle caliber, the 30-06 would be a good choice. just about anyone that sells ammo, has 30-06 ammo, so it's available just about anywhere. some other good suggestions would be the 30-30 in a lever action, a 308 in a rifle of your choice, the 270 Win.

6. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

I love hunters that don't think out side of the box for hunting distance. I now live in NC mountains . I have also made more than a few 200 yard shoots here in the mountains so be ready. eastern half of the state 400 yards could be an ever day shot.

RAY RAY. I grew up hunting in floridas swamps and alabama mid state area. Eufaula, Clayton to Silt, even a couple trips closer to you near taladaga. Are you going to hunt any clear cuts or fields? Or never get out of the the bottoms?? I don't thing any of us ever used less than a 308 . many used 7mm rem mags . The field and clear cut shoots could be 400 yards easy and I know theres lots of that around you . So its your choice , just look at what you can get a good deal in on a 260, 270, 280, 7mm in one cartridge or another 308 , 30-06. One ole boy in our club had justone rifle a 300 win mag. Can't knock his ability as he had killed a couple bucks over 170 in your state. There is no perfect caliber . Gota take up bow hunting too.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  7. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

Remington Model 700 or Winchester Model 70 in 30-06. Classics.

8. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

Good rds for hunting deer. 30-06, .308, 25-06, 7mm, .243, .300. All of these are fantastic hunting rds, but the .257 mag......ohh the .257 mag. I've seen it drop every deer it has shot.

All in remington 700 of course.

9. Jacobmclaughlin

Jacobmclaughlin New Member

For deer hunting a .270 is almost perfect. A 30-06 is just a little too big almost. Personally I use a 30-06 for elk hunting and .270 for deer. Then 22-250 for javelina and such. AZ

10. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

Imma fan of the .308 in a Remington 700. Good round in a good rifle. Both are very Versatile

11. BikerRN

BikerRN New Member

I'm a guy that likes the .300 Win Mag for hunting longer distances.
    For <300 yards I'd go with the .35 Whelen.

If you are new to shooting longer distance, or recoil is an issue, check out the 25-06 or .270 for deer. For elk I'd suggest larger than .270 but that's just me.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  12. Ray_Ray

Ray_Ray New Member

it will prob. be mostly open field. the 270 I was considering. I have never shot a bow before in my life, guess thats something I can take up.

13. RaySendero

RaySendero Member

Ray_Ray, I like your thinking! Most would want 1 "Do-it-all" rifle, but IMO 2 or more would cover much more hunting situations!

1st - Just getting back to deer hunting, I assume you don't reload.? If this is correct go with OR Don't stray far from the 30/30, 270 308 or 30/06.

2nd - But maybe most important, pick your guns for the hunting situations! Picking the right rifles will be much more important than the picking the cartridges.

For example: I like a scoped bolt action 270 for stand hunting. I like an iron sight lever action 30/30 for stalking. If your state has a "primitive weapon" season you'll need a single shot rifle - Exactly which one will depend on the state regulations.

14. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

15. Ray_Ray

Ray_Ray New Member

Not sure i understand what you mean buy "I assume you dont reload?"

16. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

He is recommending you stick to common calibers if you don't reload. Most any hardware, farm store, etc. sells 30:30, .270, .308 or 30:06 of some sort. Not going to find the "exotics", short mags, etc. as easily, not only do these cost the shooter, it is expensive for small retailers to stock.

17. stick_man

stick_man New Member

Other considerations would be your sensitivity to recoil and your size. The '06 and the .270 are both fine cartridges and will handle virtually anything in North America that can legally be hunted with a rifle. The .270 might be a little light for the big bears, but it is still capable of putting them down.

A good choice for a recoil sensitive shooter or somebody of small stature would also be the 7mm-08. It is short enough a cartridge to work great in the short action rifles and has sufficient knock-down power to handle 300-yard elk. The recoil is sufficiently light to be manageable by youth and the new shooters. Recoil is between that of the .243 and the .308. It's biggest drawback is the availability of ammo isn't as good as for the .308, .270, or the .30-06.

18. Ray_Ray

Ray_Ray New Member

6'1.5'' 210 not to small

19. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

if you don't reload, then i too suggest sticking with the more popular calibers as they can be available just about anywhere and much cheaper than the semi-exotic calibers. one i also second and endorse is the 7mm-08, very capable caliber, but as mentioned, a little pricy in factory ammo, and some stores only carry limited versions of it. the 7mm-08 is a very good caliber to reload for and gives you much more options in loads when reloaded. i have a 7mm-08 and it is a very nice caliber, gentle recoil and very accurate. i have only bought two boxes of factory loaded ammo for this rifle and would rather spend the money on brass and bullets for it.

20. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

ray ray a 270 is a great deer caliber . Lots of riflesout there in it . Watch for 1 or 2 year old bows for sale ,trade'ns at the local pro shop. lots of guys just gota have the newest latest and greatest. makes for some good deals. Do take time to BS your way around a bow shop look and feel ask questions to get a bit of an understanding about them. It will make a better hunter out of you and seems we allways had a better chance at deer before they get all jumpy over the pressure we can put on them.