Hunting dog questions

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by 1911beast, Sep 11, 2012.

1. 1911beast

1911beast New Member

Do labs shed a lot or just a little and can you teach a Siberian husky to hunt duck and pheasant

2. tri70

tri70 New Member

Some labs can be hard headed and hard to train at first but it takes patience on your part to train any dog. If a person has the patience I think any dog could hunt pheasant or duck, within reason. If they can swim for ducks or not bust pheasant up to far in front of the hunter. You would have to teach them to hunt close.

3. USEBOTHHANDS

USEBOTHHANDS New Member

it really depends on the dog. i've had 4 different labs......a chocolate, a black, and 2 chocolates (@ same time). the first chocolate shed alot in the spring when he lost his winter coat, the black didn't shed too, too much, and the last 2 chocolates also shed heavily with their winter coats.

don't know about huskys for retrievin.

4. Eturnsdale

Eturnsdale New Member

You can basically train any dog to do any other dog's job IF you have the knowhow to do it. Some dogs are more difficult to train, but a true failure in training is always the owner's fault.

From my experience, how much a lab sheds depends a lot on his diet, and it's health. As well as its breeding. In my experience labs from English lines tend to shed a little less than those from American lines. Regardless, keep them healthy, and give them a good brushing two to three times a week paying special attention to the undercoat, and don't bathe them unless they really need it.

5. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I don't believe a Siberian Husky can be taught to hunt.

6. Eturnsdale

Eturnsdale New Member

The husky is a very driven, high energy, intelligent, dog that handles the cold well and can swim amazingly well. Have you ever seen a husky fetch? Im sure you have.

Hunting is a natural thing for any dog. It is what they evolved to do. Chase down and kill food, and in many cases, bring it back to the pack.

Not exactly hunting, but ya get the point.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b0ima-Yq5U[/ame]

And at least this one has a prey drive.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQjpXgJjwZ0[/ame]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  7. tri70

tri70 New Member

The husky looks like a very smart dog, he had a plan of attack to circle out and come in full speed instead of bolting straight in after them. Playing fetch is a good way to get any dog to retrieve, reward them for bringing the ball back with a treat.

8. fmj

fmj New Member

Yes labs do shed a lot. Coat maintenance is key.

Huskys could be taught to hunt, but thats not what they are bred for. Specific breeds have specific tendencies due to select breeding. decide what you want your dog to do and then find a breed for the task.

I wont EVER suggest "treat" training. When you start down that path you end up with a fat, spoiled dog. Reward them with love. When they do right, scrub the ears or other favorite spot (for the beast) very well with an exagerated happy tone of voice. When they do wrong use an exagerated mad voice.

9. Eturnsdale

Eturnsdale New Member

Fat and lazy is right.

[​IMG]
    :rolleyes:

10. fmj

fmj New Member

My point is...when you train them to food, they become conditioned to every time they listen to a command, they expect food. If you train them with love, they become conditioned to every time they listen to a command, they get a pat on the head...which is easier?

Look at it this way, when afield, do you want to carry 5 lbs of treats, or your hand?

Training them to positive/negative feedback is just as easy and effective as food.

11. Eturnsdale

Eturnsdale New Member

Food is positive feedback. I am not saying that strictly using simple verbal and physical praise is not a good way to train a dog. But I am saying that using treats does not automatically make them fat and lazy. And the transition from treats to praise is no more difficult than starting out with only praise.

Puppy comes when you call, you give a treat, pup consistently comes when you call, start petting them. Transition complete.

12. fmj

fmj New Member

I have found in over 30 years of training dogs (English setters, German pointers, labs, huskys, Rotties, boxers and the occasional cat) that when done correctly, treats are NOT needed. Its all about the bond between trainer and beast.

Start young, make it fun for the dog, always end training session on a positive note and you will get positive results...no need to drag a pound of feed along for training time.

Hell one could say a damn shock collar is positive/negative feedback. But those things, IMHO, are a terrible training tool.

13. Eturnsdale

Eturnsdale New Member

Shock collars, used properly for the proper reason on the proper dog can be a good tool and give great results. But you could never call it positive reinforcement.

As I said
    Oh wait, another fat and lazy dog that had treats used.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEstWoxB22M&feature=fvwrel[/ame]

He went on to win the world championship that year, and I believe the next as well.

14. fmj

fmj New Member

>>sigh<< and my point being...when training is done properly, there is no need for food reward.

15. Eturnsdale

Eturnsdale New Member

And my point is your own bias caused you to make a blatantly false statement.

In my nearly twenty years of breeding and training stock dogs, as well as protection dogs Ive found that the type of training needed depends more on the dog than the owner.

This guy was a regional champ in OK for bite work. He refused treats even as a pup.

[​IMG]

16. fmj

fmj New Member

Now THERE is something i will agree with you on...one MUST remain flexible when training...but "my bias" is not "blatantly false". i have simply found little or no need for treats. I have found it sets a bad precedent, I dont use it and have, as of yet, found no need for it.

My current field Champion...
    [​IMG]

He has also earned himself quite the reputation in this neighborhood as a guard dog NOT to be trifled with.

A little story, one of MANY....

We had some illegals move into the apartment across from the back corner of the property. Instead of taking the alley, one illegal decided he would just cut thru our property. (we have a double wide/double long lot 50x 100 yds) One day, after being alerted by the Champ, who was on the back enclosed porch sunning himself, i barked at said illegal about private property and I didnt appreciate him cutting thru the yard. He jabbered something at me in his native tongue that i am sure was none to flattering.

After about 3 meeting like this, one day it just so happened i was out in the barn working on a project and i heard the beast raising cain. (hes always out with me and NEVER on a lead/leash/run) I look out and afore mention illegal is halfway up my black walnut in the middle of the property. It was amazing, said idiot rememberd how to speak english. He demanded i call off my dog. To which i responded, "you were told about trespassing, now you can sit and learn about american property rights." About every hour i would look out and see the Champ just lounging under the tree and illegal hanging on for dear life. 3 hours later i went up to the house and called the Champ off...not because I felt sorry for the illegal, but because i ran out of beer in the barn fridge and had to get some from the house.:D

::edit:: Thats a DERN good lookin' pup you have there!!!

17. Eturnsdale

Eturnsdale New Member

You said that training with treats will make a dog fat and lazy. That was a blatantly false statement.

18. fmj

fmj New Member

In my experience, watching others use food as reward, this is what i have seen. I will NEVER recommend food reward as a training technique. Too many other ways to go about it to get the response you want.

19. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

I am with FMJ on this one. We had dogs for years and we never used treats while training. Praise when acceptable, and punishment when necessary always worked fine for our english springers, and golden retrievers.

That said, there is nothing wrong with using treats as a motivator, i have a buddy with to pitbulls he used treats to train, and they are every bit as well trained as our dogs were. I think it really depends on the trainers preference.

20. Eturnsdale

Eturnsdale New Member

Thank you. He was one of those special dogs that you only find a few of in your life. A hundred and thirty pounds of mutt that originally came to us in a two pound bundle of starved bones.

But he is no longer with us.