Hunting Course Germany

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by Jagermeister, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Here is the Hunting Course Agenda that US citizens must take before getting a hunting license. It costs $200. The Germans normally go for a year and pay $2000 euros. We are quite lucky. I am teaching Hunting equipment and Hunting Firearms. Most likely I will be helping with other topics. I am also a shooting advisor and qualifier over the weekends. A number of students have not shot at all, or maybe never fired a rifle, pistol or shotgun. Most are already hunters from the US. Still, the qualifers are very hard for the various firearms. Very hard. The written test is long and very hard. You need to know many German hunting words. Yep, I am Daniel.

U.S. Forces Hunter Training & Certification Course
    23 September – 5 November 2013
    Class assignments
    (Working draft – For coordination with assistant instructors)

23 September – Sembach Community Activities Center – Monday 1900-2100
    Introduction 15 minutes Dave Mattingly
    History and traditions of German hunting 90 minutes Mike Wolske

24 September – Sembach Community Activities Center – Tuesday 1900-2100
    Fire arms for hunting 90 minutes Dave Spess & Daniel Myers

28 September – Saturday – KMC R&G MANDATORY RANGE PARTICIPATION 10-1800 hrs
    Optics, Handling and Safety 120 minutes Fernando Rondon

29 September – Sunday – KMC R&G MANDATORY RANGE PARTICIPATION 13-1800 hrs
    (Rifle, shotgun, pistol activities – Under guidance of Fernando Rondon, Calvin Churchill, Rick Honneffer, Hal Kronenberg, Daniel Myers, and Julia Geddes)

30 September – Sembach Community Activities Center – Monday 1900-2100
    Roe and Red Deer 120 minutes Rich Gonzalez & Dave Spess

01 October – Sembach Community Activities Center – Tuesday 1900-2100
    Boar 60 minutes Mike Wolske & Rich Gonzalez
    Chamois 60 minutes Dave Mattingly

07 October – Monday Sembach Community Activities Center – 1900-2100
    Mouflon/Fallow/Sika 60 minutes Tom Winkel & Dave Mattingly
    Other Haired Game 60 minutes Kurt Alt

08 October – Sembach Community Activities Center – Tuesday 1900-2100
    Feathered Game 120 minutes Mike Wolske

12 October – Saturday 0900-1300hrs 4 Hours Visit Hunting area / field trip

14 October – Sembach Community Activities Center – Monday 1900-2100
    Game Diseases 120 minutes Kurt Alt

15 October – Sembach Community Activities Center – Tuesday 1900-2100
    Preparation of Trophies 60 minutes Rich Gonzalez
    Hygienic Requirements 60 minutes Mike Wolske

19 October – Saturday Revier visit with Claus Bold to field dress harvested game………0900 to 1200

21 October – Sembach Community Activities Center – Monday 1900-2100
    Hunting Equipment 60 minutes Daniel Myers
    Forestry/hunting in Germany & hunting organizations 60 minutes Gert Lindenau

22 October – Sembach Community Activities Center – Tuesday 1900-2100
    German Weapons Law 60 minutes Mike Wolske
    German Hunting Law 60 minutes Mike Wolske

26 October – Saturday – KMC R&G MANDATORY RANGE QUALIFICATION 1000-1800 hrs

27 October - Sunday – KMC R&G MANDATORY RANGE QUALIFICATION 1300-1800 hrs
    (Rifle, shotgun, pistol activities – Under guidance of Fernando Rondon, Calvin Churchill, Rick Honneffer, Hal Kronenberg, Daniel Myers, and Julia Geddes)

28 October – Sembach Community Activities Center – Monday 1900-2100
    Game conservation 30 minutes Kurt Alt
    Game Conservation 30 minutes Kurt Alt
    Game Damage 75 minutes Kurt Alt

29 October – Sembach Community Activities Center – Tuesday 1900-2100
    Type of hunts 60 minutes Tom Winkel
    Wilderness First Aid 30 minutes Tom Winkel
    Booking Hunts 30 minutes Dave Mattingly

04 November – Sembach Community Activities Center – Monday 1900-2100
    (ALL INSTRUCTORS PARTICIPATE)
    TEST PREPARATION ---- REVIEW 120 minutes Dave Mattingly
    05 November – Sembach Community Activities Center – Tuesday 1900-TBD
    Written/Verbal Test 1900 hrs 120 minutes Dave Mattingly

2. hairbear1

hairbear1 Active Member

Jeeez thank God we don't have to go through anything like that here in Australia there'd be almost no hunting or shooting sports because most of us are a fairly laid back lot.
    Don't get me wrong we do love our hunting a lot but that is just bloody ridiculous.

If you don't mind I might take that and post it on the Aussie hunting forum I'm a member of just to show them just how lucky we really are in regards to our freedoms to owning and enjoying our past time.

3. orangello

orangello New Member

That is NUTS! There would be a LOT of unlicensed hunting going on in MS.

Any relation to Michael of Hollywood fame and slasherdom?

4. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Sure, no worries.

5. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

When I grew up a family member, Dad or Pawpaw, took you out and you leaned to hunt. I killed my 1st deer on my own at 14. After hunting with my Dad for doves and quail he gave me a 30-30 and told me to go shoot one. I did. Took my youngest son at 12 and put him on stand opening day and he shot a beautiful 8-pointer. Dropped on the spot. Frig all the rules you have to go through. We still have the pioneer spirit here though it is fading as we watch our cities grow and people in the country are becoming mostly stupid fools from cities moving out into the country to get there 5 acres of paradise. No problem with it if they would leave the city attitude behind.

6. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

A German friend told me that a person who hunts big game in Germany must have access to a tracking dog. i can appeciate that because i often track wounded deer and elk for other hunters. IMO: Many, if not most, hunters in this country can't track wounded game worth a crap.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  7. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

You have to have at least one trained dog if you are in charge of a hunting revier. You are right about the wounded game being the reason:D Also, you must have a trained dog when you are hunting birds.

8. Catfish

Catfish Member

It`s sure a lot longer than it was when I took it back in 1966, and cost a lot more. You didn`t mention how hard it is to actually get to hunt after you got the license.

9. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Things have changed a lot. I have been hunting every Saturday all summer, not to mention the endless amount of drive hunt invites. I can hunt throughout the week if I wanted to. I feel extremely lucky. This weekend I am hunting boar, Roe, fox, badger and mouflon. I saw the location where the mouflon (mountain sheep) are crossing the revier (fresh prints and feces suggest around 0700 in the morning). I want a big-horned ram for meat and trophy

10. phildenton

phildenton New Member

where as where i live you pretty much arent allowed to even have a pet dog with you when hunting most things.

11. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Wow Jager, thats nuts! To pay 2000 eu's for the right to feed ones family is a federal lord of the manor tax. I took my 2 night course in the mid 70's at a local Rod and Gun, I think it was about $5.00 back then (I thought that was high). Germany makes NY look good! Im half Kraut (Werner) and Half Scottish (Wallace), the Scot in me may be replying here!

The parts about having to have trained dogs and join clubs seems pretty uppity also, like the Britts, money will buy you rights where the lack of it will ensure you cant have what the rich have. Sadly, those with money dont really need the food or the pelts, but I know lots of poor folks that feed their families in large part with hunting. Most of the poor hunters around here can barely afford to feed their families, they probably wont have trained hunting dogs unless they are coon hunters and those are trained on the hunt not purchased as trained. A trained Setter or Spaniel can go $2 or $3K by the time your done, add another $2K for your safety course, permitting fees and taxes and the hungry wont feed themselves with natures bounty, they can only look to the gov for free chow.

The name of the courses your teaching "Hunting equipment and Hunting Firearms" seems odd that they make a separation between hunting and I suppose the other might be Military E & F. Are their rules as to which weapons you can use to hunt with (other than the obvious no Ma Deuce for wabbits)? Our Governor stupidly said, "Nobody need 10 bullets to kill a deer", (we already had a law for decades that said you could only have six rounds available in a weapon to hunt deer). Are you also restricted on the magazine size?

I hate the aristocrat approach to rights that has become so popular everwhere, like the rich can somehow be trusted because they have more to lose. Money doesnt buy rights, were born with them. Saying only the rich may use them is ludicrous. Few people now a days have an extra $5K to get into hunting to feed their families. If they had the extra money, they might likely take a vacation than go trapping and hunting in the coldest of weather just to live.

12. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

To hunt large game you need a bullet that is 6.5 mm and travels 2000 joules at 100 meters. That is a .270 minimum.
    You can hunt Roe deer and smaller game with a bullet that travels 1000 joules at 100 meters. No bullet size is mentioned.
    To hunt with a semi-auto you can have one in the pipe, but only a two round magazine. So three rounds. I had to buy extra two round mags before the German government allowed me to purchase my AR. I can still keep the twenty round mags it came with though.
    For a bolt action rifle, you can have as many rounds as the rifle can hold.
    You can not hunt with pistol rounds, bows or crossbows. You can use your pistol for a final shot or if charged by an animal.

Hunting firearms took the whole class. There was plenty of hand ons with various rifles and pistols. We talked about safety, laws, calibers, requirements, etc. The hunting equipment is just that. Everything you would need outside of firearms. There is a seperate class on rules and regulations. I already trained and qualified all the students on the pistol. Other trainers are doing shotgun and rifle.

13. AirCavBob

AirCavBob New Member

Jagermeister, your post brings back old and very fond memories for me. I was stationed in Germany and managed to ride the reenlist PDA for 10 years. For six of those years I was a certified hunting instructor for the armed forces and taught many classes at my Rod and Gun Club in Bamberg. I still to this day drink my beer with my left hand so as to keep my trigger finger free. Weidmannsheil

14. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

My wife has learned to always hand me a drink on the left side. Happy to meet a fellow instructor. I am going on a solo hunt tomorrow. I have a drive hunt these Sunday. The same thing next week. Hunting all Reh, all Wildschwein, fuchs, dachs and mouflon. Waidmannsheil.

15. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

No more(?) requirements for traditional hunting dress? (My apologies if I already asked this question before memory is fleeting right now)

16. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

No, not any more. Hunters are even wearing camo now. You are expected to dress in greens and browns though.

17. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

When I get married, I want lots of Joules!

What is this Joules you speak of? English man, English Me no sprekken z doitch. :D

18. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Very funny Anna. Since I have lots of Joules already....:cool:

Well anyways, I am going to spend the weekend with a pistol on my hip and a rifle over my shoulder. Thank God! The government can kiss my Italian ***. I am escaping!!!!!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IE1wotBnJM[/ame]

19. hairbear1

hairbear1 Active Member

1 joule = 0.7375621 ft lbs

20. LIBERTY2

LIBERTY2 New Member

WOW!!! I just joined this forum but I'm enjoying it already. I never even considered what hunting would be like in other areas of the world. Where I live, I'm 20 minutes from hunting deer and a few elk. As long as I have my tags I'm good to go. Anything from a .243 up is all the rifle you need. I hunt mostly with a longbow and I see you cant hunt with a bow at all in Germany!!!! My formal firearms training came in the military and there was plenty of it there!! I used to hunt in Canada but now I hear its so restrictive that it's no fun anymore. I think the idea of a good tracking dog is a very good thing as most of the hunters I am familiar with couldn't track a blood trail on fresh snow. This is going to be FUN!!! FRJ