Hunker down SHTF list

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by Gus556, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Gus556

Gus556 New Member

Okay, many times on here there are discussions about buggin out. For many, that is the only oppertunity for survival. For others on here though, we are fortunate enough to be living in an area where we would be able to survive off the land. I know in my case I already have seeds, tilled ground, and natural water sources.
    That is not to say one would not encounter severe hardship or famine if not properly prepared. So, here is the idea of the thread. If you were to hunker down, what length of time would you plan to be self sufficient for and what would you be stockpiling and how much.....

My family and I already practice a lot of more primitive skills all year around. We have a fully stocked root cellar, we keep bulk items on hand (Rice, Beans, Pasta, flour, yeast, etc) we can and dehydrate/smoke meats, dehydrate veggies and fruits, can veggies and fruits, we have chickens with a good egg production to feed 7 people (there are four of us). There are many freshwater springs around to keep fresh water on hand for drinking and cleaning and a river out back to keep water for non consumption needs. The house is fitted with wood/coal heat and it requires no power. I keep ample amounts of ammo on hand for all weapons. Overall, I am confident we can hold on for an indefinate period of time with our current supplies however I just have this nagging feeling in my gut I should be preparing for real long term isolation like what I have on hand is not enough.

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Salt.
    And since the computer said that was too short, a way to grind grain. Get a copy of the Lehman's Non-Electric catalog. google lehmans kidron ohio.

3. zeskullmaster

zeskullmaster New Member

I would say you and your family are ready for a natural disaster but dont forget the other kind of disaster's like the man made ones if a chemical is released and the cloud of it drops on the ground you could be stopped growing crops for a while ..... and dont forget that really nasty stuff like a radiation fallout condition... you have a natural for survival in the land use and storage .. I have a large shop i use to not only do some minor house and yard jobs I am partly disabled now and can only do small jobs around the house my wife and I are over 50 I am retired long haul truck driver as well as a old ships engineer so I have alot of know how but I also have a great nieghbor he is still driving long haul . We take care of each others family and animals . we also work together on all our survival needs we keep enough food and water for all seven of us he has two kids and a mother in law as well as his wife . we stock pile dry food stuff and water for aprox. 6 months we also practice using our equipment fire,shelter,safety,and comfort I do reloading of black powder cartridge's as well as smokeless ammo we have a few weapons for defense as well as hunting. we like covering all the basics and dont forget any prescription drugs as well as a few good and well stocked first aid packs.. and dont be afraid to check with your local fire department for some first aid training...

4. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Gus556, remember that "indefinite" means that there is no limit to the amount of time. It sounds like your set for food production, heat and water, but how about reloading equipment, primers, smokeless powder, bullet molds? Your brass can be recycled a dozen times in non +P loads...it would be a shame to let them fall to the ground after one firing! This is the only thing that is going to keep your guns in the category of "indefinite" for the long run.

5. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I just keep adding. I figure more of everything is better. I really don't know how many months we can go, there will be many variables, so like I said, I just keep adding.

Anybody got gas masks and spare filters? ;)

6. usmcprofessional

usmcprofessional New Member

dude seriously, where can you get a working one? all the usual sites have gas masks from nam era, and non working filters.

7. Troy Michalik

Troy Michalik Is it Friday yet? Supporter

8. usmcprofessional

9. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I bought new Israeli masks and a bunch of filters. They're standard NATO filters. Check the online surplus stores and survival/preps websites. Most of the ones for sale are outdated Russian, Eastern European or Chinese junk.

I wanted U.S. masks, but the Israeli masks are top quality and they cost much less than the US made ones.

10. Caoimhin

Caoimhin New Member

I'm with you on the Israeli masks CA. There is a store in Albuquerque called Army-navy surplus that has them and new NATO filters. They will do fine in CS or OC.

11. Troy Michalik

Troy Michalik Is it Friday yet? Supporter

CS is really only one concern. How good are those filters if some releases some really nasty biologics or chemicals? I'm not being a smart a$$, I'm just asking because I don't know.

I wear a Scott SCBA (like the fire fighters) for work all the time. You can use the same mask for either bottled air or filters. I feel completely comfortable in one and heavy activity while wearing it is a non-issue.

12. usmcprofessional

if someone releases a chemical or biological agent your dead anyway. after all the good god damn classes i had to take when i was in, if it comes to something as simple as a nerve or blister agent, or hell a virus, your dead. unless you are somewhere with an early warning detection and carry arround a MOPP level 4 gear every where you go provided with the right decontamination unit and CBRN detection system, along with the awesome needles you have to jam in your *** and heart...not in that order- you are going to die.

there are things out there that are so unbelieveably simple to make and or get that can be released and the only warning you would have is *sniff* "hmm that smells like pineso-" *thump* im just looking for something i can use to protect myself if some jackass gets his hands on some OC or CS. those little pepper spray bombs they sell are actually quite effective.