Firearms Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone owned a Hungarian p-63 9 by 18 pistol,or had any exp. with one? I just found one at the local gun shop for 169.00 dollars,it seems like it would be a good carry gun,being a military gun I would assume it would be reliable. And would that caliber beed suitable for a carry gun,I know it is not a 45 which I have,but it would get carried more than my Ruger p-90.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
The PA63 is a good little shooter. I owned one for awhile, but got rid of it because I wanted a nice surplus rifle instead. Plus, the 9x18 Mak ammo is a little expensive in my area.

The weapon itself is a solid design. The design is based of the Walther series, which is a standard among the sub compact pistol world. Only having 7 rounds per magazine is a drawback, and there isn't much accuracy out past 7 yards. If you buy the PA63, invest in getting a spring kit from Wolf. The DA trigger pull is horrendous, and the recoil is a bit snappy. The new springs will take care of those issues.

The performance of the 9x18 is not the greatest, but it'll do the job. I would recommend using the self defense loadings from Hornady. They seem to squeeze a good amount of performance out of the little 9mm round.

Bottom line is the pistol is a good deal for around 160 dollars. Look online, though. You can possibly get it for around 100 dollars plus the 20 dollars transfer fee (worth looking into).

Good luck.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Sarge,that price at the pawn shop is about what they are going for online,I am not really looking for a shooter,just a good carry gun that I would shoot enough to stay proficient with. And is made from metal,I just cant seem to warm up to plastic guns,call me old school.:D

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went back and they had it marked down to 149 dollars,that was all it took,it is on layaway now. I was recently unemployed drawing ui insurance,I got my first three checks yesterday but I also had 3 separate checks from the feds for 25 dollars each,so I came up with a great idea for what to do with those extra checks,yep Obama is buying me a 9mm pistol. Thanks big O. And I did not even vote for you.:D

·
Registered
175 Posts
I had a Hungarian PA-63 for a couple years as my camping/back country beater pistol. It is a great little gun and I found it to be very reliable. It retired to the dusty lockbox of my offroad rig for a year or so of inadequate maintenance before I sold it and it still went bang every time and was a really fun little gun to shoot. You can't go wrong for the price.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have one, and its great. Mind you, it took a little effort... Detail strip and de-greasing, spring replacement, and Hi-vis to the sights, but it is all worth it. After I got used to it I started to notice that my Browning HP was a big, chunky thing....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts