Firearms Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Helping clean up a couple handguns my father-in-law is wanting to hand down to grandkids.

So deep cleaning this little guy. Seems like a pretty fair clone of a PPK. Mags ar a touch different (no side rib) and there is no loaded chamber indicator or notched rear hammer, but other than that pretty darned close.

from what I’m finding out this was the smallest .380 import and is actually built to the same dimensions as the PPK but had wider grips on the left panel to attain enough width in order to get enough “importation points”. Also found out FEG was contracted by Walther for a short period to make PPKs known as PPK/E variants.

D8C3A37E-B8BD-4A7E-A2E4-08F53EC9EB7C.jpeg
A8D6C06B-8363-47A5-9542-188650F01946.jpeg

·
Supporting Member
12,636 Posts
SSGN

That does look like a fine little Pistol. First glancing at it before I read your information I thought it was a Walthers PPK.
And the Grandkids should really be appreciative.:)

Reactions: SSGN_Doc

·
Premium Member
6,100 Posts
Feg copies a lot of stuff. Used to they made High Powers with the FN trademark on the side. The serial number was the giveaway that the High Power wasn't a legit FN. They.ve made Kareen High Powers. They've made High Powers with their name on it. Copyright infringment wasn't a big deal for them being an Eastern Bloc manufacturer. On the whole they do make quality stuff but fit and finish is just a notch under FN or Walther's usual standards.

·
Registered
7,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I will say that following PPK disassembly and reassembly instructions seems identical. Some of the small parts don’t seem as nicely finished off. And I remembered why I disliked doing a detail strip on the PP/PPK pistols. Reinstalling the trigger guard and the trigger take some finesse.

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
Nice-looking little pistol.

Of the PPK-like pistols, I always thought the SIG P230 and P232 looked pretty great. Never did buy one, though. The P232's seem to be going for about $700-1000 or so, these days.

·
Registered
7,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice-looking little pistol.

Of the PPK-like pistols, I always thought the SIG P230 and P232 looked pretty great. Never did buy one, though. The P232's seem to be going for about $700-1000 or so, these days.
Sig made improvements on the trigger, to be sure. The PP/PPK pistols have always had a super heavy DA pull, which has always been my only real complaint. This Hungarian clone is no different, they copied Walther to the letter, on this.

Makarov, Beretta, Bersa, and Sig all have better feeling DA triggers than the Walthers. The single action is very nice, though.

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
Had they ever been able to have a 9mm Luger in the same basic format, DA/SA, sub-6" OAL and relatively thin and flat-riding for concealment, I'd have jumped on it. So far as I know, they never did. ("They" being Walther, or SIG, or whomever.)

·
Registered
7,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Had they ever been able to have a 9mm Luger in the same basic format, DA/SA, sub-6" OAL and relatively thin and flat-riding for concealment, I'd have jumped on it. So far as I know, they never did. ("They" being Walther, or SIG, or whomever.)
I‘m waiting for the day I come across a used Sig P239 and have money at the same time. Not sub-6” (6.6). But single stack, 9mm, DA/SA, flat and rounded for carry.

·
Administrator
26,578 Posts
Picked up an FEG copy of the 9mm Browning BDA a couple of years ago- chump change. Its a 9R, still in the box with the original papers. Shoots very nicely.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts