Hungarian 9mm Model R-9

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by jim, Aug 16, 2009.

1. jim

jim New Member

Hi: I just joined today and have a few questions on the pistol I have now. It is a Hungarian Arms Works 9mm,Model R-9. It holds 14 in clip,and was made in 1986 and is in mint condition. I wanted to find a complete teardown manual or sheet on it and if there are any after market trigger parts. Also if someone has one, and reloads their own amo, what is the best target round they have come up with.I have shot different rifles and pistols over the last 40 yrs. and do all my own mods.
    Thanks for reading and I hope I get some replies.
    Jim:)

2. rguidebeck

rguidebeck New Member

Morning Jim;

I have the same pistol that I bought new in 1986. I am attaching 2 .jpg files one with article about the FEG P9R disassembly (same pistol) and one with an exploded view from the manual. Hope this helps. I could copy the entire manual, if that would help.

RDG

Attached Files:

3. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

I'm not familar with that exact pistol but it looks to be a Browning High Power clone or copy. I'd check to see if Browning High Power parts fit. It looks like they will but I can't be sure without looking at it in person.

4. baddog

baddog New Member

I just joined today ,was doing a search for exploded view of a Hungarian 9R and came up with this site.I would like to thank rguidebeck for the file copy.
    Thanks
    bd

5. Srcates

Srcates New Member

Has anyone been able to successfully field strip the R-9?
    I've looked at the break attached above but can't seem to be able to remove the slide. Anyone with tips that could help would be greatly appreciated.

6. baddog

baddog New Member

Make sure gun is unloaded , remove clip,lock slide back with slide stop,with slide back on the right side of gun just above trigger is the end of the slide stop ,push it in to the left ,from the left side pull slide stop out the rest of the way,put safety half way between safe and fire position ,remove slide to the front.

7. 6Actual

6Actual New Member

Video

FEG Hi Power disassembly :D
    its a little different than the R9 but maybe it will help

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVD4qtuWqho]FEG PJK-9HP (Browning Hi Power clone) Field strip/disassembly - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  8. Pinecone

Pinecone New Member

This is not a Hi-Power clone at all, even though externally it looks like one. This is a combined clone of the S & W Models 39/59. The internals are engineered just like the Model 39. Although the parts are of like function, they are not exchangeable with the S & W pistol. The magazine is a double stack 14 rounder more like the Model 59. Complete takedown is as described in the above Q & A. I have owned one of these since 1994 and for the last several years, is the only 9 mm I have owned. It is of topnotch quality and I've never had an issue with mine. I have been gunsmithing for 48 years and if it was of poor quality, it wouldn't be in my gunsafe........Dick

9. SRM1

SRM1 New Member

I just put an R-9 in layaway at a local pawn shop. Do you have any idea where I might get a few extra mags?

10. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Compare your hard to find magazine with others, especially the regular Hi Power magazine and the 5906 mag. IIRC it is very much like the S&W magazine but the notch for the magazine catch needs to be lower. If you can't find original magazines you may have to modify the 5906 mag. I don't think any common mag will work without modification.

11. Pinecone

Pinecone New Member

Hi-Power mags will not work in this pistol. Check with Jack First, Numrich or Brownell's for availability or a good source. I wrote a very good article on the P9R in the June 2016 American Gunsmith magazine on this very pistol, mainly because there is very little info out there on it. Check on line with American Gunsmith to see if they still have back copies. They should as it was recently published. Best regards...........Dick Maheu

12. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I'll have to look for your article on the P9R, Dick. As you say, there's not a lot of information on this interesting pistol. I picked one up years ago and it's not a bad range gun. I got it because it was cheap, looked like a Hi Power and I didn't own a DA/SA pistol at the time so was curious. It's kind of a likable red-headed stepchild, it doesn't deserve a seat at the head of the table but you feed it cheap 9mm once in a while!

13. SRM1

SRM1 New Member

Thanks for the info on the mag's. I really not sure if I'm going to go through with the purchase. Sounds like if I needed any parts, they might be hard to get. Very little info on the R-9, but I do like the 3rd generation S&W's. I have the 6906 and love it. Very reliable. The R-9 is in excellent condition and a nice looking piece, but I'm just not sure.

14. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

there are lots of uncommon guns available that are excellent guns to own and shoot, and will last for many, many years with reasonable care and attention. but the problem lies in that many times, parts can be difficult or even expensive if they need to be replaced or repaired. and many times aftermarket parts such as magazines can be difficult to find as well.

15. B6332d

B6332d New Member

Hope this helps.. The Hungarian Arms Works R-9 is manufactured by Fegyver Es Gepgyar (FEG) model P9R. This firearm is patterned after the Browning Hi-Power. And is imported by Interarms, Out of Alexandria, Virginia USA.