Huldra

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by blucoondawg, Dec 16, 2011.

1. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

Anyone have an opinion on Huldra brand ar15? The Mills Fleet Farm chain has recently started carrying them in my area buy I haven't heard of anyone locally buying one yet.

2. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Well, with all the known to be good AR brands out there I wouldn't be first in line to buy that thing! :D

As usual the devil's in the details.

3. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

can't say that I have.......

4. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Mills Fleet Farm 

They look interesting. Judging by the look of the gas block, maybe based off Adams Arms piston kits. JP triggers, melonited barrels. Good looking specs. But at that price point, I honestly would get someone's that's been in the game for a bit. You don't know if they are fly by night, don't know if they even have a customer service department, and no history on how they'd treat you if you had any issues. I'd honestly spend my money elsewhere, at those prices there's soooooooo much you'd have access to.

5. jwsturr

jwsturr New Member

"In Norwegian folklore, the sometimes naked, mythically mysterious and tricky Huldra is a stunningly beautiful woman with long hair and a cow’s tail that lives in the forest realm of the trolls."

Sounds alluring, just crop the tail.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  6. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

There's a huge article on another site where the owner or owners son was put on trial by fire. It would probably give you all the info you need and then some if you're willing to read the entire thing.

7. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

I kinda like the tail.....yeeeeehawwwww

8. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

They are made by Adams Arms.

I bought one of the mid-length uppers. It has worked ok for me, handles Wolf steel case very well.

9. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

Gatoragn, do you know if Huldra or Adams Arms HP/MP tests their uppers, it doesn't say on the websites that I can find

10. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I cannot say for certain about the testing.

I bought my Huldra upper at Mills Fleet Farm. One of the members of the Mills family is a serious 3 gun competitor and uses a Huldra. If the Huldra was not dependable, I am sure the Mills family has enough money to buy any AR15 on the market. The Huldra upper is competively priced and you can walk into a Fleet Farm store and walk out with one. I have no regrets about having a Huldra piston upper in my safe.

11. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

I have heard Adams Arms pistons handles steel ammo pretty good. Actually, the only malfunctions I know of with their piston system was on the sons of guns "Desert AR" episodes, and that was mostly due to malfunctioning people putting a gun together. I wouldn't get it just to handle the steel ammo, but if you are going to get an add-on piston, Adams Arms seems to be the way to go. Pretty new to manufacturing the whole AR, but I haven't read or heard anything bad from people who bought them. If they don't cost too much, might be worth a try.

12. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

Ya their piston system seems to be one of the better ones, the complete upper is $600 which isn't a terrible price, the barrel is melanited rather than chrome lined, supposedly they have done something different with the BCG to eliminate the "carrier tilt" which causes wear on the upper receiver and is supposedly an issue with piston uppers, however I haven't seen any real testing to prove any of that. I'd like to get their upper as I like what I hear about melanite barrels and I like the cleaner cooler action of the piston system, but then I am dependant on Adams Arms for replacement parts. Just trying to weigh the pros and cons.

13. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

I think what they did, which is what all of the piston AR companies are starting to do, is keep the carrier full auto and add mass in the front of the carrier just to balance it out. I have seen carriers from different companies, and they all seem to do this. My guess is the heavier carrier is harder to push down. Adams use to just sell a striker key in place of the gas key, and from my understanding, there wasn't really an issue back then, just a few shavings on the semi auto carriers.