Huh ? What ?

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by MobileMarine, May 9, 2011.

1. MobileMarine

MobileMarine New Member

Shot my browning safari in a 7mag with the boss for the first time yesterday w/o ear plugs , I think I have ruined my last good ear . All i have to say is DAMN thats a loud one . Very accurate but loud , So loud I think if you missed the deer he would still die from the shock of hearing it , if he still fails to die you can give it up b/c you just scared off any living creature with in a 2 mile radius

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Always wear earplugs and eye protection. They even have ear muffs designed to be worn when hunting.

One shot can do it.

3. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

It is true that one shot can do it. This a transposed post of mine from another thread:

4. Cory2

Cory2 New Member

@mesinge2

That ringing sound isn't gone and it never will be gone, your brain simply blocks it out because it deems it unneeded information. Sometime when you have some free time and you are somewhere realy quite, such as when you are going to bed, concentrate very carefully and you will more than likely still be able to hear the ringing. Once the damage is done it is done for good and your ears do not heal, any and all hearing loss through damage is permanant.... So they say anyway (they being doctors).

5. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Why the heck would you do that? :confused:

6. MobileMarine

MobileMarine New Member

well th only time i USE to wear muffs is when shooting the snubbie 357 , heck even when shooting the 300 winmag it wasnt that bad , im thinking the muzzle brake had a lot to do with it . kinda funny since i only stick my finger in one ear

7. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

That was STUPID.

8. Boggy5

Boggy5 New Member

My dad is one of those old-timers who never shot with ear muffs or ear plugs. Now he gets made fun of all the time at family events and he has no idea :) The only time I don't wear them is when I'm hunting. Most of the time it's only one shot, and I'm leery about those ear muffs they say can be used for hunting and only block out the loud noises...guess I should try them before I knock them though.

9. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Why in the world would you ever shoot without hearing protection? That makes as much sense as sticking your hand in a fire and complaining about getting burned.

10. wmille01

wmille01 New Member

Ya did that once to damn ringing lasted for two days

11. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

I don't wear ear muffs when hunting, otherwise I always do, except for when I get a new gun. I always fire a magazine or two, then take my ear muffs off for one shot.

I just want to know what to expect if I ever fired the gun in SD. Of course it would probably be indoors so it would be much worse. I've always wondered if the adrenaline/heightened senses would help my hearing after the first shot or if the ringing would just drown everything out.

12. jgand72

jgand72 New Member

Last weekend I was at the range. Before I left, I realized I had a round still in the chamber of my AR. I aimed down range, and BAM!!! I forgot my earplugs were around my neck, and not in my ears. Still hearing ringing.

I just got a pair of those electronic earmuffs, I'm going to try them out this week. Earplugs alone haven't been doing the trick for me anyway. Even with them in I can hardly hear by the time I leave the range.

13. Cory2

Cory2 New Member

Those earmuffs for hunting work marvelously. They are kind of freaky, I was using a pair of my buddies when were were out shooting and my friends were standing about 20 yards away and I could hear them breathing like they were right over my shoulder but when I released the bolt on the ak and started to rock and roll everything got real quite. As soon as i stopped firing I could hear them breathing like they were right there. If you are concerned that you would'nt be able to hear as well then you are mistaken. You will be able to hear things you didn't even know existed with those amplifying shooting muffs.

14. winds-of-change

I was able to try Bear's electronic ear protection when I went shooting with him. It was pretty amazing to hear everyone talking but the muffs deadened loud sounds. I don't know how they work, but they do work. I think they would be ideal for hunting.

15. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

Do you remember what brand they were? Using both plugs and muffs isn't working too well, my magnums still start the ringing once and a while. I think that the sound is actually being magnified between the plug and the earmuff. Kind of like an echo in cave, if that makes sense. So, I've got to try something else.

I still hate that idiot with the 500. :mad:

16. winds-of-change

No, sorry, I don't. PM him and ask. I do remember he said they were pretty cheap ones. Angry Bald Guy had a pair of electronic ears, too.

17. MobileMarine

MobileMarine New Member

I resorted to a wire nut for the rest of my shooting lol . better than a stick ! now thats dedication