Huh? Decibel level of 9mm, 45acp, 12ga...

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by CHLChris, Jul 30, 2012.

1. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Something goes bump in the night and you have a 4.5" 9mm, a 5" 1911 in 45acp, and a 12gauge shotgun all sitting there next to you. You are equally proficient on all 3 and can hit equally well.

Of course no ear protection since it is your hallway! :eek:

Which one do you pick up, merely on the basis of how much it will decimate your ears shooting it unprotected 1-4 times in your hallway?

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I don't own any of those guns posted but I'd shoot the one I think will stop the threat the best. The noise is a minor factor, to me, in a moment like that.

3. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

Agreed, I'll pick up a snubnose 45-70 if it's handy.

4. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Hearing is a non-factor in this case. Of course the noise/flash is one reason I'd never have a snubby 357mag laying around as a primary HD option, but temporary hearing is a minor concern in the moment...even with the potential to be a bit more than "temporary". I believe you're a music teacher, which would understandably place more concern on protecting your ears.

I'll choose the 12ga if I intend to hunker down. I might prefer a pistol if I'm going to roam around a bit and investigate (because there's really no telling where such a walkabout would take you...to your car?...up the street?..into the neighbor's yard?). Handgun caliber would not matter...anything 9mm or better, with a medium to full frame.

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Shots fired "for real" do not sound like much. The brain has a way of shutting down unwanted/unneeded stuff in a time of crisis. Auditory exclusion is the term that is used to describe the phenomenon. Many people describe hearing law "popping" sounds and no ringing of the ears after shooting large handguns in enclosed spaces.

Tachypshychia is another phenomenon that occurs. Time seems to slow down to a crawl because the brain is processing iniformation at a very rapid pace.

6. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

kinda like hunting, you barely hear your shot, and it never affect you like when target shooting.

ive exprienced this several times. its so crazy. feels like you can see and remember everything.

7. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I'd be more concerned what's going to do the least damage to

the house, my hearing would be the least of my concerns,

when the time comes.

My personal ballistic tests on wood, plywood, laminated

particle-board, underlayment,

cans, and the like, have shown me that a .45, of the

ones mentioned, would probably spend it's terminal energy

best in an intruder...

8. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Robo' Right...

I was fortunate enough to never need to drop the hammer during my service but I have dropped many deer, most with a 30-06 and no hearing protection.

I don't remember any that resulted in ear ringing or any other adverse effects...

That's not to say there's no damage, very well may be but I've not noticed it.

I do however keep my .357 SP 101 "truck gun" loaded with .38 Special because I just know touching off a .357 Mag in an enclosed cab would be painful.

I'm sure you could google decibel ratings and I would thing the 12 G loaded with anything but slugs would be the lowest reading.

Tack

9. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Wow, this is good! I'm just trying to figure out if I should have my 1911 5" or my XDM9 4.5" by my bed each night. I really like my hearing. (sweeper22, I'm very impressed with your perception and memory!)

Tachypsychia is a good word.

BTW, this thread isn't about the features of the actual weapons. That stuff is in a million other threads. This one is about the BOOM in your room. Which BOOM messes you up less?

10. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Honestly Chris, I think factory workers, helicopter crews, and avid concert goers have a greater risk of hearing loss/damage than shooter who religiously use hearing protection while training and take the occasional unprotected shot/shots in self defense or at game animals.

I'm no expert bit I've always heard that it's "sustained" high decibles and not the occasional blast that causes permanent injury.

I've not met many shooters, hunters, or cops with hearing problems unless they were north of 70 YO. I have however, had to shout my conversations at every earthwork subcontractor I've ever hired. Jackhammers and heavy equipment seem to do far more damage than dumping deer in the field or goblins in the hallway. :)

Tack

11. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

No problem.

I don't sleep with the hearing aids anyway.

12. gollygee

gollygee New Member

Here are some statistics on decibel levels of various firearms/calibers. I just glanced through them & seems there isn't enough difference in some calibers that you'd be able to sense the difference. The accoustics of your home will vary the perceived difference somewhat.

http://www.freehearingtest.com/hia_gunfirenoise.shtml

13. eborden1122

eborden1122 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

My guess is the 9mm would be softer on the ears.

14. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

15. gollygee

gollygee New Member

12 ga., 18" barrel = 161.5 db

9mm = 159.8 db

45 ACP = 157.0 db

My guess is you will not be able to hear the difference of 4.5 db.

16. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I do know that the math of decibels is geometric, not algebraic, meaning that a change from 157db to 159db doesn't sound big. That math sounds like it is a little more than 1% louder. In actuality, 159db is TWICE as LOUD as 157db! Amazing, huh? Thus from those #'s 12ga is about 4x as loud as 45acp.

We can't mistake stopping power for sound level. The 9mm round is "louder" because the bullet is supersonic and the crack is perceived as louder sound, compared to the subsonic boom of the 45 round.

However, booms are associated with greater pain than high-pitched cracks. All other things being equal (if that were possible), perhaps the 1911 government is the better bedside gun...

17. JonM

JonM Moderator

thats actually a huge decrease.

a glass bottle breaking is around 115-118 decibels.

18. GlockRenegade

GlockRenegade New Member

Ill take the 9mm. But thats just me and what I shoot most. Sometimes at the range ill fire a few off with no ears.. lol just like to do it every now and then, and yes bells are ringing. But in a high stress situation like others mentioned, you should still be able to not even notice how loud it is.

19. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Do that enough times, Renegade, and you won't "even notice how loud it is," guaranteed. :)

20. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Fascinating. I have always wondered about defense situations & hearing protection. Have there been any studies done to find out whether there is a mechanism that actually prevents hearing damage under these circumstances?