HP38 Load issue

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by partdeux, Nov 12, 2015.

1. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

For the first time I've run into an issue.

So far, I've targeted the middle of a load and never had an issue. I've loaded 231 and right in the middle of the load resulted in velocity right in the middle. Moved on to CFEP, and no matter what bullet, it worked no problem. Found it to be too dirty and went to HP-38.

Hornady HAP 125. 3.1gr 1.069 OAL.

Thanks to my prior great experience, I expected same level of performance. Wife and I went to the range and as she got into those rounds, fail to eject, stove pipe, all kinds of fun. She tried both her 9's, no diff. So I grabbed my comp gun which eats everything I put into it... same thing.

Could I have a bad batch of powder? I did buy this from an online source, could they have sent me some bait and switch?

2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Most of the starting loads I find are beginning at 4.1gr. So, those are probably considered reduced loads at best. May have to scrap that lot, or pull the bullets and recharge. Also can look at reduced power springs. Hopefully you started with a small lot as s new load.

3. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

The HAP is a "Match-Target" design, so the loading data is extremely low.The HAP data is for pistols with greatly reduced spring weight for competition.

Try it with 3.5-4.0 grains and I'll betcha your problems go bye-bye!:p

4. partdeux

I grabbed a shell out of the Dillon and weighed the powder...

Holy crap, my 650 has dropped the exact same amount of powder, within the accuracy of my one decimal place digital scale, each and every time I've every weighed it.

How I suddenly ended, and even more importantly when, started dropping 2.0g... sigh.

There's an easy 750 rounds over three different sessions :(

First up, pull some bullets out of each batch and weigh the powder. Maybe I'll get lucky, and it's only the last batch of 200.

then I have to figure out why and how I went from perfect drops to this mess :(

finally, I want to understand the higher powder suggestion :)

5. locutus

6. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I load 125 gr HAP bullets with 4.5 grains of HP-38. 3.1 is light. 2.0 is ridiculous.

I check powder drop every 100 rds. My OLD Dillon RL450 is match consistent.

If I am loading a "plinking" load, I use 125 gr cast bullets. The HAP is not designed for expansion, but through a 16" AR and a warm load, it expands nicely and controllably. Many conventional HP bullets over expand at the increased velocities of the rifle

7. partdeux

what OAL are you using?

4.5 is crazy, that must fill the entire case?

8. locutus

That's a pretty normal load. Hodgdon lists it at 32 KPSI. Way, way below max pressure.

And what's wrong with filling the case? Compressed loads are usually more efficient (velocity per grain of powder) and more accurate)

9. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I load most pistol ammo to max oal. Just fits the magazine w/o contact. That load shoots one hole 7 yard groups in most every gun I've ever run it through

10. partdeux

I have a better understanding of why the OAL is so short. Bullet design has it hitting the rifling much sooner than most other bullets. However, that powder is still too light.

Stepping way out of recipe, set the OAL to 1.125 with 4.2gr. Awesome very accurate rounds, no cycling issue, but only ran it through my comp gun... however, a few rounds needed a little extra encouragement to chamber.

I made a few with OAL of 1.09, as it looks like 1.100 still contacts the rifling.

I'm baffled by the low charge and slow speeds in the recipe for this bullet, when other similar wt bullets use a much higher charge. I called Hodgdon for guidance and info and got the "corporate" answer.

11. partdeux

This keeps getting better, damn I wish the weather and time of the year cooperated to allow me to set up the chrony!

With my gun completely cleaned and well lubed up, I actually got 3.0gr 1.069 to run through the xdm 5.25... about 2/3 of the 49 rounds I tried. xds was ugly, I only tried one round.

Bullets came out so slow, I'd bet they could be thrown down range faster.

Based on feel alone, 1.090 with 4.0gr is probably near 1000fps, or slight lower. Slide cycled fine on both forearms.

12. locutus

You probably wouldn't like my standard 9MM load. 125 Remington FMJ over 7.5 HS-6 at ` 1350 FPS;)

13. partdeux

A bit fast :)

I'm dumbfounded by the recipe that won't cycle 3 separate firearms.

Maybe over Christmas I can get out to the outdoor range and set the Chrono up and measure the speed. I'll save some of the recipe loads to check the speed.

14. mseric

mseric New Member

[​IMG]

15. partdeux

Thanks Mseric,

I did exactly that to determine 1.100 was about .002 too long, and chose the 1.090 to account for variation.

I'm getting more and more anxious to chrony these bullets. I'm wondering if Hodgdon has an typo in their recipe.