How's that safety work?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by partdeux, May 25, 2012.

1. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

Ok, wife doesn't carry often, but she was going into an area where she wanted to make sure she carried... especially after yesterday while walking to work, she had three kids on bikes that rode back and forth by her until she stood right in front of them and fronted them, with a frozen water bottle... she can't carry at work.

So back to the story, she calls me at work and says "where's the safety on the baby gun". She calls her Bersa .380 a baby gun, so I ASS.U.ME she's talking about her gun. IDK, I've shot the damn thing once, hate it, it's not mine, and would be the last firearm I would pick up. I have no idea without looking at it. But, I was being a nice and suggested it has a lever on the side. She doesn't see a lever... {sigh} I hope she doesn't need it.

She gets home and shows me her new fanny pack carry, and I pull the gun out. WTF, it's my LCP. So, now I have to ask which "baby" gun. IDK if she's ever shot my "baby" gun.

Life was good, no problems, but damn we gotta work on communication! And the next time we go to the range, she's going to shoot it. Me thinks it will be the last time she picks that firearm up, LOL.

2. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Wow that could be a scary and unexpected incident caused by a little confusion. Yes you both need more communication and she needs a brief tutorials how your guns work.
    My wife needs some basic tutorials about guns too IN CASE she ever needs it when i'm not around for the sake of safety. ;(

3. gollygee

gollygee New Member

Is this the pistol you are referring to?

http://www.bersa.com/bersa-firearms/thunder-series.html

The safety is actually a decocker/safety with horizontal being the fire position. After chambering a round, move the lever down to safely decock the hammer & it is on safe. Since the motion to take it off safety is backwards to other pistols I carry, I carry mie with the safety off, as many others do. The long double action trigger pull for the first shot is as safe as carrying a revolver.

4. partdeux

gg,

She knows how to operate her firearm, I made the mistake of assuming she was asking about her own damn gun.

Picking up a firearm you've never shot before as a SD weapon didn't strike me as being particularly wise.

maybe we'll make a range trip on sunday!

5. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

My wife carries a J frame in 22 mag. Whenever I have to take a trip and leave her alone I leave a big bore revolver in her night stand. I have too many guns to teach her the safety on all of them.

6. gollygee

gollygee New Member

I kinda figured I misunderstood & you're right about picking up an SD weapon you know nothing about. :) That's what puzzles me about ads for concealed carry classes which say they have "loaners" available. Who'd take a class with a firearm they haven't used?

7. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

"That's what puzzles me about ads for concealed carry classes which say they have "loaners" available. Who'd take a class with a firearm they haven't used? "
    When I was teaching I always had at least one auto and one revolver available as loaners. Sometimes people would forget their gun or ammo, sometimes they just wanted to try out a different one. Sometimes I would suggest a different gun if I seen they were having trouble with the one they brought with them. Many would bring guns that belonged to other people.

8. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

LCP doesn't have a safety, does it?

9. partdeux

No, it does not, which was why I was so confused by her question. Instead of a safety, it's a double action trigger with the most gawd awful trigger I think ever invented... but it is such a tiny little carry piece.

10. winds-of-change

I looked long and serious at the LCP. I liked the gun but decided on something else.

11. gollygee

gollygee New Member

I guess that'd work. Here, the qualification at the range includes being able to show you safely & efficiently operate the pistol. The instructor is not allowed to aid you in loading, clearing jams, etc. For some, operating an unfamiliar pistol may be a piece of cake, but for some I've seen at the range, forget it! :)

12. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Rick;
    These are a great approach. Get the Mrs. a brick of the Hornady 45 gr. Critical Defense .22 Mag for her carry. Practice with the half-as-expensive stuff. Fire the sev en rounds out quarterly, clean, replace.

The OP's wife needs the same setup!

Last edited: May 26, 2012
  13. partdeux

OP's wife is incredibly accurate with her Bersa .380 and out shoots her husband with her 9mm ;) Accuracy with .22, depends on who's been shooting more recently. We joke around, in the case of a home invasion, she gets the guns, I get the phone.

I love and hate the LCP, it's incredibly light, and has decent accuracy, but it kicks like a mule. throwing in a pocket before going on a bike ride, or in her case, a fanny pack.

14. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I wish my wife could handle a .380. She can't rack the slide on any of my autos. 22 mag was the best we could come up with that she could fit in her purse. She carries 12 pounds of crap in her purse but insists on carrying a lite gun. I dont get it. We had a steel framed 357 mag that she could shoot. But it made her purse too heavy!!!!! I am just glad that she carries something. And she does practice with it. She has a laser too.

15. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

OK Rick, but now that the gun and caliber is determined, optimize the effectiveness with the best ammo you can to do that. I understand your skepticism of the .22 Mag in a snub-nose. Do what you can for the Mrs. as mentioned.

16. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

Based on my observations after a career in rescue work, I would much rather be shot by a .380 than a .22 mag. In fact, given a choice, I would rather get hit with a 9mm than a .22 mag. Ballistics numbers are great comparison points, but when you get to see as many flesh and bone incidents as I have, you come to realize that the 22 mag is a mean little mama.

Edit: If you are dead set on a .380, try out a Sig P 238. It's a totally different weapon from your LCP.

17. partdeux

Doc,

After listening to the guy that did the caliber study, shot placement is more important then size, especially when it comes to knock down capability.

18. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

Just remember, shot placement is a three dimensional concept. Your shot(s) need to be high enough to hit something vital, close enough to the center line to hit something vital, and still have enough penetration energy left to destroy something vital.

The object of the exercise is to stop the fight right this second. Having a round that doesn't meet the third placement requirement without a helping hand from Lady Luck is not the best way to go. However, based on concealment requirements or physical limitations, it may be the only way to go. In those cases practice is critical, but being aware of your surroundings is even more critical. Avoiding the fight is the most important thing you can do if you are under-gunned.

19. winds-of-change

In my opinion, avoiding the fight is the most important thing you can do even if you aren't undergunned. You want to avoid that fight in any case, I would think. But if you can't avoid it in any way.........

20. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Gee, honey,

How does the *B L A M !* safety work?:D