How's Marlington doing these days?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by NotMormon, Mar 31, 2012.

1. NotMormon

NotMormon Member

I've been fiending over a 45/70 GBL lately but I'm still leery of pulling the trigger, so to speak. Anyone know if they are getting their QC headed in the right direction? I'm sure these things take time to overcome and I'm sure Remington has no intention of running the Marlin name into the ground.

I guess the Henry 45/70 is an option but it's an ugly one.

2. NotMormon

NotMormon Member

OhKay.....I guess they are still sucking!

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i have heard the biggest problems were with the lever action rifles and that quality and fit were getting better. i have a Marlin XS7VH in 308 that was made after the move and it is as good as any of the other X7 rifles i have that made prior to the move in operations to the Remington New York plant.

4. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

I'd comment further, but I haven't a clue what you're talking about??? :(

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

i bought a new 45/70GBL a few months ago. works great. fit and finish is good but not like it was 100 years ago but few things are. mine holds about 1.5 to 2 moa open sights. only negatives is the plastic magazine follower and the V ladder type sights. both of which are easy to replace should you wish to.

here is mine:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i forgot to wipe my prints off it before taking pics :/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. NotMormon

NotMormon Member

See! It's a dead sexy boom stick! I went with my buddy a few months back to pick up his stainless big loop. They had a few on the rack and all three of them had dented tubes and stripped out lever screws. The actions were really rough and still had shavings in them. Shortly after that, there were no Marlin lever guns on the racks for a while. That put me off and then I started reading the problems that other people have had after the Remington take over.

But I can wait no longer.....if I can find one with an unmolested mag tube, I can deal with the rest. And yep, the plastic follower and sights will be the first things to get changed out.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

i ordered mine through a local shop. nothing at all wrong or amiss. i havent changed anything yet. i inspected all the marlins they had for sale and all were in good shape

8. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Remington did not buy out Marlin. they are still two different companies, both owned by the Freedom Group which is owned by Cerberus Capital Investments. they were bought by the Freedom Group about five years ago and just recently moved the Marlin operations to the Remington Plant late 2010. the Freedom Group also owns, DPMS, Bushmaster, H & R 1871, NEF, AAC, Dakota Arms, Barnes Bullets, L C Smith, and others.

9. billt

billt New Member

This is my .45-70 Guide Gun that was purchased well before Cerberus, (Freedom Group), purchased Marlin. It's the older ported model. It is very similar to Jon's rifle made after the take over. I'd hate to live on the difference found in the fit and finish of either gun. The lower photo is my Golden 39-A that I bought new in 1999. I compared it to one I saw in a local shop a few weeks back. It was every bit as nice. Again, I could detect no difference in quality.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Gonzilla

Gonzilla Active Member

Sweet 39A you've got there. I sold mine in the late 80s and have regretted it ever since. The new one I saw at Cabelas, well, it sucked ! Action was gritty as hell and the price was sky high. QC was out to lunch and Henry is the only choice left.

11. huffmanite

huffmanite New Member

I have two Marlin bolt rifles. Bought my first one, an XL7 25-06, not that long after they were first introduced by Marlin. My second one was made after the Freedom Group acquired Marlin and moved the bolt action production to Kentucky. This is a .308 XS7HV barrel rifle. The .308 Marlin/Freedom Group rifle had a problem in rifleing/lands near muzzle.....they were very rough, cross marks in them. Licensed gunsmith borescoped rifle and recommended last inch or so of barrel be removed. Dispite the end of bore, rifle shot fairly accurately. After 100-150 rounds and my kinda lapping the lands/rifleing near muzzle....accuracy has improved and much less copper fouling with it. Other than that, nothing different about fit, finish and etc. between the two rifles.

12. bigjim

bigjim New Member

Sorry, can't help you, bought both my Marlins before they were sold (the company).

Jim