Firearms Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, I didn't make my introduction earlier.

I've been a long time shooter and belong to several gun forums but recently found this one and see that it is a great spot for more generalized shooters than some which are more focused on particular makes.

I started shooting when I was about 8. Parents sent me to my first shooting camp when I was 12. I'm 42 now, so I've been around guns for awhile. I like to grow in my knowledge on many platforms. I really focused on rifles and pistols, and have recently figured out that I need more rounding in my skills and knowledge of the shotgun.

My handle gives some clues about me. I've been in the Navy as a Hospital Corpsman for just about 19 years now. Back in 2000 I opted to go the submarine route and became a Independent Duty Corpsman for Submarines. I've spent over 10 of the last 12 years working in the submarine force. Currently I'm attached to a SSGN submarine in Georgia, but am getting ready to transfer across country to Washington, where I will be going back to a hospital, and most likely a ground deployment mixed in there in the next three years before I retire.

I like the outdoors, and have dabbled in bow hunting, trapping, black powder, fishing, fly fishing, deep sea fishing, diving, boating, kayaking and a lot of shooting. Gun interests are very broad, but I have devoted a lot of time to the AR-15, the Beretta 92, the Mossberg 500 and civilian versions of firearms that I may be issued. I've also become a fan of 1911s and Glocks for different competition uses. I also like Soviet small arms, mostly in the interest of being proficient in their use if I ever needed to use them in the field.

I am not usually one to poke fun at folks in their choice of guns or make personal atacks on a forum. I will share my opinion, but I feel it's a waste of time and energy to make things personal or take things personally. I try to back up info that I share, from experience or reference, and appreciate learning from other peoples experience or research as well. I like to help new shooters get better, and new gun owners avoid wasting money on things I have wasted my money on in the past on and found lacking. I also like to hear from and learn from more experienced shooters than myself.

So, I tend to speak kind of straight and to the point sometimes, but am willing to take on other suggestions. I may seem stuborn in letting my own opinion drop. But if someone can convince me of better reasoning, I am definitely willing to find new and better ways of doing things or trying new products.

I look forward to hanging out some over here and learnng more.

·
Administrator
26,131 Posts
Welcome, Doc- glad to have you here. Pull up a chair, beer is in the washtub, poker starts at about 10.

We'll send you a bottle of Lysol when you head for the left coat- damned mildew gets into everything. We have a few members from the Pacific Northwest- easy to ID them- squishy noises when they walk, and no bright lights.

I'm retired Army- we have Navy, Marines, Air Force, and I think a Coasty or two mixed in. We also have members from other nations that drop in from time to time, and some folks that are active duty (Conus and deployed). Come to think of it, we have had one active duty submariner- he was headed for Pearl.

Keep a good sense of humor, ask questions when you have them, contribute to the discussion when you have something to add, and have fun.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Welcome to the forum Doc. I'm an ol salt myself. I've been shooting for 50 years but temporary out of order. I'm going through some rehab now but will start back in six month's. I have many guns and reload and restore guns. I'm retired and this place is what keeps me from going bonkers while in rehab, this is about all I can do. I'm not as smart on guns as C3Shooter and CaneBrake, but I'm close behind. Join the Bunker, we have lots of fun in there. You get free APC's:D for everything. LOL

·
Registered
21,822 Posts
Hey fellow "bubblehead"!!

to the FTF community. We are glad to have you as a new member!

All you need here is a thick skin and the ability to laugh at anything, including yourself!

Please read the following, it will save all of us a lot of time and trouble:

Please DO NOT post (including in your signature) advertisements, links to sell or advertise if you are not a vendor.

New folks- Please read this!!! << Click Here

FTF Newcomer's Guide << Click Here

How To Post Pics on FTF << Click Here

FTF's List Of Acronyms << Click Here

Join the Gun Owners of America, a worthy 2nd Amendment protector.

Gun Owners of America << Click Here

·
Registered
7,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, being a bubblehead yourself, you know a thick skin comes with the territory.

Thanks for the welcome and the links.

Hope I can contribute some and expand my learning as well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Howdy Doc! Im pretty new here too. Ex A ganger myself. 91-95. I was on the Rhode Island and did a patrol on the Pennsylvania.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts