Howdy, from N E Texas

Discussion in 'Texas Gun Forum' started by confederatemule, Feb 17, 2012.

1. confederatemule

confederatemule New Member

I am in the Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana, corner of Texas. The nearest town is Redwater, but, I get my mail from Maud. I don't know what town I belong to. Actually, I don't live in any town. I do live in Texas, though.

Mule

2. rigjumpr

rigjumpr New Member

welcome to the forum Home as you know is where you hang your hat.

3. rachilders

rachilders New Member

I'm not too far down the road since I'm here in Longview

4. confederatemule

Thanks fer the welcome. Well, I guess this is home, cause I been hangin my hat here fer 34 years, come March 2012.

5. confederatemule

No, not too far away, around 80 miles, give or take a little.

6. markej4801

markej4801 New Member

Glad to hang my hat here too, since I live over in Arlington. Have lived in TX for a few years (since 1991) with NO plans to move back to the frozen wastelands of Ohio. :D Have been gently involved in firearms for only a few years now, but absolutely believe in my right/duty to use my CHL to its fullest advantage. Since I'm a vegetarian, I don't see much need to take down any animals. I don't feel it's wrong in any way, just not a need for me. So defense and range shooting is my whole experience of shooting sport. I've been doing a LOT of reading and am actively involved in several discussions online. Interested to hear other's history.

7. bowserb

bowserb New Member

Hey Mark. I am also veg, and I'm OK with hog hunting, what with their out of control population growth and incredible damage they do. Just don't have the guns for it yet. So I'm CHL and range shooting. Been in Houston and Texas since 1971. 40 years, and before that high school in Baton Rouge LA, U.S. Army three years, and college at LSU. Yep, I'm getting older, but no plans to leave Texas.

8. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

I'm not too far from you either, I over by the TX/OK border in Lamar county. :D

9. confederatemule

Looks like there may be a few of us in this general area.

10. markej4801

markej4801 New Member

Pest Control

You betcha, hog control is important, just like big rats. Don't know if I have the heart for it, but absolutely see the need. fire on!

11. confederatemule

I ain't a vegetarian, but, I do eat vegetables. I love real meat and prefer wild meat, with the wild taste left in.
    Now to shooting wild animals, I have no problem with killing a beautiful wild animal "TO EAT!!". I don't approve of killing any wild animal, bird, or fish, unless it is for food.
    But...in the case of hogs, they do too much damage. They need to be removed, even if they are shot and left as food for other wild life. Although they are very good to eat and better for a person than a domestic hog. Any wild meat is better for human consumption than domestic animals.

A small portion of my opinion....I have plenty to spare.

Mule

12. markej4801

markej4801 New Member

Can't say that I disagree with you, Mule. Makes loads of sense to harvest your meat from the wild, at least to me. :D

13. xRacerX75x

xRacerX75x New Member

I know I'm a few months late on this but I noticed a few of y'all around my area, just moved to Longview from Tyler. Glad to know I'm not the only local that's a fan of this forum.

14. confederatemule

xRacerX75x, I was in your town (Longview) around 3 weeks ago.
    I was there to visit the motorsikle rally at the fair grounds. Only got lost twice. :)

15. gollygee

gollygee New Member

I'm a little late to this thread also. Don't know how I missed it. Gilmer area here & I use the East Texas Pistol & Rifle Range in Longview. Any of you folks shoot there?

16. xRacerX75x

xRacerX75x New Member

Mule,

It is a little confusing but nit near as bad as Tyler and its traffic lol.

Golly,

I shoot there some with guys from work, several of them are members. I just did my NRA membership and now I'm saving up to get my membership there. It's a great range I think, but that's a decent drive for you ain't it

17. gollygee

gollygee New Member

It's not bad. I list Gilmer 'cause it's probably more recognizable than where I actually live (Union Grove) & probably closer than for you in Tyler. The range is about 20 miles & quite a bit closer than the indoor range I was using there in Tyler.

Yes, I think it's pretty nice also. Charles, the range officer, has done a tremendous job of getting it cleaned up & equipment repaired, compared to what it was just a couple of years ago.

18. xRacerX75x

xRacerX75x New Member

I've heard of Union Grove but never been there lol. I work for the Sheriff's Office in Longview so I patrol near Gladewater, and if I'm not mistaken thats just a little north of there right? I'll have to agree with you they have done a lot to the range, was out there just a couple of weeks ago with a partner from work. And a side note Lock & Load in Tyler no longer allows rifles, stopped going over there when I got chewed on for just bring my rifle in the door when there was no sign posted about it.

19. rachilders

rachilders New Member

Been a member for the last 10 years or so myself (use to be $50 a year). I was just there a few days ago enjoying the nice weather we had here earlier in the week. :D

20. xRacerX75x

xRacerX75x New Member

Just need a little time to save up cause its $180 for a new comer(according to my partner). Where in the area are you from if you don't mind me asking?

And what do all of us shoot?

I myself prefer my AR and Glock but I've got a Ruger and an SKS I rarely shoot.