Howa range report 09-07-09

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by opaww, Sep 12, 2009.

1. opaww

opaww New Member

Date: 09-07-09
    Time: 0800
    Temp: 71-75 Deg. F.
    Humidity: 100% (Light Rain)
    Barometric Pressure: U/K
    Altitude: 900’ Above Sea Level
    Wind: 0 mph
    Range: 100 yards
    Caliber: 308Win.
    Case: Winchester Brass
    Bullet: Sierra 165gr. HPBT Game King
    Powder: RL-15
    Powder weight: 44.2grs
    Primer: CCI 200 (Large Rifle)
    Overall Cartridge Length: 2.796
    Estimated Velocity: 2600fps
    Rifle: Howa 1500
    Barrel length: 24” BBL
    Scope: BSA 8-32x44 Standard MilDot
    Steady Rest: Sandbag

Group 1 was re-sighting in the scope; sense I had to change mounts on the rifle. Once it was re-sighted, I shot 5 groups of 3 shots each. This rifle digested the reloads very well and I think I will stay with this work up.

When Money and time allows I will find a 1000 yard range and sight it for 500 yards and see what this reload can do out at that range.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  2. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Damn nice groups there and report Opaww. Scoped at 100 and looks like that .308 went where it was pointed. Welcome back, hope everything is going alright around your neck of the woods. Which reminds me, I will stay out of. :)

Jack

3. opaww

opaww New Member

Its a little rough right now with taking my mother up to Louisville every day for her cancer treatements. The drive is a ***** sense it is mostly right at rush hour either going or comming.

4. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

Opaww,It looks like you have a keeper in that load and rifle. I'm also glad to see someone other than me have good luck with a BSA scope. I have three of them and they have never let me down,but they could use a higher quality glass for the higher powered scopes.

I also hope your mother's health gets better with her treatments.

5. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Damn! Those groups are a ringing endorsement for the Howa action.

Really great shooting opaww!! Really great!!

I am sorry to hear about your mother - I do hope the treatments take and she shows improvements.

JD

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Nice groups opaww.

Great RR! [​IMG]

Prayers at you for Mom! Be safe on the drives.

7. M14sRock

M14sRock Active Member

Thoughts and prayers to your mom.

And, nice stick. Those Howa actions are hard to beat.

8. opaww

opaww New Member

Thanks everyone for your thoughts of my mom and her cancer it is tough with all the running and the only rest I get is Monday morning when I go to the range. Which I will again do this Monday and see if my shooting was just a fluke or maybe the target felt sorry for me and moved its self so I actually hit it instead of me just hitting the hill side.

I like the loads but was hoping for Hornady 168gr HPBT match kings. It has been hard getting reloading supplies for a while but seems to be getting better. As far as the BSA scope goes I think it is a fair scope for the price.

BSA Side Wheel Focus
    30mm main tube
    Hunting Rifle Scope
    W/Side Parallax Adjustment and Mil Dot Reticle
    8-32x44mm
    Price: $149.00

I really like the side Parallax Adjustment, once you make the adjustment everything seems clear for the most part. Over all not a bad scope, for its purpose. But I am leery of it as a long-range bench rest scope.

With some luck I will one day be able to afford a Schmidt and Bender Police Marksman II 4-16x50mm Rifle Scope at $2500.00 or maybe a Burris Fullfield II 6.5-20x50mm Tactical at $499.00. Until then I am stuck using lesser-cost scopes, which this BSA is good for the price range.

9. Yunus

Yunus New Member

Any modifications on your Howa? I'm guessing no, mine shoots incredibly accurate even with the cheapest of bullets but if you made any mods I'd like to know so I can do the same because those are incredible groups.

10. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Thoughts and prayers for your mom oppaw!

Be Safe, and thanks for the range report!! Well done and what a shooter that 1500 is!

11. opaww

opaww New Member

Update range report

Date: 09-14-09
    Time: 0800
    Temp: 61-65 Deg. F.
    Humidity: 81%
    Barometric Pressure: 30.05 in
    Altitude: 900’ Above Sea Level
    Wind: 5-10 mph. From the NE Actual wind: 0 mph
    Range: 100 yards
    Caliber: 308Win.
    Case: Winchester Brass
    Bullet: Sierra 165gr. HPBT Game King
    Powder: RL-15
    Powder weight: 44.2grs
    Primer: CCI 200 (Large Rifle)
    Overall Cartridge Length: 2.796
    Estimated Velocity: 2600fps
    Rifle: Howa 1500
    Barrel length: 24” BBL
    Scope: BSA 8-32x55 Standard MilDot
    Steady Rest: Sandbag

Tuesday’s shoot was a big disappointment. After Getting set up I looked over everything and it all seemed OK. The settings on the scope were right where they were suppose to be.

Firing the first shot, it hit 5 inches high and 1 inch to the right of center. This should not of happened sense no one touched the rifle sense I cased it last time I shot and thee was no bumps of hard hits to the case nothing should have been off.

Dialing in the scope 20 clicks (one click=1/4 inch at 100 yards) for drop and 4 clicks left it should of hit dead center. Not today, it was 6 clicks low and to the right 1 inch again, but the focus was way out and had to be adjusted. Next shot the focus went out again and the shot was will over 2 inches away from the second shot.

Checking the mounts and rings they were still tight, so I shot a few more rounds only to have to refocus each time and not getting any group under 2 inches I put it up and will be sending the scope back to the manufacture and may be looking at getting a good Hawke Optics, Frontier 8-32x50 MilDot SF Rifle Scope to replace it with.

12. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Cold Bore and without Cold Zero I am assuming.

If your last shots were dead center with a warm bore, especially on a hotter day, your first shot is going to be off.

That is where snipers and police sharpshooters make their money - The Cold Bore Kill Shot.

opaww - have you been trained in the Cold Zero approach? So your first shot is dead nuts, then you make adjustments ( compensate with hold overs ) once the barrel warms up?

13. opaww

opaww New Member

Its been years JD to many to count to remember everything at first so getting back into shooting LR is like starting from frish. But this scope is the problem with it going out of focus each shot and even warm nothing close to a 1 inch group

14. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Geez opaww, I'm sorry that I missed this. Good luck with the scope issue and prayers coming your Mom's way. Drive safe.

15. opaww

opaww New Member

Is cool CA357, its just part of life

16. Edward

Edward New Member

Nice groups opaww. I'm in Vine Grove just over the creek from you. I have a Howa 1500 as well and love it.

17. lonyaeger

lonyaeger Active Member

I know what it's like to have a sick Mom. My prayers go out to both of you.