Howa Model 1500 270 Win.

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Sniper03, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Just picked up a Howa Model 1500 270 Win.C.F. today at a Sheriff's Sale. Was a nice rifle looked almost new. It has Zero wear on the bolt face finish at all, and has a Leupold 3X9 VX II Scope on it.
    Does anyone have a Howa Model 1500 in 270 Win. Tell me about it and also what you would recommend for deer hunting bullet wise. What can I expect accuracy wise. Thinking about taking the rifle to Texas with me in November Deer hunting?

2. ChicagoJoe

ChicagoJoe New Member

Is it one of the new Howas with the three position safety and two stage trigger? If so, it is similar to my Weatherby Vanguard S2, which has the same action but different stock. Mine shoots great - under one MOA with several brands of ammo and groups as small as 9/16" with ammo it really likes. You chose wisely. Happy hunting.

3. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I have had great results shooting Winchester Supreme 140 grain Nosler Accubonds in my Ruger M77, put lots of venison in the freezer.

However, when I run out of my supply of the Winchesters, going to switch to these:
    http://www.hornady.com/store/270-Win-140-gr-SST-Superformance-805431/

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  4. ChicagoJoe

ChicagoJoe New Member

My Howa/Vanguard .308 likes Rem Corelokt 180gr. This is great since you can always find it for around $20/box or $18 on sale. Try several different brands and weights, but include Corelokt in your trials.

5. lfcshooter

lfcshooter New Member

Waiting on a 1500 stainless hb with varmint woodland stock in 308 should be sub moa heard great things about the rifle. Quite A few posts on you tube to check out. Hope it works out well.

6. Sniper03

Thanks for the info! :) I am going to get a couple of different types of ammunition for it the first of the week. And hopefully get some range time. Also to check the present zero and scope out.

7. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

Really I wouldn't be as concerned with accuracy as the right bullet for the conditions or type of game. If the rifle shoots a .75" group at 100 yards with a corelokt ammo but the Winchester XP3 ammo is best for the conditions and the type of game you are hunting I would go with the XP3 even if it shoots a 1.10 group at 100 yards.

There is a rebate on winchester bonded ammo until 12/31/12. See the winchester site to make sure the ammo you are purchasing is part of the rebate program.

8. Sniper03

Crow,

There is nothing wrong with a hunting gun that will shoot 1MOA to 1.5 MOA groups at 100 yards!

I did pick up some 130 Grain Hornady SST 270 Win Rounds today! And will be doing some testing with it and others this week. Has anyone used this round for deer hunting. And After messing around with the Howa being a Remington Bolt gun guy! I can say I am impressed with the action and trigger on it. Real smooth action!
    If everything works out on the range this week I am hoping to take it to Texas hunting along with my 700 CDL in 7MM Remington Mag.

9. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I have taken deer with the SST in 150 grain 308 and 139 grain 280. The SST is a great bullet. I hope to get an opportunity to try out the 120 grain SST in my 6.8 spc this fall.

IMHO, the SST is the best deer bullet on the market today. Other's MMV.

10. powg

powg New Member

2 for texas

your 270 will do the job with any and all hunting loads from any manufactuer. buy a cheap box of corelokts and a box of premo...in the same grn 130 and shoot em both ...if there is enough difference between the groups to spend an extra 20.00 i'll buy your next box . from my experiance the winchester powerpoints in any caliber work well ,as do the power-max hollow points . If your hunting in south texas ,take your 7mag because in the thorns ,fangs and sticking thangs down south, overkill is better than tracking :D

11. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Hornady Custom ammo is very close to the same price point as CoreLokt, Winchester PowerMax, etc. Hornady Superperformance is more expensive, but comparable to Winchester Supreme.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  12. Yunus

Yunus New Member

I have a friend with a Howa 1500 in .243 and he tried at least 10 different hunting rounds looking for the most accurate round. What he found was that it didn't really matter, everything was about the same for accuracy. Everything was good by the way.

13. Huntbear

Huntbear New Member

I have a customized Howa in .257 Ackley Improved. It shoots the lights out. My nephew shoots a Howa in .
    338 WM. MOA or less all day long.

Howa is a good accurate gun. Just find the ammo it likes, or a reload it likes, and go for it.

14. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

That was my point, a small sacrifice in accuracy is well worth having the right ammo for the job. I had to come up with a random number for my comparison.

15. Sniper03

Well, finally got the Howa I got at the Sheriff's sale out to the range today. Stopped by my local gun store yesterday to get some ammunition. I purchased the Hornady Superformance 130 Grain SST rounds which was all he had in Hornady. I had so much good luck with my 308 with Hornady SST 150s in the past I thought I would try some in the 270. But he did not have any 150s so I settled for the 130s. Andy got the gun on paper and close at 100 yards. I then posted this target and started tweaking it in for the final zero. As you can see the first two were high and slightly left! Made adjustments and got one centered but slightly right. Then it came in just fine from there! The trigger has a little creep in it and barely can be detected, but tolerable at this point. I certainly can not complain about the rifles accuracy! Very glad I got it! It will be one of the rifles going to Texas with me don't you agree? Are the Howa triggers adjustable? Have not had time to do any research on this as of yet! If not, it will in the future probably get a new trigger when I get back from this years hunt.
    Thanks for the information from all of you. I will see and let you know how the 130s do on the hunt.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  16. ChicagoJoe

ChicagoJoe New Member

Sniper, in answer to your question, the Howa/Vanguard trigger is adjustable. They come from the factory set around three pounds (mine was 2.75), so there is no need to adjust the weight down for field hunting. You noted that the trigger has some creep; that is by design. The Howa 1500/Vanguard S2 have a two stage trigger that has about 1/8 inch of take-up.

17. Sniper03

powg,,

Yes sir I will be taking my Old Faithful the 700 CDL 7MM Rem. Mag also! It would be sacrilegious not to take my favorite hunting rifle. And you are absolutely correct! Everything in Texas rather sticks, stings or bites!