Firearms Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for wisdom and experience. I found a brand new Howa M1500 308 with 20" heavy barrel fluted, hogue stock, and a Niko sterling 4-16x44 mildot scope for $699.99. Is this a good deal? Is Howa a good manufacturer, and is Niko sterling a good scope?

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
Not so sure about the scope. Pretty sure they are a inexpensive Chinese scope. Howa rifles though are very well made. The same barreled actions are used by Weatherby for their more entry level rifles.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Take a look at the Weatherby Vangaurd S2 24" barrel also..almost the same and the new stocks are nice modeled after the MkIV, about $450.00 and very accurate guaranteed MOA with a great factory set adjustable trigger...I paid a $100.00 more for the stainless in the 30-06...it was the easiest gun I've ever scoped..less then a half box, incredible accuracy...

·
Registered
564 Posts
Thank you sir, I'll change optics as funds become available.
If you are going to change optics, buy one that hasn't any to begin with.

I have a Howa 1500 and the Nikko Sterling scope lasted over 2000 firings before I determined the scope was screwing-up; I'm not so sure it actually is.

If you do get one with a scope, also change the aluminum scope mounts and rings for quality steel ones.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This will be the 2nd bolt action I've ever owned, is their any kind of break-in period I should know about.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts