Howa M1500

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by AznZOhAn, Dec 12, 2012.

1. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

Looking for wisdom and experience. I found a brand new Howa M1500 308 with 20" heavy barrel fluted, hogue stock, and a Niko sterling 4-16x44 mildot scope for $699.99. Is this a good deal? Is Howa a good manufacturer, and is Niko sterling a good scope?

2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Not so sure about the scope. Pretty sure they are a inexpensive Chinese scope. Howa rifles though are very well made. The same barreled actions are used by Weatherby for their more entry level rifles.

3. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

Thank you sir, I'll change optics as funds become available.

4. ikeepem

ikeepem New Member

Take a look at the Weatherby Vangaurd S2 24" barrel also..almost the same and the new stocks are nice modeled after the MkIV, about $450.00 and very accurate guaranteed MOA with a great factory set adjustable trigger...I paid a $100.00 more for the stainless in the 30-06...it was the easiest gun I've ever scoped..less then a half box, incredible accuracy...

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  5. The_Kid

The_Kid New Member

If you are going to change optics, buy one that hasn't any to begin with.

I have a Howa 1500 and the Nikko Sterling scope lasted over 2000 firings before I determined the scope was screwing-up; I'm not so sure it actually is.

If you do get one with a scope, also change the aluminum scope mounts and rings for quality steel ones.

6. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

This will be the 2nd bolt action I've ever owned, is their any kind of break-in period I should know about.

7. TCH2FLY

TCH2FLY New Member

Go to the Howa website,they have a specific procedure under FAQs
    http://www.legacysports.com

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012