Firearms Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
11,006 Posts
They are a great gun. Great caliber too. What are you gonna use it for?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Bought a used Howa 1500 in .243 win. about 6 months ago. From what I gather it is one of the early hogue stocked ones, being that it doesn't have the pillar type bedding. Nice rifle, shoots one inch or less groups for me with the right reloads.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Plan on using it for varmint and target I like the looks of them. Sounds like you think highly of the brand. Thanks for the input

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
I really like my Howa in .223. I got the heavy barrel version and it's really accurate but the barrel is very heavy. I would not be accurate without resting the rifle on something because of the weight.

·
Banned
0 Posts
i have shot a couple and they are very good choices for a rifle. well worth the asking price. very decent accuracy. the Howa 1500 and the Weatherby Vanguard are the same rifle with the exception of the stock. yes good choice. and the 22-250 will be an excellent cartridge for varmint hunting.

·
Banned
6,618 Posts
A friend has a howa chambered in 300 mag that he lets me borrow when I visit during hunting season. I have made some fantastic shots with that rifle without any practice. It's smooth functioning and it hasn't had any problems. His is an older model with the plain jane houge stock.

Howa also manufactures Weatherby rifles. Us old farts really like Weatherby rifles. I know a lot of young whippersnappers have never heard of Weatherby but back when we rode dinosaurs to the hunt they were highly sought after rifles.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
They are good guns. I can't remember off the top of my head. Would have to look it up. Winchester or Remington or one of those manufactures uses the same action in one of there modasl as the howa 1500.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
axxe55 said:
i have shot a couple and they are very good choices for a rifle. well worth the asking price. very decent accuracy. the Howa 1500 and the Weatherby Vanguard are the same rifle with the exception of the stock. yes good choice. and the 22-250 will be an excellent cartridge for varmint hunting.
That's it the weatherby vanguard. Boy I got to start reading all the post.

·
Registered
5,371 Posts
They are good guns. I can't remember off the top of my head. Would have to look it up. Winchester or Remington or one of those manufactures uses the same action in one of there modasl as the howa 1500.
At one time...
S&W 1500

·
Supporting Member
12,896 Posts
Bushmaster,

The 22-250 is an excellent caliber selection for varmint hunting. I recently bought a Howa 1500 in 270 Winchester caliber with a Leupold 3X9 Scope on it at a sale. I used it in Texas this year. It is a fine rifle and also has an adjustable trigger inside. Mine had just a slight bit of creep which most would not even notice. So it was easy to adjust and eliminate the creep. Would make you a fine rifle.
Howa made a version of this rifle for both Weatherby and Smith and Wesson also.

·
Registered
7,905 Posts
Had a .30-06. It was a very accurate and smooth. A buddy just had to have it, so I sold it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Here are my Howas.

The black sporter is my Ranchland 1500 in .22-250 and she's a sweet shooter. Get that trigger adjusted just so and it'll give you sub MOA all day long. My 250 loves 50 grain Hornady V-Max's.

The same goes for the heavy stainless beast. That's a 1500 varminter in .223. It'll give me sub MOA 5 shot groups all day long as well. Shot my best ever group with it, a .217" 5 shot clover leaf with 55 grain Hornady V-Max factory loads no less.

Imagine how well they will shoot when I start to hand load.

Another reason I really like my Howas, as one of the previous members posted, is the adjustable triggers. Sooooo easy to set. I have both of mine set to break at a nice crisp 2.5 lbs with absolutely NO creep.

Spend the money. You won't be dissatisfied.

Machine gun Air gun Grass Shotgun Terrestrial animal

Air gun Grass Shotgun Tail Groundcover

Sky Cloud Machine gun Air gun Tree

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts