Howa/Axiom Varmint package?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Capybara, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Capybara

Capybara New Member

Need some advice from the old hands here. Experienced shooter but a newbie when it comes to target shooting. http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/49441-55.html
    What are your thoughts on this package from CTD? Is there a better place to spend my $800.00 on a .223 target rifle including optics? I have read good things about the Howa action and this stock looks very intelligently designed. Not sure if the scope is any good for the money?

I like the new Mossberg MVP package as well but several calls to local gun shops have told me that it isn't available yet. Sent an e-mail to Mossberg about when will it be available, we'll see what they say.

Opinions and advice welcome, I want to learn how to target shoot, .223/5.56 ammo is relatively cheap. Not serious about competition or anything like that, I just want to beat my own goals for grouping and bullet placement.

Thanks,

Dan

2. fireguy

fireguy New Member

Generally speaking when you get a rifle/scope package you are not getting much in the way of the scope. The rings are probably low end as well. BUT I do have to say that the NikkoStirling scopes I have are very good. Japanese glass is clear in all ranges of magnification and keep zero to boot. I think that the Mossberg used to use Bushnell as their package scope, probably still do, not IMO near the quality as the Nikko.
    The Mossberg will be a good rifle, I'm sure. Howa is a great rifle. If the .223 shoots like my .308 you will be well pleased.

Or you can pass the packages put together by the companies and pick your own rifle, rings, scope, etc. just the way you like at your convenience and at your price point. Enjoy whatever you get.

3. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

There's always a better place to buy a gun from.There's nothing cheap from Cheaper Than Dirt!

The Howa is a good rifle,but they only have a 1-12 twist barrel which really limits you to shooting the light weight 223 caliber bullets.A good twist rate for a 223 is a 1-8 or 1-9,and most use a 1-9 twist.
    Savage,Tikka,and CZ-USA all offer 1-9 twist barrels,and also offer it in a heavy/varmint weight barrel,plus they are all better made guns with better factory triggers.

Almost always,you are better off buying a rifle and optics seperately.The package guns come with very low end scopes,although the Nikko Sterling scopes have had decent reviews in the past.
    You can buy any of the brands of rifles listed for $500-700,and then spend whatever you can afford for some decent glass.You can find some great scopes for really good prices if you search around on the net,and you can also get a used higher end scope for what a cheaper scope will cost you new.I've never had a problem buying used higher end scopes,and you will enjoy shooting your rifle that much more with better glass.
    I've bought scopes that new were $2k,and have paid less than half that price for them used,and they didn't have a scratch on them.

Check prices on Gunbroker,and then add about $40-60 to the prices you see,That will get you in the ballpark of what most local dealers will be asking for the guns on their racks.

Good Luck in choosing one.

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i agree with the others as most of the rifle packages, usually put a scope that is at the lower end of quality. much better to buy the rifle separately and buy a better scope and rings. you will be money ahead in the long run, as you will find the scope just doesn't meet your expectations and usually pay more for the package deal, then end up replacing the scope very shortly. about the only time it makes sense to buy a package deal, is looking for an inexpensive hunting rig, just to use a few times a year. but if looking at doing more serious target shooting and the rifle is the one you want, and the Howa is a very good rifle, then buy the rifle and then buy a good name brand scope, and buy some really good rings for it.

5. Capybara

Capybara New Member

That is what is appealing about this package, I have read some separate reviews of this scope what were pretty good. My problem is, at this point, with scopes, I don't even know what is good, although I know from being a camera fanatic that obviously Leupold, Zeiss and the like are going to be quality. The stock looks really interesting and the rifle seems like a good deal. I will probably just have my local gun shop order it, he won't be the cheapest, but they way I figure it, if we don't support our local small gun shops, there won't be any more small, local gun shops. I was considering the Howa 1500 package from Sniper Central but that is a lot more money and hassle and this is definitely just a new hobby for my son and me so spending around $700.00 to $800.00 seems smarter.

I am a photographer as well as a shooter and that's what has happened in the world of camera shops, everybody buys on-line and in my town, all of the camera shops went under. So now, there is no local source when I buy camera gear, I just have to order off of the web and hope that I like it. Thanks for all of the advice, I am going to research some scopes. For target shooting, what kinds of power, features am I looking for?

6. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  7. kryptkeeper

kryptkeeper New Member

Savage model10 in snow camo 243 cal . 1.00 group 200yard . BestRifle I've own

8. jpattersonnh

What scope? The CZ does that also, but what ammo do you use. 200 yards is just stretching the legs of a .243. My CZ will do that on a good day at 300 yards. I've shot young Woodchuck pups at 300 at ventilated their 2" skull.

9. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

The CZ 527 Varmint has 1:9. Unfortunately my CZ 527 American has a 1:12. It will shoot cloverleafs at 100 yards with 45 grn bullets, small cloverleafs. I blew quite a few shots till I learned that set trigger.

10. Capybara

Capybara New Member

Thanks for the alternative j. I will check this out. I know CZ makes some great rifles. Seems like this is the problem with this decision, there are a lot of .223 target/varmint rigs out there that are great, it's just tough to make up your mind when you haven't shot any of them.

Dan

11. jpattersonnh

Where are you located? As JTJ said, the single set trigger takes some getting use to, if you use 2 stage.

12. Capybara

Capybara New Member

I am in the land that really doesn't want me to own any guns, California. What's worse, Southern California, where shooting ranges are quite rare. But luckily I do have a few ranges within 80 miles of me.

13. jpattersonnh

80 miles!!! That is insane!

14. Capybara

Capybara New Member

Yeah, PITA is what it is. Every bit of land out here is either privately owned or public land with shooting prohibited. Kind of sucks. I can see why a lot of people around here get into handgun shooting at a range. I do have an indoor range about 10 miles away so at least that exists.

On another subject, how many of you would shoot 5.56 military FMJ ball with this gun? I have heard that you really shouldn't shoot 5.56 ammo in a .223 but that a lot of people do it without trouble. That was what led me to the Mossberg MVP, it is chambered for 5.56 but I can't find one for sale yet. I had my sights set on a bolt action .223 target/varmint rifle but I may also consider an AR-15 type of rifle if I can't shoot 5.56 out of the Howa safely or if I can't find a Mossberg to buy. The lure of military ball ammo at very cheap prices is pretty much overriding most of my other factors.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  15. Capybara

Capybara New Member

Now the CZ is looking like a better bet. For some stupid reason, I don't think that the Howa Axiom Varmint is legal in California? CTD won't ship it to California, I tried researching it but cannot figure out why it is not legal in California, because it has a pistol grip? I don't understand...It is a bolt action rifle without a detachable magazine so why would a pistol grip matter? Anyone who is familiar with our ridiculous California laws understand what would make this rifle a no go for California?

16. jpattersonnh

It is the pistol grip and detachable mag.

The CZ has a CIP chamber. 5.56 ammo is fine. I called them up about this because of the warrantee. Fully covered.

17. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

Cheaper than dirt is not California friendly.
    Even with a pistol grip and detachable mag, the rifle's a bolt action so it's legal.

18. jpattersonnh

Cheaper then dirt are dirt bags. Buy from them and you just never now what will happen. I was charged 3 times for the same item. 70.00 in bank charges later they refused to pay the fee's and took 2 months to refund my money on the 2 extra charges. They SUCK!!!

19. Capybara

Capybara New Member

Thanks guys, good to know. I ordered some ammo and accessories from them but I will not be buying a gun from them. Who else do you like for low cost Internet vendors? Buds Gun Shop?