Howa 1500

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by lbwar15, Jul 1, 2012.

1. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

My wife surprised me with a new xd45 last week for my birthday.

We went to academy a few days ago and she noticed a pink camo howa 1500 in .243. She tried to get me to buy it for her by using the I just bought you a new gun card.

I have absolutely no knowledge of this brand. I am not one to buy a gun because of the color or the way it looks. Especially one with a $700 price tag. I would rather buy one I know is reliable and will work 100% of the time, such as a rim 700 or a win 70 and then make it pink.

Dose anybody have any info they can share on this riffle. Should I just follow my gut filling and buy a 700 in .308.

2. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

They are a good gun.

3. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Is it worth $700 without optics? I looked it up on YouTube a guy said he got his for $500 with optics and bipod.

4. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Price seems a little high. I had a 1500 in .30-06 several years ago. Good gun, very accurate. My brother-in-law talked me into selling it to him. Back then (late 1990s) I paid $350 for it.

They are essentially the same rifle as a Weatherby Vanguard. Howa makes the barreled actions for those.

5. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

Howas are good guns yes. I would say no on the principle that its pink :p. but for 700 eh look at a rem 700 you can put a new stock on it real easy

6. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

That's what I won't to do. Plus if I git it in .308 I can keep the other stock and use it to.

7. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

If you dont like the rem 700 mossberg has a good rifle out for 300 bucks. Dont know if you can find a pink stock or not though

8. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

I have actually bin looking for an excuse to pick up a 700 in .308. I guess I should advantage of it lol.

9. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

Go for it man. And if she bugs you about the color pick up a stock for you, and her.

10. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

308. Recoil wise is not to much more than a 243. So she should be fine

11. Model70

Model70 Member

I paid $500 for a Howa 300 WM brand new with a Nikko-Stirling scope. I replaced it with a Vortex Viper and use it as my long range set up. It holds a minute of milk jug out to 700 yards.

12. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Since .308 and .243 use the same parent case, a stock that fits a .243 should also fit a .308.

13. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

She dose not mind recoil. She shoots my 30-06 just fine. She was wonting a new revolver not long ago. I was looking at a .38, she called me a bunch of stuff I can't say on hear and said she was going to need at least a .357 mag preferably a S&W.

14. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Personally I think the Howa is head and shoulders above the stock Remmy action these days. It's a flat bottom, integral recoil lug action with an efficient, strong extractor, a one piece bolt handle and a rock solid lock up.

$700 is a bit steep though and I suspect mark up and the fact that it's a niche color like pink is playing into the "female impulse purchase" drive.

I have two HOWA actioned rifles, one in a long action and one .308 in short. Both are excellent rifles and I have never had a single problem with either one.

The gun shop where I hang out and "shop rat" has built, probably, 50 plus custom rifles on Howa actions and they have all performed as expected.

If you have a doubt on the Howa name, or the action, I can assure you it's a quality, CNC machined action crafted with precision in mind.

Weatherby purchases Howa actions' that they have rebranded into the Vanguard line up and you can see they offer several models with a guarantee of sub moa accuracy.

If you have questions, please feel free to PM me.

JD

15. trex1310

trex1310 New Member

The Howa 1500 is one of the best rifles money can buy. Howa makes
    rifles for several manufacturers. Weatherby, Browning, Smith & Wesson
    to name a few. The Weatherby Vanguard is a Howa 1500 action. I
    have 3 Vanguards and they are all very accurate.

16. fireguy

fireguy New Member

I would get the Howa over the Remmie. I have a .308 axiom heavy barrel and it is a sweet shooter. Not much for carrying around, but a good bench, rest, or stand gun.

17. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I bought a Howa 1500 over the 700 because of the flat bottom receiver, strength, reliability. That was 15 years ago. It is hands down the most accurate rifle I own. Well maybe my CZ is, but I'll have to shoot them both on the same day. [​IMG]

18. The_Kid

The_Kid New Member

3 years ago I paid $450 with an optic.

This is the shot I took with it today.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX-hwt_-wWk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX-hwt_-wWk[/ame]

I would think you are paying extra for the pink camo.

19. fireguy

fireguy New Member

I have a friend who bought a Rem. 700 a few months before I got my Howa 1500. He didn't know it wouldn't throw empty cases out until we went shooting together. He loaded one and slow cycled it to catch the brass and when I shot it and ran the bolt for another shot it didn't clear. Brand spankin' new and it didn't run right. I don't think he has gotten it fixed yet, either. When we shoot together I rib him about getting his pattern tightened up. He or the rifle don't shoot as tight as my rifle does.

20. Yunus

Yunus New Member

The Howa is a great gun, $700 is possibly the right price too. Is it a thumbhole stock in stainless, if so that's actually a good price.

I have a friend looking to sell a Howa 1500 in .243 with a gray/black/silver thumbhole laminate stock. It's probably had 40 rounds through it total, he's looking to consolidate on calibers the gun is in perfect condition. Send me a PM if you are possibly interested.