Howa 1500 question

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by huffmanite, Aug 17, 2012.

1. huffmanite

huffmanite New Member

Came home yesterday from pawnshop with a Howa 1500 in 243Win with a Hogue rubber stock. Took rifle apart, cleaned, and reassembled, mounted a scope. Went to range today to zero scope. Only fired 10 rounds (cheap Federal ammo from Wal-Mart) and my last three were a little more than a 1" 3 shot 100 yd group.

Decided to run a few patches down bore when I got home and noticed the barrel action seemed loose in the stock. Quick check with screw driver told me both stock screws to receiver had loosened. Know darn well I had snugged both of them down pretty good when I had reassembled the rifle.

So, I'm asking if anyone is aware of these Hogue stocked Howa rifles having a problem with screws loosening?

2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Had one years ago in a hard synthetic stock. Never had screws back out. It was a very accurate rifle. I'd torque them well and try again. If they back out again, then use a little blue locktite on the threads.

3. The_Kid

The_Kid New Member

Only once did I have that happen. It happened at around my 500th shot; I attributed it to me not tightening them adequately.
    I got myself a good star type screwdriver thingy, whereas I could tighten them sufficiently. Since then I've shot 1500+ additional rounds without issue.

4. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Is your stock a full bedding block stock or pillar bedded. You may need more torque on the aluminum bedding and that can be anywhere from 45 to 65 inch lbs . Different stock types do tend to used different amounts of torque and then adjust that a bit to help tune your rifle Might contact hogue to askif they have a set torque number to help you with. I do know snug don't get it with centerfire rifles.