Howa 1500 .308 tactical

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by herp_man2003, May 25, 2013.

1. herp_man2003

herp_man2003 New Member

Iv been eyeing this. They have it on sale at buds right now. I have been thinking about getting into some longer range shooting. My only centerfire rifle right now is a mosin. This looks like a fair starter setup that can be improved upon in the future. So what do you all think of this? I know the glass is pretty much junk and the stock will go. Thanks

2. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

This is the same company that makes the Weatherby Vanguard.

Howa rifles have an excellent reputation.

3. herp_man2003

herp_man2003 New Member

That seems to be what i am finding also. Good action and they seem to be pretty nice shooters. Im still not sure on the barrel length though. The farthest I will be able to shoot this will been 500 yards. Its available in 20" and 24" so what length should I get? I have been looking at the bell & Carlson stocks and they seen to be pretty nice stocks. I think im gonna enjoy dinging some steel with this type of setup. So what say you all?

4. Apex-Predator

Apex-Predator New Member

Not knocking the Howa, but as long as there is the Savage 10 FP it is fighting for second place. Savages are tough to beat in the accuracy department though my Tikka will hang with the best of them.

5. tomgodd

tomgodd Active Member

The 24 looks better imo. My friend has a B&C on his 700 varmint. It is a sweet piece. It has a longer barrel 24 or 26. I have seen the short heavy barrel guns at stores with similar stocks. Too me they look out of place. I have been eyeing howa for a while. I will own one in future.

Last edited: May 26, 2013
  6. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Get real!!!! I've had my Howa .308HB for many years. It eats any surplus ammo, factory, or handloads, and shoots all very well. With IMI or LC 7.62x51 it shoots ragged hole 5 shot groups at 100 yards. It gets really old hearing about the mighty Savage. I just may sell mine as I am tired of hearing how superior they are. The flat bottom receiver of the Howa make it more ridged then others and it also has a Sako style extractor. All milled steel. BTW, you are knocking the Howa and anything that is not a Savage. I really dislike the accu-trigger. Has that Glock feel that gives me the willy's. Not bashing Glocks though!:rolleyes:

7. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

BTW, shorter barrels are stiffer, and in the general case, more accurate. Velocity will be a bit lower. but that will not effect accuracy.

8. herp_man2003

herp_man2003 New Member

I kinda like the look of the shorter barrel. I was more concerned about any loss in performance accuracy wise. Bit it seems from what im finding that the harmonics of the shorter barrel are much better than the longer barrels. The velocity loss should not be a problem at the ranges i will be shooting at. I looked at the savages and they . Are out of my price range. It seems to me that the howa is kinda like the savage of old more a working mans gun with great accuracy.

9. Apex-Predator

Apex-Predator New Member

Fact remains that only team Savage shoots international level 1,000yd matches with off the shelf factory rifles (and WINS!), while Weatherby and Howa make quality hunting rifles that is something on the next level IMHO.
    I have owned half a dozen Savages ALL of them were fantastic shooters, so I will vouch for their accuracy.

Last edited: May 26, 2013
  10. jpattersonnh

I think I'll burn my savage instead. As the OP said, the Savage are out of his price range. This is a great entry level package. With the price of the barreled action, stock, mount, rings, optics, and bipod it is going to be hard to beat.
    http://www.snipercentral.com/scriflepackagedetails.phtml?packageid=1
    Strange they don't offer a Savage though. The Savage may be a good rifle, but it is not the end all by far. The rifles used by "team savage are base 1250.00 msrp rifles, not for the average joe. That includes nothing else!

11. jpattersonnh

BTW, This is my lowly Howa. I changed the scope out from a 6-24x40mmAO to a 3-12x42mmAO to make it more versitile. 22" barrel. No bolt on the end of the bolt, no ball in the bolt.. Just a strong accurate rifle. This one is close to 20 years old.
    [​IMG]

12. herp_man2003

herp_man2003 New Member

Sweet looking rifle. Its on order so i will have it by the end of next week!! I got the green stocked one with the 20" barrel. I will post pics when i get it and a range report when i get it out to shoot.

13. Apex-Predator

Apex-Predator New Member

While I agree that the Savage is not the be all end all rifle it does happen to be a darn accurate one, and the $1200 MSRP price tag on the competition models is chump change considering that most competition customs at that level cost tens of thousands of dollars. I personally prefer my Tikka and my Winchester 70 over my Savages for reasons that have nothing to do with accuracy. Sorry not trying to change the subject, just adding another option, don't burn your Savage on my behalf LOL

14. jpattersonnh

Mine was ordered for a PD here in NH. It did not come in w/ the correct stamps. Bought it for a song. With the way it was set up, it was a 700 yard rifle. Just to further add insult to the guys I was shooting against I would pull out boxes of IMI surplus 147gr and shoot against their rigs that cost way more w/ some really serious optics and hold my own. The way it is set up it is still a 700 yard rifle, but it also can make shots at under 100 yards easy.

Enjoy your new rifle. Get decent optics and it will do what you want.

15. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

While I am a Remington man when it comes to factory rifles. There is something to be said for flat bottom actions. Win 70, Howa, M98, 1917 Remington Enfield. These actions are big beefy and accurate as all get out.

Round actions are popular because they are much easier to work on. Just throw it in a lathe and clamp it down because they are round actions. There is a reason why Kelbly makes their actions flat bottomed, Stiller has 3 flat bottom actions for benchrest shooting. Nesika Bay (Dakota Arms) classic action is a flat bottom. All 6 of my custom rifles are flat bottom actions.

Savage rifle may be accurate but they sure aren't easy on the eye. I like rifles that not only shoot great but look good as well. You just can't beat the classic lines of a Win 70 action.

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  16. herp_man2003

herp_man2003 New Member

Im pretty happy with my decision. I think im getting alot of rifle for the money. Now i have to find some decent ammo for this locally. I hate paying what they want for shipping.

17. jpattersonnh

Do you have optics picked out?? Send me a PM and I'll offer some 7.62x51 to give you some trigger time.

18. jpattersonnh

I like my Mausers. '94, '96, small and large ring '98's. The Swedes can do things w/ irons that take a scope w/ others.

19. Apex-Predator

Apex-Predator New Member

While I don't buy factory match ammo I can vouch for 150gr Rem Core-Lokts in 308 for a backup hunting load, they go easy sub-MOA in my M70 FTW, not bad for a cheap hunting bullet, MUCH better then Fereral blue box or Power Points.
    Handloading the 308 is a worthwhile venture (especially nowadays) it is pretty darn easy to stroke accuracy out of, I cannot recall a 308 that did not shoot well with Varget, W748 or RL15, mine likes all three.

20. jpattersonnh

I use IMR 4064. It just works. We agree about similar burn rates. 150gr core-lokt also shoot very well out of my Howa. I picked up 1000 Prvi bullets a while back (OK some years) for cheap $$. Shoot very well. They were 49.00 per 500 at the time.
    http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/12612