howa 1500 .308 hb stainless.

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by lfcshooter, Sep 23, 2012.

1. lfcshooter

lfcshooter New Member

Hi guys. Waiting for delivery of a Howa 1500 with the varmint laminated stock in woodland finish and would like to get your thoughts and experiences with this rifle.

2. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Just know the basic rifles metal work has been around for a few decades and they also are still used in the weatherby vangaurd rifle mossberg and s&w rifles over the years. The first one I saw was around 30 or 35 years ago and it was a shooter then too.

3. ChicagoJoe

ChicagoJoe New Member

I recently bought a Vanguard S2, which is the same action as the Howa/Legacy Sports bolt action. I love the two-stage trigger - it has around 1/8 inch of take up then breaks crisply at 2.75 pounds. Based on the Legacy site, I think your rifle will have the same trigger. The build quality on the Howa action is great and the rifle is very accurate

4. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

The Howa 1500 is an excellent action and the .308 is a great round out to about 600 yards. With the heavy barrel, you can shoot a ton of rounds, all day, and not have to worry "greatly" about POI walk and excessive heat.

The Howa is a flat bottom action, with a quality bolt/handle and a superior ejector, so if you were to glass bed it to a quality stock, it will take to it like a hand in glove fit.

I chose the Howa 1500 action to build, for my grandfather the man who gave me my first bolt action, a .25-06 to hunt Michigan deer with all the trimmings (barrel, trigger, stock, Leupold scope and sling).

The Howa 1500 is DEFINITELY a quality action. Of course if you doubt me, you might want to check with a little company called Weatherby.

They are importing the Howa's as their VANGUARD line. :cool:

JD

5. Snubshooter

Snubshooter New Member

Tac Fun, Is that a Howa mag conversion that I see on the bottom of your rig or is it one of the steel kits? Also, How well does it function?
    Thanks Snubshooter

6. tacticalfun

tacticalfun Active Member

Sure is. I shoot 1/2 moa. The mag kit works well.i have 5 and 10 round mags.

7. Snubshooter

Snubshooter New Member

Thanks, I've been toying with the idea of the conversion but was not sure of the plastic mags reliability. And the steel ones seem pricey. Snubshooter

8. tacticalfun

tacticalfun Active Member

Think of it as a pmag. A 50$ pmag :D

9. Snubshooter

Snubshooter New Member