How would I find a gun I sold 8 years ago?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by dunerunner, Oct 29, 2011.

1. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

I'm a registered idiot!

I sold a family heirloom 8 years ago to buy diving equipment. It was my Grandfathers Winchester Model 1897 12 gauge. I know the serial number, when and where it was sold.

This is why I tell people of the forum to never sell a family heirloom firearm.

Any ideas?

2. Ubergopher

Ubergopher New Member

No serious ideas, sory. I would suggest watching Taken and Man on Fire to get ideas on how to get it back, just to be on the safe side.

3. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

If ya think it may have stayed local. You can try putting an ad in the newspaper.

4. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Good Idea, towboater! Worthy of consideration. I'd like for it to be offered on gunbroker or one of the other gun auction sites. My fear is that someone may have bought it, bobed the barrel and turned it into a cowboy action shotty.

I also sold a top break S&W Chromed .32 revolver with a 4" barrel at the same time....Whata fool!

5. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

I hope your able to find it in its original condition.
    Don't beat yourself up too much. Most of us have sold things that we regret.

6. gutz47

gutz47 New Member

yeah, like a g.i. 1911. Im a dummy

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

best start is to track it down by asking whomever you sold it to where it went. failing that adds in the local paper is about it

8. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Make room......

I sold my H an R 22 revolver 9 shot with a 9 inch barrel to my cousin when he was in the army. The stipulation was that if he decided to sell it, he would sell it back to me... I kick my arse every day because he sold it to someone out of state.......That was in 1972......Good luck finding old Betsy......:)

9. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

As Jon said, if you know the name of the person you sold it to, go to him first. Hopefully he still has it or there will be some sort of trail you can follow. I feel for you. :(

10. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

I sold it to a gun store that is no longer in business. I don't remember the name of the guy who owned the shop.

I'm at the point where I thinking about looking for replacements.

Is that dumb?

11. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Hey duner, call Eric Holder and ask him. I bet he knows where your shotty is! :eek:

12. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

If you remember the name of the store, you can try to find the old owner. If you find him, he may still have the records of your shotgun. They you can find the guy he sold it to. Then when you find him, you can find out who he sold it to, then find out who they sold it to, and so on. :D

Hopefully, the first guy has not sold it. Good luck. I'll have to remember to never sell a gun. :D

13. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I think that's the lesson I've learned during my stay here on FTF. Many members regret selling a gun for different reasons. I only have two and they aren't going anywhere.

14. 70cuda383

70cuda383 New Member

Good luck. back when I was about 4 or 5, I remember going to a family estate auction out in PA somewhere. my great grandfather's estate was up for acution, and family got to go through the house one last time pre-auction. the story as it was told to me, was that someone who didn't know what they were doing, told the auctioneer that there was a firearm available in the estate, so when my dad got there, he was not allowed to remove it from the estate because "that would be false advertisement, lots of people are going to come here just for that gun"

there was only 1 gun.

so my dad was forced to bid on it in the auction with everyone else, and my parents didn't have a lot of money while I was growing up...it was the mid 80s and we were a single family income.

so, because of the non-understanding family member who told the auctioneer the gun could be sold, and the greedy auctioneer (do they get paid a commission of the sales? the more money they sell the more they get paid?) the family lost Grandpa's 1911 issued to him during the first world war

what I wouldn't give to be able to go back in time, and be there at the auction, and bid whatever I had to, just to keep it.

I don't know that anyone, even my dad, really understood what it was, to them, it was just 'grandpa's old gun from the war'

15. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

In a few short years...

you may be able to check the National Registry and locate not only the family heirloom, but the name, address, and phone number of the owner...that is, if the Brady group, Obama, Senators Dianne Feinstein and Barbara Boxer and their like-minded associates have their way.:eek:

16. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Not Likely!! Thanks Buddy!! If that a$$hat knew where it was it is either rusting in a 50 gallon barrel of water or has been cut up into pieces and sold for scrap.

Post #10 The store has been gone for at least four years and I don't remember the Owners name.

That...........Is a frightening thought!!

17. Yunus

Yunus New Member

When a gun store closes do they send their records to the state for keeping? I believe that's how it works in MD on transactions that require records which is common in MD.

18. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

If I had to wait for Sacramento to dredge up those records, I'd be better off buying replacements....just so I could look at them and kick myself for selling the heirlooms!!

And that is the rub, they were sold in California, and I'm in Oregon 500 miles away.

19. Yunus

Yunus New Member

Well at least if it's Cali a record probably exists it might just be difficult obtaining it.

Report the gun stolen, then after your jail sentence for filling a false police report and getting your right to bear arms reinstated you could use the evidence presented against you in court to determine who owns the gun now.

It's a foolproof plan! :D