How will officer who murdered floyd get a fair trial?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Ghost1958, Jun 2, 2020.

1. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member Supporter

Was he trained in that dept to use that hold?

The other three officers may be a bit easier to defend. Did they have a legal duty to intervene?

towboater likes this.
  2. Hookeye

Hookeye Well-Known Member

Homicide is simply the killing of one person by another. It may or may not be illegal. Soldiers in battle commit homicide without committing a crime. ... Murder is a homicide committed with “malice aforethought.”

7point62 and JimRau like this.

3. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

Well,We all know the cops/ex-cops on here will always try to protect their own kind.

That Thin Blue Line just keeps getting thinner!

The longer I live,the less I trust anyone that wears a badge.

4. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

I believe he will get a fair trial but what his defense attorneys will need is a different set of facts. An "impartial jury" is always a problem for everyone is a sum total of life experience. Unless the jury is composed of cloistered nuns, finding 14 people (12 jurors and 2 alternates) who haven't seen media coverage of this will be a daunting task. Keeping these ex-cops alive while incarcerated will be another daunting task but not impossible. Federal system is better at that than state/local systems.

I arrested one of my narcotics deputies for perjury as well as the Secretary of State and a state senator for different crimes. The deputy did his prison time. The other two worked out plea bargains and did not. Years ago someone did a study on incarcerated former cops. There were, at that time, far more than I imagined. When exposed, they get hammered like most other defendants if there is a good case and a capable, willing prosecutor (therein lies the rub). Throw in the race card, ficiticious complaints by defendants looking for a way out of their predicament, others seeking money from lawsuits (inclding trial attorneys), etc. and "Fair" isn't really in the equation.

Aggressive officers, especially in high crime areas, will generate complaints for the reasons mentioned above. Each complaint must be investigated thoroughly and outcome based on provable facts. That some agencies/governing bodies tolerate more than others is obvious. Bending rules/standards for hiring and retention never work out well.

Something being "LEGAL" doesn't mean it's "RIGHT.

RJF22553, JTJ, G66enigma and 2 others like this.
  5. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man Well-Known Member

He will be lucky to make it to trial.
    He will probably hang himself like Jeffery Epstein did or didn't. HaHaHa

6. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

One of the requirements of an 'impartial' jury is one that has been tainted by all the misleading media coverage. THAT CAN'T HAPPEN IN THIS CASE. And we ALL know it will be impossible to find an 'impartial' jury in this case. Just reality.:( Not to mention the DA way over charged in this case, like they do in most cases. The reason they do that is to try and get the defendant to except a 'deal'. But it can back fire if the jury does not convict and this entire BS starts over in a few months.:rolleyes:

7point62 likes this.
  7. Nmwabbit

Nmwabbit Guest

you mean like O.J. and the Baltimore LEs, or...those others under QI?

winds-of-change likes this.
  8. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

Between the news media and the 'social' media, I doubt you can find ANYONE in this country who has not formed an opinion on this case. The idea of a FAIR trial is for both sides to have chance to present there side/evidence to an 'impartical' jury who has not already been 'informed', right or wrong, about the case. And, yes, this is not the first time this has happened, and it will not be the last. :(

winds-of-change likes this.
  9. schnuffleupagus

schnuffleupagus Well-Known Member

Which is why it would've been best if a stand up cop were to have been called by a distraught, drunk Chauvin had failed to prevent Chauvin from turning his own sidearm against himself.

Where are men today?

A man should have kicked that bad cops *** there in the street, before Floyd died

winds-of-change, alsaqr and Ghost1958 like this.
  10. Mongo

Mongo Well-Known Member Supporter

He should plead guilty period.

11. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

So should the Mayor, City Council, City Attorney and Police Chief. They enabled the killing by not going after bad cops despite a lot of complaints. This is the rule not the exception in Democrat run cities.

Ghost1958, Missouribound and Mongo like this.
  12. Hookeye

I am impartial.
    There needs to be a case, and they need to prove it beyond reasonable doubt.
    If the prosecution puts forth a poor case, that's on them.
    That is what the trial is about.
    I am not a judge or prosecutor.
    And oddly, by answering questions from attorneys correctly, I have never been selected to be on a jury.
    Now the bimbos that had to have it spelled out for the 3rd time? Yeah they got selected.

Scary, it aint much of a jury of peers.
    Often it's an assembly of impressionable not logical thinkers.

Same brain power as the SOBs that are burning and looting.

Trunk Monkey likes this.
  13. Hookeye

Murder means malice aforethought
    Going for that might make the mobs happy, but ultimately could lead to aquittal.
    Manslaughter would be a safer bet.
    But I'm no lawyer.

I tell the truth.

14. Hookeye

Personally I don't trust any of the MSM.
    Media has been corrupt forever.
    Just more flashy and everywhere these days.

Hell, I don't trust anybody.

15. Nmwabbit

Nmwabbit Guest

personally i have a better query...who is paying for his legal expenses...the blue brotherhood union ?

oh wait maybe he can use his pension funds which have been estimated at 1.5 over the 30 years he would be in the hoosegow...

16. Trunk Monkey

Trunk Monkey Well-Known Member

FIFY

17. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

My point in this case exactly. The two had history and the cop intentionally killed the man because of it.
    No officer is trained to put that amount of pressure on the neck of a handcuffed subject . Any one with a shred of hand to hand knows doing what that officer did would result in death.

jigs-n-fixture and Sniper03 like this.
  18. Mongo

Mongo Well-Known Member Supporter

l am amazed that these people riot and burn their own neighborhoods and never think to hunt down the crooked cop that killed George Floyd.

G66enigma and alsaqr like this.
  19. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member

The case in Atlanta (with Rayshard Brooks, officer Garrett Rolfe) is also an interesting example. Charges against the officer brought, for having fired upon Brooks as he resisted arrest then wielded a swiped Taser against the officer. Most media is whipping this up as a white-vs-black unjustifiable assault upon a citizen, while the essential facts of the case are: violent resisting of arrest; taking of the officer's Taser (weapon); attempted use of the Taser against the officer; getting shot and halted by officer before escaping. Charges so far include murder, assault with deadly, etc.

With as one-sided as much of the media stories are, on this one, it's another where the question is valid: can the guy obtain a fair and impartial trial, given the heavy hype in the "news."

ellis36 likes this.
  20. Nmwabbit

Nmwabbit Guest

So the overseer’s wiggle, squirming, denials, and hairsplitting has begun publicly...

AP quote:
    Minnesota prosecutors acknowledged Wednesday that a Minneapolis police officer had his knee on the neck of George Floyd for 7 minutes, 46 seconds — not the 8:46 that has become a symbol of police brutality...

“These kinds of technical matters can be handled in future amendments to the criminal complaint if other reasons make it necessary to amend the complaint between now and any trials,” Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman’s office said in a statement. “The one minute error made no difference in the decision to charge nor in the continuing legal hearings.”

The office had no further comment. Unquote
    https://www.newser.com/article/f9ae...fficer-had-knee-on-floyd-for-746-not-846.html