How will officer who murdered floyd get a fair trial?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Ghost1958, Jun 2, 2020.

1. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

Ok, the cop obviously murdered Floyd , on camera. Few except a few badge bunnies will argue that.

Still the officer is constitutionally guaranteed a fair trial.

With protests over his actions spread nationally and even into other countries where are they going to find a. " impartial jury??
    The moon??

schnuffleupagus and bluez like this.
  2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

First we arrest him. Then we try him. Then we hang him.

7point62, Mongo and Pasquanel like this.

3. F4U

F4U Well-Known Member Supporter

Don't know the laws in Mn. but he will probably cop a plea. Maybe 20 or 30 to life to avoid the death penalty if Mn. has one. Just guessing here. OR, he may toss the dice on getting off on appeal because the jury was not impartial. Again just guessing.

4. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

It runs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again.:D

Still it is a honest question.
    One would be hard pressed to find anyone not in a coma that isnt overly exposed to the whole thing.
    Even cops are marching with peaceful protestors in some towns.
    In one the cops in riot gear took a knee across the street from peaceful protestors and the protestors went home.

Gonna be a jury rain drop instead of a jury pool.

5. TelstaR

TelstaR Active Member

How will he get a fair trial. I guess by having 12 people who have not already decided his guilt or are proclaiming that its obvious he committed a crime. That's would be a start.

alsaqr and bluez like this.
  6. Nmwabbit

Nmwabbit Well-Known Member

OAK PARK HEIGHTS, Minn. — Former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin is being held at the Minnesota Correctional Facility at Oak Park Heights, public safety officials confirmed late Sunday.

Department of Corrections (DOC) Commissioner Paul Schnell told reporters during a news briefing that Chauvin was transferred to the maximum security facility, a move he described as "not uncommon." Schnell said the decision was made partly due to concerns over COVID-19, and partly due to matters of jail safety. The move was made earlier Sunday in anticipation that large scale arrests of demonstrators could take place later that night.
    https://www.kare11.com/article/news...rison/89-99c25a43-342b-4989-aa07-46e7a0174ded

oh dear...boston globe commentary, quote:
    Unless prosecutors in Minnesota file more serious charges against the police officer accused of killing George Floyd, they’re at risk of compounding public outrage by letting that former officer escape a charge of murder.

...the county’s chief prosecutor, Michael Freeman, finally saw fit to file criminal charges against Chauvin, and then only for second-degree manslaughter, an offense punishable by up to 10 years in prison but usually resulting in a much lighter sentence, as well as something Minnesota calls third-degree murder, a crime punishable by up to 25 years but applicable only where someone unintentionally causes death by “reckless or wanton acts … without special regard to their effect on any particular person” — like shooting aimlessly into a crowd.

More critically, anyone steeped in Minnesota law would recognize that the third-degree murder charge would likely be summarily dismissed for the ironic reason that Chauvin clearly aimed his acts at Floyd.
    https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/05...-unjustly-easy-sentence-george-floyds-killer/

you are pushing the envelope of a conviction, like we did for the Baltimore LEs...not guilty.

the specter of QI could still raise it's ugly head as well as the union stating the LEs firing wasn't kosher and the city buys them out till retirement!

7. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

He's already been tried ....by the press.

8. oO_Rogue_Oo

oO_Rogue_Oo Well-Known Member

He's toast; and should be. But he is little more than a cog in the wheel. What is needed is reform. We have a system that has slowly been deteriorating over years. LEOs frustrated by a system that puts criminals back on the street faster than they can arrest them have begun to dehumanize the people that they interact with. No matter how wrong it is on some level it is understandable. While he is toast; depending on his defense strategy reform may come; we'll see. Honestly while the public reaction is unfortunate I don't think that it has been violent enough to ensure reform. It may just end up being a blip on the screen and that would be sad. Because if that happens this WILL happen again with more serious results.

manta and alsaqr like this.
  9. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

Here in Oklahoma our "law and order" political pukes are putting criminals back on the street because it costs too much to incarcerate criminals: They are demanding more "reasonable" sentences. "Truth in sentencing" means nothing here.

Typically a convicted felon found guilty of home invasion or armed robbery will be allowed to cop a plea. The prosecutor will crow about the "20 year sentence": Yep, ten years suspended, five years probation and five years to serve. The scumbag will be out in three years.

ellis36 likes this.
  10. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

He's a dead man. He won't last a year in prison. And he will be going to prison...if he lives that long. Every black guy behind bars will be gunnin for him. He's gonna get the Whitey Bulger non-judicial head bashing.

And while we're on the subject...he's jacked up the danger level about 70% for every cop on the street.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  11. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

From a Law Enforcement prospective! It is going to be as fair as it can be with that live video of him suffocating and killing a citizen.
    And with having all the prior excessive force complaints if they can get them entered he should be expecting the worst.
    In the past I have used a Federal Choke Hold in a serious fight to gain control. Of course that was before we carried Tasers. But it was only applied for a brief time to get control. Because it can as it similarly did in the Floyd case can kill a person by shutting off the blood supply to the brain. And the other officer on his back kept Floyd's diaphragm from breathing in and out. I have no remorse for them for their stupidity and recklessness!;)

Maineiak, towboater and alsaqr like this.
  12. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member

Of course, merely having heard of the situation and merely having lived through rioting and marching in towns doesn't equal prejudice. Certainly equals some exposure to "news" coverage of various viewpoints.

I'd like to think that with perceptive, motivated, smart attorneys, that a mostly fair combination of twelve people (plus alternates) can be found. Perhaps not in the first trial, assuming there is one, but certainly before the second or third (appeals) trial occurs.

The term "scapegoat" comes to mind. In the sense of being the lone repository for any and all pent-up ills people have with policing, with cities' handling of things, with the messy politics this past 3+ years, with how they've seen the ongoing string of "unjust" deaths of people in custody over the years. In that sense, it might well be difficult to get fairness out of a jury on this topic; certainly tough if the attorneys fail in their duty and the court fails to oversee finagling with the jury (ie, jurors speaking with one another about "the verdict" during sequestering, etc).

I'd certainly like to see it fairly done.

I really hope, too, that cities do a deep-dive, outside-driven eval of their departments, their city communications/hierarchies, their oversight, their inclusion of community members during discussions and changes, and so on. Without a severe overhaul of much of what allows the heavy-handed approach to be so prevalent and apparently condoned (even rewarded), it'll continue.

Ghost1958 likes this.
  13. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    W.T. Sherman, Ghost1958 and Nmwabbit like this.
  14. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

He can't get a fair trial, and he will not get a fair trial. Just reality.:(

7point62 and RJF22553 like this.
  15. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

The fairest trial he and his cohort's could get is a short rope from a tall tree. Shouldn't even be a trial,the video's and eye witness reports prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that they are all guilty of murder.

W.T. Sherman, Maineiak, SRK97 and 4 others like this.
  16. TimKS

TimKS Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Fair? What's fair? Does he have to be found innocent before it's called fair. BS, fair is showing the video of the crime and send him to prison....that sounds fair to me.

W.T. Sherman, alsaqr and ellis36 like this.
  17. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

Thank you all for proving my point!!!!:rolleyes:

18. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Well we certainly know none of you will be in the jury pool. What ever happened to INNOCENT until PROVEN guilty? I am not now or never have been a cop and I am not a vigilante either. If you were in a tough spot you would be screaming your head of for a fair trial. There is no longer anyway he can get a fair trial. He has been tried and convicted by the media, the mobs and you.
    Amy Klobuchar a possible VP pick was the AG in Minneapolis and declined to press charges against police for excessive force including the accused former officer. Also failed to follow up on charges of racism in the department.

19. Fred_G

Fred_G Well-Known Member

He would probably be best off by waiving a jury trial and go for a bench trial, if that is an option for him. Would be nice if he just pled guilty. Innocent until proven guilty? Sure. About 9 minutes of video should do that just fine.

W.T. Sherman and JRDallas like this.
  20. TimKS

TimKS Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

So, Jim, what is your criteria for a "fair" trial?

You & I know the jury will be shown the video......what can a defense lawyer say that would change a jurists mind? I don't hold any grudges against any LEO's anywhere. I think I could weigh any new information and make a fair judgement IF any doubt to his guilt or innocence were to arise. Do I have to be the same race as the victim or the accused? :cool:

JRDallas likes this.