How to treat a laceration on my finger? ( picture)

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by beastmode986, Mar 8, 2014.

1. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

I was playing with one of my knives yesterday and cut my index finger pretty deep. Now what happened was the knife had a kydex sheath and I used my left hand to grasp the sheath and right for the handle. When I yanked it out I didn't realize I had my index finger off of the sheath so I slashed my finger. Im not sure if I could see the bone but I did see some white. My dad thinks it'll be fine though. It didn't hurt at all which is the funny part. But anyway I ran downstairs and put some peroxide on it and dried it then taped a 4x4 gauze to it. Later that day I changed the bandage to a 2x2 gauze and now that I woke up I put some Neosporin on it and changed the gauze. What else should I do to ensure it heals right?
    Heres what It looked like when I woke up ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1394306381.884855.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

keep doing what you are doing and watch and make sure it doesn't get infected.

my father would call that nothing more that a minor scratch!:D

3. deg

deg Active Member Lifetime Supporter

A laceration on your finger – you call that a laceration!? Just jacking with you, those are a pain in the butt, and no, this is not my finger. It is someone my boy knows; make me want to puke….stinking wedding rings anyway.

Attached Files:

4. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

You're going to live! I would show you mine but I almost faint every time I see the pics :eek:

5. Pasquanel

Both my Son-in law and brother in-law managed to get their fingers in the way of the wood splitter!
    Non of my genes involved here, but fortunately they got caught on the ram side and not the wedge
    so they ended up with thumbs that will come in handy for flipping hamburgers :p So as you can see
    in this family if you're looking for sympathy you'll find it in the dictionary some where between sh!t and syphilis!
    In reality I was the first to arrive at the hospital and thankfully both only suffered cosmetic damage but it makes
    for good ribbing material at our family gatherings :D Got one coming up, time for a bottle of Gentleman Jack and remember when ;)

6. Pasquanel

Yikes!!!!! Wont need to trim that fingernail for a while :eek:
    I had a similar experience but my finger stayed on, I was descending a step ladder and a protruding nail slipped between my finger and wedding ring and my full weight fetched up on it mercifully I had a pair of diagonal cutters and was able to free myself but my ring finger looked like a kielbasa for a week....OUCH!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  7. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

those are reasons exactly why i refuse to wear a wedding ring or any jewelry while working.

8. BullseyePrecision

BullseyePrecision New Member

Go to the doctor

Sent from my SM-N900V using Firearms Talk mobile app

9. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Damn!! Did they put that skin back on that finger? That's DISGUSTING.

10. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Beast, Fingers are tough to heal. They touch lots of contaminated stuff and just bend too much. A stitch can help, yours looked close to wanting one but is past that now. Bacitracine, a gauze finger cottete (sp?) and an aluminum splint will help it heal much quicker than doing nothing at all.

Deg, thats just horrible, looks like a skinned muskrat tail! Tell me they saved the finger! Wedding rings have been the death of more men....

11. willshoum

willshoum New Member

We don't need no stinking Dr.

Soak the finger in a warm water salt solution for about half an hour. Dry completely. Cover with neosporen and clean gauze. Bend finger slightly to close wound. Tape over finger with that fancy duct tape. One week, should be healed over..................;)

12. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Some neosporin and a finger band aid will do wonders for that finger. Washing the finger with hydrogen peroxide won't hurt a thing.

13. duddie10

duddie10 New Member

For cleaning hydrogen proxide, rubbing acohol, or soap and water. Use a bandage and a good antibacterial ointment. I only use it for a few day then i try and keep the wound dry until it heals.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Firearms Talk mobile app

14. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Hmmmm, why would you come on a firearm forum and ask what to do about a cut finger? Ever heard of a doctor?

I had a similar cut once. The doc said they couldn't stitch it, not enough meat. They glued it instead.

15. Airborne1

Airborne1 Member

You did all the right things for it. It should heal nicely.
    In November or December I had fallen asleep in my chair with my diner plate in my lap. When I woke up I went to get up to put it all in the sink I found out that the steak knife had fallen off of the plate and had landed on the floor with the end of the handle against the frame of my recliner. I went to get up without putting the footrest down and jammed the pointy end into my right heel to the bone. I immediately went and put the plate on the counter and then looked down to see how bad I had stuck my foot, and saw two puddles of blood on the kitchen floor. I went to the restroom to get the Hydrogen peroxide, poured that over it a couple of times, let it dry, as it finally stopped bleeding, and then put Neo-sporin on it and a bandaid on it, and it heeled fine.
    Being it was my dirty, or used steak knife I was a bit concerned till I looked at it the next couple of days and saw that it was not getting infected. I was really lucky this time. Needless to say I don't eat diner so late anymore, and the wife makes sure I don't fall to sleep sitting in my chair now........... Darnit! :D

16. deg

I don’t know the outcome; I will have to check with my son. He is currently working in NC

17. trip286

trip286 New Member

Looks good to me! You'll be fine. The white you were seeing was likely a tendon. The fact that you saw it means it likely isn't severed (they draw away when severed).

Keep doing what you're doing, it'll start to close in a day or two. I assume because of your age you're not employed full time at something like a construction job? You'll be able to leave it uncovered during school hours soon, before the end of the week. Fresh air does wonders for little booboos like that.

18. deg

Dang! You’re good; I’d have never thought that “The fact that you saw it means it likely isn't severed”. And you can tell from a finger that this is but a youth…I am impressed.

19. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

We know the OP to be in high school. :cool:

20. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Wow, sorry to see that Beast. You will be ok. But I bet it hurts to move it. When I was a boy scout I was cutting firewood with another kid. The saw popped out of the log and dragged across my finger. That was over 30 years ago. I still have a nasty scar. All I did was clean it real good and put gauze on it. I think the splint suggestion is a good idea. Immobilizing it will help keep you from breaking it open. Then again there is always super glue. I would see what Doc says before using super glue.