How to talk with people that always want to be right?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by beastmode986, Jun 10, 2014.

1. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

Quick question, how do you guys deal with people who always want to be right? My two best friends act this way and I rarely ever(if they have ever even said it) hear them say "im wrong" When someone proves me wrong with factual evidence, I will admit I was wrong. This is not the case with my friends. Well debate anything from politics to food and even when Im right and I cite sources they will; change their argument completely, insist they are still correct, or say "yeah, you always gotta be right" How do you guys handle misinformed people who refuse to listen?

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

2. Point6liter

Point6liter New Member

I laugh, and ridicule them. So I have been laughing and ridiculing people to myself a lot lately reading certain threads on here, since I don't want to get booted. I'd rather just read, laugh, and make jokes to myself. It's great. Fan effing tastic.

3. ratpacker

ratpacker Member

You need new friends.Send them some comic books, Enroll youself in Adult classes, of which he, or they, couldn't conceive
    Redneck, lunatics won't come within 10 feet of me now.

4. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

A couple of years back I was embroiled in a heated conversation with a forum member who resides to the North of me about a firearm I was holding in my own hands. His knowledge was based on seeing his friends gun, mine on actually owning one. Now this is where humble pie comes in because Beretta offered the same model in three variants. So we were both right and wrong at the same time! Never ASSUME you have all the answers :p

5. Franklin1995

Franklin1995 New Member

Assuming only makes an ass out of you and me :p

6. Mouser

Mouser Member

If you have friends that are always right and you tend to be a person seeking the truth, then my prediction is that you will not remain friends forever. People of similar ethics gravitate towards each other...the phrase 'birds of a feather flock together' is a manifestation of that concept. People of dissimilar ethics will in time part company.

BTW, the term ethics is to be taken in the context of philosophy. Ethics are situational...that is they vary depending on the current situation. This means it takes time and change in the environment for ethics to manifest themselves...that is why it is important to date before getting married!

7. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

I have a friend who always has to be right. I'll call him Jim. My retorts generally start with "Jim, you're an idiot". The discussions get heated from that point on.

8. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Move away from them. Move on.

Otherwise you will find yourself sucked

into their destructive vortex.

Friends are supposed to exchange ideas,

and consider the viewpoint of other friends.

Friends should not be treating you the way they

treat you.

9. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

I don't deal with them... Because I know I'm ALWAYS right! :D

10. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Hey Ratpacker, 38 posts in 2 years? Really? I think you are a little behind. You must have more to share than that.

Hey Beast, You will run into those people for the rest of your life. They are everywhere. Some of them will be your employer. Don't ask me how so many stupid people became managers. But they are definitely out there. Sometimes it is easiest to let them live in their delusion. They will never admit it anyway. This is good practice for the future. Dont tell them they are right. But don't argue with them over it either.

11. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Meh... screw 'em :shrug:

No offense and none taken

12. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I am not always right, but I do not remember the last time I was wrong. Of course I always want to be "right". I try very hard to do my research so I am USUALLY right.

13. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

The only time my friends ridicule me is when I am about to do something really stupid. I take no offense when I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that my best interest is their motive. Once in a while they get out of hand because I cannot reveal all the facts. I just tell them I am busy, hit the road, in that case. If they are truly your friend they will give you the space you require. Once you are past the rough patch everyone carries on like nothing happened.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  14. deg

deg Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Some of these comments I read are a little disappointing to me - ever heard of the old saying "we'll be friends to the end, but this looks like the end my friend" If they are truly a friend - stick with them best you can.

I have people like that in my life and the truth is, for me, a friend is a friend. You may find them in your life for a long – long time to come. What I do is entertain them. There are those who know and know they know, there are those who don’t know and don’t know they don’t know, and there are those who don’t know and know they don’t know – these last mentioned, you can teach, the second mentioned you cannot teach (easily). What I do is – listen and decipher what they are saying. Once I fully understand where they are missing the point I look for a way to turn it and apply their ((for lack of a better word) ignorance) into a question that rebukes their stance.

Example: I have a friend who is determined that the government is sending planes up and
    dispersing “chem-trails” – so after arguing till they get pissed that I don’t agree with them; I asked “when did this start?” their answer was “in the 70’s”. So, I stated “you mean there were no “chem-trails pre 70?” and pretended to agree. Then when it came back up I produced pictures from earlier days showing the same chem/condensation trails and said as though I was seeking to learn, how they modified these picture even way back when. Certainly got them thinking.

I guess my answer is to help them figure it out on their own so it is not an “in your face” situation.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  15. FernandoTheCommando

FernandoTheCommando New Member

I agree. I had a good friend for years that was like that. He was a caring friend and he would be there at the drop of a hat, but his ego would never let him be wrong. He had all the answers...all the time. I got extremely tired of it and stopped hanging out with him. His wife also got tired of it and ended up leaving him over it as well. I rarely walked away from a conversation with him feeling better than when I started the convo. He lost a lot of friends that way.

16. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

a few years of marriage taught me that

Yes Dear

Is always the right answer :)

Seriously tho, it's like wrestling in the mud with a pig, you're going to get dirty and they enjoy it, so why bother?

17. Eagle1803

Eagle1803 New Member

I have been asking that very same question to my wife for 27 years....:D

18. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I can answer that for you and there is a logical reason for the abundance of stupid bosses. Many companies see the most deserving candidate for promotion as to productive to promote. In the end, they always promote the person that makes very few mistakes because they produce very little work.

19. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

Let them be 'right' then. Should not be an issue (unless you are just like them)

20. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I had a co-worker like that.
    I would propose a fix to a problem, but his way was always the "correct" way. His way was always "faster and easier" than what others input or procedures listed in the books.

After his way got him a couple to chats with higher ups, he started to realize that the input by others could be the correct way to go.