How to start deer hunting?

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by beastmode986, Dec 25, 2013.

1. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

My dad was telling me that he wants to take me deer hunting next season but he hasn't gone deer hunting in more than 15 years and I have no clue about it either. All I know is basically, get your tags and permits and what not and find out state laws. He said hell ask some of his buddies who hunt and told me to find out some info. What can you guys tell me about deer hunting, getting into it, good calibers, budget deer riles, common rules or tips etc.
    Thanks

2. Copeman60

Copeman60 New Member

It would be better for you to learn from a friend or a family member rather than people telling you. Im sure your father knows what caliber to use an how to dress for the season. Just take someone who is a legit hunter that goes by your state's rules an regs..

3. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

Simplified:

1) Find an appropriate caliber/platform for your hunting environment. Add optics that work well for you, sight-in and practice with your gun until you can reliably place shots within a 9 inch circle at 75 - 100 yds.

2) Find property to hunt and scout it out. After the seasons are over, scouting your proposed hunting area is a great way to find out what game remains. Wait until after a fresh rain/snow to go look for tracks, scat and shed antlers. Scout throughout the year to learn the seasonal patterns of deer. Concentrate on thickets and food sources, in dry country focus on water sources. Buy a good set of binoculars and park at the edges of large open areas at dusk and watch for game and patterns.

3)Practice with your weapon regularly.

4)Learn and practice scent hygiene.

5) Practice with you weapon regularly.

6) Practice "spot and stalk", "stump sitting", hanging tree stands and tree stand safety, still hunting and blind hunting techniques. Learn to sit still and silent, moving just your eyes and head as much as poss.

6) Scout some more.

7) Learn proper field dressing and get in shape to hunt and remove your game from the field.

8)Practice with your weapon regularly.

9) Scout some more.

I think you get it, there's way more but those are some of the basics.

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Grab bow and quiver, hit woods.

better judged by twelve than carried by six.

5. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

Most of this is good advice however I generally think one should strive to be as accurate as possible when target shooting, practice with your rifle and use proper shooting technique as far as squeezing the trigger and proper breathing, strive to shoot as accurately as your equipment will allow. If all I could shoot is a 9 inch group I wouldn't consider myself proficient enough to be in the woods shooting an animal, not even with open sites.

Sent from my XT1080 using Firearms Talk mobile app

6. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Find someone who has been hunting near the area you plan to hunt. Knowing the territory and what kind of game numbers are around, along with the food, water and bedding areas is the gold that needs to be mined for a better chance at success. You can learn some of the basic skills from your father. But the up to date info on terrain and game activity needs to be found by scouting or talking to someone who has scouted.

Time in the woods in advance also let's you know what kind of distances you may have to take. That will help on gun and caliber selection. Current info may also give you an idea of how far you want to pack an animal out.

If you are hunting in California, a .308, 7-08, .270, or .30-06, in a light bolt action gives you pretty good versatility for some of the brushy areas, as well as the ability to take advantage of some of the open draws.

7. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

Time with your dad is the key here. Make sure you enjoy that. Whether you get a deer or not, that is not what you will remember 20 years from now or after your dad is gone.

Lots of good hunting advice given here. But remember what is really important- at the end of the day I'd give anything for ten minutes with my dad (he's been gone since 1988 ). Lucky for me one of my sons is as crazy about hunting as I am!

8. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

Go play in the woods and fields. Read what you can and enjoy being out there whether you are successful or not. All the advice we can give you isn't worth a hoot for where you may be hunting. Learn your gun and enjoy your time with your dad and be prepared if and when the time comes. I wish my dad was still here to hunt with. Looking back on it I think we had more fun our first few years when success was slim as when we started having more success.

We laughed at our mistakes, enjoyed being together and tried to learn something on every trip. Now he is gone and I kill a descent buck plus a bunch of does every year. Almost to easy with WAY more deer know than years ago. Relax and have fun as that is the reason you are going isn't it?

PS I chain smoke cigs and wear old spice deoderant when hunting. Keep the wind in your face and it doesn't matter what you smell like. Kills me to watch guys spend tons of money on scent free clothes then stop and pump gas in there truck. Smell there sleeve. HAHAHA Walk through oil all over the ground and think they are scent free. My son usually kills 10 plus with his bow and feels the same way I do.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  9. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Start with your states Fish and Game department or whatever they call it there. You are probably young enough that you will have to take hunters education to be able to get a license.

They can also give you good advice on proper weapons to use locally.

I hunt in the mountain west, which is typically longer shots across more open terrain. My deer rifle of choice is a 257 Ackley Improved. 120-grain bullets that shoot flat, and hit hard enough to drop deer with one shot.

10. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

^^^^^^^^^^^What He Said^^^^^^^^^^

11. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

In the eastern woods, a .30-30, and for me .44-40 lever gun, work great. Now in Upstate NY a .308, 6.5x55 or other medium range rifle is in order w/ a quality low powered scope tend too work best since you can have from a 50 yard to 300 yard opportunity arise.

12. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I was talking about this !..........

Quote; Start with your states Fish and Game department or whatever they call it there. You are probably young enough that you will have to take hunters education to be able to get a license.

13. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Make sure you know how to properly field dress a kill. Follow your states law regarding sex identity left on the carcass. Tagging and transportation rules are very important. :)

14. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

If you decide to hunt on your own don't overlook public hunting land. Put in for drawings in national forests and other areas were the number of hunters are restricted. I have a lot of fun with my 4 wheelers but the fact of the matter is my canoe takes me to the big bucks. The canoe can go into beaver swamps and shallow streams that few hunters access.

Once you know what a good hunting spot looks like this book is the cheapest guide you can get, California Atlas & Gazetteer. There is an atlas and gazetteer for every state.

http://www.amazon.com/California-At...467052&sr=8-1&keywords=ca+atlas+and+gazetteer

15. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

Find somebody in your area who hunts often and is often SUCCESSFUL, the latter part being the most important criteria. Ask them lots of questions, follow their advice.

I'll give you the most productive tidbits of advice I've ever been given. Don't drive your 4-wheeler or truck all the way to the deer stand. Park and walk a ways. A long ways. And try to position yourself so that the wind is to your face and carries your scent away from your shooting angles.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  16. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

^^^ what he said

17. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

The 1st thing is to learn what a deer looks like and to distinguish it from other animals. There are many stories out there about "hunters" shooting the wrong animal and some of them are true.
    The 2nd thing is to be safe. Know what is behind the animal you are shooting at. Practice safe carry and handling.

18. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I'll second that. One of the most consistent big buck hunters in Idaho, is a GIS Analyst. He takes the roads layers, and makes the lines 5-miles wide, and purple. He then finds areas that are as far from the purple as he can, and hikes into them.

Shoots a big buck every year. Seems more and more guys every year are road hunting, and the big bucks are the ones that stay clear of the roads.

19. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

Aside from your fathers and hunting friends knowledge you don't need much to hunt deer. You need to be familiar with your game and fish rules and regulations. If you can find one sign up for a Hunters Ed. program in your area. Game and Fish can provide info.

My opinion on caliber when it comes to ease of shooting, accuracy, and a deer killing cartridge is the 7mm-08 shooting 140 grain bullets.

Equipment wise for the field. (all can be found on any budget)
    *A small back pack (or similar tote) for essentials
    *Bino's 10x min. (I'm a spot and stalk hunter good binos are very important)
    *Fixed blade sharp knife
    *Canteen /camel etc.
    *Extra Box of Bullets
    *Rifle.

Clothing
    *Cap
    *Levis
    *Sturdy belt
    *Sturdy Boots with lugged sole
    *Earth tone Shirt and jacket

Knowledge of hunting area.
    *Maps.. Study your area, not only do you want to find deer populated areas YOU really want to be able to return to your vehicle/camp at the end of day
    *SCOUT SCOUT and SCOUT some more before your hunt.
    *Always go into the field with a partner. Let others know when you go, where you go and expected return home time

practice shooting at the range, make sure your rifle is zero'd before heading off to hunt.

20. Ruger52

Ruger52 New Member

Hard question to repy to.
    I started hunting wih my Dad and uncles when I was 6. Of course I could not shoot a gun at a animal until I was 12. But by then I knew what to do and with the help of my dad bagged a 6 point bull elk. (12 point for you east of the big river).

The best advice is to find a hunter who currenty hunts and is willing to teach you. If your dad has hunted he knows the most part, but needs a refresher course.

The biggest thing is saftey. It cannot be stressed enough. Know your target. If you are not sure don't shoot.

Be safe and learn to live, and live to learn.