How To Spend My Budget?

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by 1911love, Feb 10, 2014.

1. 1911love

1911love New Member

I've got $2500 budgeted for weapons right now. I can't decide what to get. It can be a combination of weapons or just one, including handguns for the combo suggestions . I prefer modern designs for this go around. I could probably go to $3000 if I had to. I've been kicking around a SCAR 17S, but I'm just not sure because I don't have many opportunities for long distance work.

No idea is too crazy for me. I'm really having a hard time with this and I would appreciate any suggestions you guys can give. Thanks.

2. Ez2b

Ez2b New Member

Well I see you like 1911 so what do you have in 1911

EZ

3. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Let me look through the safe. I'm sure I could let something go for $2,500-$3,000. ;)

no offense and none taken

4. 1911love

1911love New Member

I've got a Kimber Commander. I'd like a Colt Lightweight Commander, but this time I want to focus on semi-auto rifles. If I can get a rifle I really want with some money left over that might be an option. Great suggestion, I'd rather sink more money into a rifle though. Last I checked a couple weeks ago the Colt was around $1000.

5. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 New Member

What do you currently own? That would help. If you already have a nice stash then one really nice rifle might be good. If you don't then maybe 2 or 3 decent options would give you something for every occasion. I had a similar 'problem' recently, and I went with a Ruger Mini, Kimber 84M in 243, CZ 452 and a S&W 686. Lots of fun for the $$. But if you have similar toys already maybe a kick ass rifle like the SCAR is in order.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

6. 1911love

1911love New Member

Ha! Maybe a Cobra and a Hi Point .45ACP Carbine right? I'm sold!

7. Ez2b

Ez2b New Member

Cool cuz I just made a big step into a 1911 myself I just bought a Les Baer and I absolutely love it.
    Should be able to find what you're looking for stock seems to be getting more plentiful at most gun stores.
    Be patient I'm sure a lot of people will shine in with their recommendations for a long gun

EZ

8. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Not so fast. Pick one or the other. :p

no offense and none taken

9. JW357

JW357 New Member

A semi-auto rifle huh?

Personally I would like a Tavor. But more than that, I would want a Tommy gun.

Yup. That's my suggestion. A Tommy gun.

(I don't even know if you can buy them in your budget. I'm sure someone will let us know.)

_________

If this is the first time you've read this, up until now you think I typed this out in response to this thread. Well, the jokes on you. This is my signature line. Know it, embrace it, love it.

10. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

yeah... i was thinkin'..... this 1911 guy really wants to take McCool for a ride. geeeshhh.

I'll second the Tavor... (unless the tommy gun as a 50rd drum)

11. Point6liter

Point6liter New Member

HK293 or HK293C, and of course a scar 17s looks good in any collection

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

As a scar17 owner if I had of gotten one a lot sooner I wouldn't have a bunch of ar15's... wouldn't have needed them.

My wife claimed my savage 10fcp-sr and said this one is mine go get what you want... I ran across a scar in a local shop after a deal on a colt le901 dropped through and I do not regret it.

Its a big leap to take especially since you would still need mags and optic at a minimum.

Its hard to make suggestions without really knowing what your looking to do. There are great choices for ww2 garands carbines bolt guns.... lever guns marlins winchesters ubertis.... modern bolt guns can't go wrong with new fn production winchester mod70 classics, savage, remington 700... ar15's bcm, rra, psa, dd, colt, etc.

13. 1911love

1911love New Member

Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far.

I already picked up a bullpup last year, a STG-556, so Tavor is off the table for the moment, although I do want one.

I don't want a semi-auto Thompson and the FA is WAY outside of my budget.

Thanks for bringing up the "extras" I would need with a 17S JonM. That's part of what is scaring me. I'd need a PMAG lower, super SCAR trigger, and some nice glass like a NF 2.5-10x24. Those extras are probably around $2500-$3000. I'm also concerned about uses for the SCAR. Would it be suitable for hunting? Would it be useful in Florida? Considering my location would it be better to go black or FDE? I'm also concerned with all the plastic FN used and if it'll hold up under hard use.

Another option I was kicking around was a PS90 and a FiveseveN in a fitted Pelican case. I just can't come up with any uses for the package other than fun. If SHTF I'd grab my AR and my G19.

I only have mil-surp bolt guns, I'd like a high end modern bolt gun, but I'm really going for a semi-auto for this budget.

14. 1911love

1911love New Member

I just went to the LGS and checked out a Sig 716. It was pretty nice. Anyone know how these stack up next to the 17S, MWS, and REPR? It was a lot less than those and would leave me with enough to get another weapon, but I don't want a POS or something sub-standard.

15. jeepnjonny

jeepnjonny New Member

My top gun right now is an m1a with nice glass on it. I'm saving up for about the same budget.

16. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

There's always an FAL, it's semi modern, well within budget and just freaking cool.

You would have enough left over for plenty of extras and probably another rifle too.

Attached Files:

17. kbd512

kbd512 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Like JonM, I am a SCAR-17 owner, and that rifle is hands down the most useful and versatile general purpose rifle you can buy for 2.5K. You'll not get your hands on a military issue .308 semi-auto rifle that does more for the same amount of money, although I'm sure some will argue the point.

Pros:

You have virtually unlimited optics and accessory mounting options from the box without modification to the rifle. The iron sights are excellent, although I think most users will mount an optic of some kind.

The controls are AR-15 layout and easy to reach. The safety is short-throw, so it's easier to disengage. The mag release is oversize so you can hit it with gloves. The charging handle is connected to the bolt so you can apply more force to charge the weapon with, if needed, and it's reversible. If you run the charging handle on the left hand side of the rifle, you can lock the bolt back with one hand. If you need something larger for use with gloves, you can purchase a variety of aftermarket charging handles.

The stock is quick-adjustable for LOP and comb height and it also folds and locks in the folded position if you need that capability for anything.

The barrel length and weight is sufficient for what most people are going to use a semi-auto rifle for and it's awfully accurate for a semi-auto.

The rifle breaks down easily and the parts are relatively easy to clean.

It only weighs eight pounds unloaded. Add an Aimpoint, SureFire weapon light like a Scout or X300, sling, and fully loaded magazine and the rifle still weighs less than ten pounds.

What's not to like about all that?

Cons:

The standard AR-15 grip is too small for most mens' hands and places your finger too far forward on the trigger. I replaced mine with a Tango Down model.

You can hit your hand on oversize optics mounts with the charging handle that comes with the rifle. I replaced mine with a Tango Down model. Whomever is responsible for that gaff needs a good throttling.

The trigger isn't what it should be for a rifle of that price. It's not unusable, but it should be better.

The rifle doesn't come with rail cover panels for the sections of rail you aren't using. I purchased Tango Down rail panels and use SureFire rail covers on the top.

The stock latch is a little dinky. Once again, Tango Down.

The modified FAL magazine thing is puzzling to me. If I had ordered the rifle for SOCOM, I'd have mandated that it use SR-25 pattern magazines because SOCOM already has SR-25's in inventory. There was no need to purchase yet another magazine design.

The M-14 and FAL were and are fantastic rifles, but optics weren't standard issue when those rifles were designed. The amount of money that goes into a properly made M-14 is nearly double that of the SCAR-17 and a well made AR-10 or FAL with an equivalent feature set costs nearly as much as a SCAR-17 these days.

If you don't want a SCAR-17, M-14, or FAL variant, then the AR-10 is another option. I have a M-1, M-14, and SCAR-17 for comparison. I have shot various AR-10's and FAL's owned by friends. The first rifle I ever owned was a HK-91. I remember that it was ridiculously nose heavy, something near 12 pounds with a loaded steel magazine and FERO Z-24 optic, ergonomics were not that great, and it had far sharper recoil than any of the other .308 semi-autos I've shot. I couldn't recommend it to anyone when there are so many better rifles available with a better supply of parts.

18. 1911love

1911love New Member

Kbd, thanks for your input! I was pretty close to making my mind up. You guys have helped me make my decision. I was just scared about all the money it costs, I've never spent this much on a weapon. I'm no longer scared.

Thanks again to everybody, one will be in the safe really soon. All in all, I think a great semi-auto .308 will be much more useful than a PS90/FiveseveN combo.

Now I just have to decide between black or FDE. I'm in Florida, so no desert environments. The LGS brought up a good point though. If I want to put a camo finish on her, the FDE version would be better. I'm not sure, anyone have thoughts on color choice for a Florida environment?

19. JW357

JW357 New Member

Personally I prefer black over FDE. No reason, just my tastes.

It was time for a new signature. This is what you get.

20. 1911love

1911love New Member

I prefer black also, but I am planning on using it occasionally to hunt and camp/hike. That's why I was considering a camo pattern. I'm not sure of the best process or what it costs though. I wouldn't be ok with a finsh that faded/rubbed off or cracked.