How to restore a MG42 Barrel

Discussion in 'Engraving & Refinishing' started by Danish_zj, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Danish_zj

Danish_zj New Member

Hi,

I have recently bought a MG42 barrel that I need to restore. The barrel is a deko barrel but I want to have it restored the right way so no "value", historic or money wise, is lost. Plus it will help me learn how to restore old weapons.

The barrel has some rust on it so what I was thinking was to put the barrel in a lathe and while it is turning applying some 000 or 0000 steel wool to it perhaps with a dap of oil.

Is this the way to go? I want to keep what little original finish/bluing there might be.

Tom

Attached Files:

2. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

Soak in WD 40 for a couple of days. Scrub with coarse cloth until rust stops coming off, and part is dry. Then scrub lightly with 0000 steel wool or bronze wool. Use dry and wipe frequently. Soak in WD 40 again, repeat process as many times as necessary. Using the lathe might help with recesses and sharp edges, but use it last.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

What Bill said- but would avoid steel wool- go for bronze wool. or my standby- copper pot scrubber. If barrel turns coppery color wet with more oil, rub with clean coarse cloth.

4. Danish_zj

Danish_zj New Member

Thanks for the help. It is greatly appreciated

Best Regards,
    Thomas