How to remove this k3b permanent flash hider????

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by andy_ita, Jan 23, 2010.

1. andy_ita

andy_ita New Member

hi from ITALY guys

i bought today this used olympic K3b, made and assembled in may 2006.
    it have this permanent flash hider mounted.. and i want to remove it cause i want to change the front sight and mount a new GG&G gas port.

any idea on how to remove this flash hider??

ciao
    andy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. DarinCraft

DarinCraft New Member

a chop saw comes to mind. If it is permanently mounted whether it be blind pinned and/or welded, it's permanent and the only thing you can do is cut it off. Judging by the looks of the barrel if you cut it off the barrel will be shorter than 16." I don't know what your laws are, but in the states you can not at any point in time own a rifle barrel that is less than 16" otherwise it becomes an NFA issue...big no no. The only way to cut a barrel down to less than 16" is through a Class III gun smith and I believe a NFA stamp.

Just something you might want to look into.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010

3. andy_ita

andy_ita New Member

oh....
    is it an easy thing to do?

4. DarinCraft

DarinCraft New Member

Not really...but it depends on your expertise. Additionally, shortening the barrel that drastically might mess with the gas system and cause the rifle to function improperly or not at all.

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Probably silver soldered. A propane torch to heat the solder should soften it enough to unscrew it. I do not recall if Oly used blind pins on these.

6. andy_ita

andy_ita New Member

guys
    just a think...
    i compared the flash hider mounted with a vortex i have here...
    the area where the barrel is threaded is the area marked in blue ( i measued it the internal with a caliper)
    so,
    compared with the mouned flash hider...
    if there is a pin welded...it could be only in the red area...
    or not?

[​IMG]

7. andy_ita

andy_ita New Member

sorry...
    what silver soldered mean?
    how this thing work?
    is a kind of loctite glue?

8. DarinCraft

DarinCraft New Member

Robocop is completely right, I forgot about Silver soldier. It's a high temp soldier.

Sorry about that

9. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Just something to think about but there is no barrel under that extension and you may wind up with a sub 16" barrel, also doubt there are threads for mounting a traditional flash suppressor. Don't know if that's an issue in Italy or not but that muzzle extension is there for a reason other than looks cause it's damned ugly!!!

10. andy_ita

andy_ita New Member

here is the sight the barrel have at 2 o'clock

it may be the pin?

[​IMG]

well...
    if i look into the flash hider with a surfire, see the barrel , that end where the 2 rings on the flash hider ended
    and then there is in another internal ring
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. andy_ita

andy_ita New Member

just polished the area near the sign at 2 o'clock...

it may be the pin??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Call the manufacturer or take it to a gunsmith.

I think you are in over your head and may render the weapon worthless.

13. andy_ita

andy_ita New Member

hehehe
    not so easy
    im in italy...
    i can try to call Oly arms...but my english is not so good to understand by phone..
    and ... there is no ar15 gunsmith here.....:-(

14. jeepcreep927

jeepcreep927 New Member

If it's an Olympic made in the US (I realize he's in Italy) the barrel needs to be 16". If the flash hider brings the barrel to that length, it MUST BE permanently attatched and according to BATFE standards, silver solder is not considered permanent. The mark you found looks to be a plug weld, or a hole for the pin which has been driven below the surface then filled with weld.

Drilling out the weld will probably cost you more in drill bits and frustration than a new barrel. Just a thought.

15. andy_ita

andy_ita New Member

the Oly was made in the usa in the 2006, i dont know if for the US market or for the export
    the serial number start with a E letter...
    it may mean export.. or not.. is only a supposition

i bought it yesterday here in italy.

about to have a new barrel... i cant.. here in italy we dotn have it on sale... and... buy it there in usa cost more in burocracy and papers than the real cost of the barrel....

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  16. jeepcreep927

jeepcreep927 New Member

I guess if you have the time and ambition you could attempt to drill it out, but I think Cane pretty well concluded that if you contact the manufacturer they could tell you A) If there was any difference in export models and B) How the flash hider is secured.

Your English seems perfectly fine to get the point across to a tech rep. Maybe email them if spoken English is more difficult for you?

17. andy_ita

andy_ita New Member

heeheh guys... u r right...
    well....i just sent an email to Oly arms yesterday..
    i gave theyr #number and date of productions...and hope they will send me a reply..

but im only.....impatient.... to remove this flash hider......;-)

in effects..... do it now or in a week is the same... as i still dont have here parts i ordered from there.. a new DD 10" lite rail and a novenske k3x flash suppressor.... and the 5.5" orignal flash hider to keep it legal...
    but... im impatient....;-)

18. andy_ita

andy_ita New Member

guys
    is possible that the pin is in the position number 2 so it pass near the barrel thread and not like the #1.. on top of the thread...

it explains why the hole is at 2 o'clock and not at 12 o'clock...

[​IMG]

19. andy_ita

andy_ita New Member

[​IMG]

got it...
    i removed the pin that vas on the top of the barrel.. at 12 o'clock, in orizontal, not in vertical as i thought..
    the broke the old fh...
    now im waiting the DD 10" rail, the noveske k3x and a new 5.5" to be "legal" when i hold the rifle here at home..
    btw i saved the old fh and i can mount it till the new come..
    is a bit ruined..but serviciable...

thanks for the time and help guys
    andy

20. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I was wrong, I apologize, you did a fine job!

Way to go andy!!!!