How to recrown?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by Mosin, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

Hey all, I'm thinking about taking a few inches off my .22 barrel, then recrowning it. I've never done this before but have decided this rifle would be a good start for this project.
    Does anyone know how to do this? Any advice, instructions, etc?...
    Yes, I have access to a full machine shop.

2. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

The barrel can be hand cut with a hacksaw.Then the best way to re-crown would be on a lathe, if you have one. You can also do it by hand with the proper tools, but would have to purchase them (not cheap). I would suggest you take it to a gunsmith to have it done, it would be cheaper and should be done right. If you want to check into hand tools, check for barrel crowning tools at www.brownells.com .

Jim........

3. hiwall

hiwall Active Member

You don't really have to crown the barrel. You can de-bur it and that's enough(if you want). Barrels are crowned for looks and to protect the bore right at the muzzle. If you want to crown it then listen to masterPsmith. Midwayusa also has stuff for crowning.

4. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

Like I said, I have full access to a machine shop. So i have a lathe.
    Now, this just highlights my ignorance, but I thought a crown was for improved accuracy...

5. trip286

trip286 New Member

I have no idea how the just for looks idea came about.

Crowning does help with accuracy, as a good target crown is designed to allow the gases to escape evenly around the bullet as it leaves the muzzle.

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

A crown provides an even muzzle, so that the gasses are not expelled more to one side than the other (pushes bullet off course), and protects that last little smidge of rifling at the muzzle from getting dinged up.

Instead of the traditional rounded over, some of my target rifles have a recessed "flat" crown, or a straight 11 degree recess at the muzzle.

Be sure you do bot drop barrel length below 16 inches, or you have other problems (with the ATF)

7. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's a Remington 597. I'm looking to "revamp" her. Volquartzen trigger, new ejector (it broke, which inspired this project), and a new paint job. I figured I'd take a few off the barrel and recrown it. as well. I have lathe experience, just not on a barrel...

8. bearrwe

bearrwe New Member

9. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

Thanks bearrwe! That's pretty much what I was looking for... OFF TO THE LATHE!!!!!!

10. hiwall

hiwall Active Member

actually I am totally correct in my statement above. cutting the barrel square and de-burring is where the accuracy is achieved. the crown is only for looks and and to protect that true cut on the muzzle. if you do not run the muzzle into rocks or other hard surfaces there is no need to crown.

11. Jim1611

Jim1611 New Member

Technically you may be correct. What you say will work but you have to be able to make absolutely sure that the muzzle is square and doing that by hand isn't easily done. Facing the muzzle off in the lathe is the very best way top get rid of burrs too. Almost anything you use to deburr the bore will scratch the inside of the muzzle and that ruins accuracy. Doing in on the lathe however you can start the cut with the tool cutting towards the outside of the barrel and when you're done there is virtually no burr, provided the tool is sharp and set at or just below center. Attaining accuracy is usually paying attention to details here and there on the entire rifle and a proper crown is one of the basic buildning blocks for a rifle that shoots as good as it can.

12. Flat Tire

Flat Tire New Member

When you have it on the lathe, pull your last cut from the center-out. This will leave the bur where it is out of way.

And thread it 1/2 x 28

13. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

Youtube is your friend.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OorpZlG28fI[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=962CVd1DQ7s&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGLwk19HH_g&feature=related[/ame]