How to prevent rust

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by iftown, May 29, 2013.

1. iftown

iftown New Member

So ive got a ? Hope to get some help. I live in a basement apartment and it stays really moist and humid down here and i clean my guns regularly and oil them after every time i shoot. Well i went to grab my shotgun and 1 of my 1911s and i noticed some rudt was starting to form on them. I just moved in here not to long ago and i have nowhere else to keep my guns but i dont want the rusting to continue ive thought about getting a de humidifier. But pretty pricey anybody have any other options to keep from rusting. And like i said i take goof care of my guns and do oil them regularly. Thank u

2. iftown

iftown New Member

Rust i meant sorry bout the typo

3. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

A dehumidifier would help. Also maybe try wrapping them in a silicon cloth or gun sock. Will help to keep it under control.

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

What are you keeping them in now?

5. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

For now buy one of those big plastic tubs with a tight fitting lid and a couple of Damp-rid containers or one of the rechargeable Remington dehumidifier Model 365's @ sportsmansguide.com. I'd also recommend silicone treated gun socks.

6. nixfix

nixfix New Member

Great advice. I use the Stack-On de-humidifiers in my locker and they work great.

7. iftown

iftown New Member

My judge and my 1911s and my 300 win are in cases under my bed they all have the padding in them and my shotgun i dont have a case yet for so its under my bed to but it seems like the ones in the gun cases are rusting a bit more. Could they be sweating in there to much ?

8. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

I have always wiped my guns down lightly with Hoppes #9 after cleaning and I have never had rust issues. The bluing on all of my guns still looks new also, even my '94 that I have had for 39 years. Storing them with a dehumidifier helps a lot also.

9. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

Never store guns in cases. Air needs to circulate to prevent rust. Cases are for carrying, not storage.

10. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I had a 1911 that would come out of the safe with rust spots every month. I coated it in Clp and never had another issue.

11. HankStone

HankStone New Member

A light coat of Vaseline.

12. cotex

cotex New Member

You had me at, " light coating of Vaseline" hahahah