How to paint/blacken stainless???????????

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Nathantc, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Nathantc

Nathantc New Member

OK I have been thinking of getting a non stainless fluted/theaded 24" bull barrel to replace my barrel with. Problem is this rifle will shoot one ragged hole at 100yards. The next barrel I get may not.

So the question is how can I make this one match the rifle in a way that will last, but not have any negative affects. I have some scrap stainless that I tried an etching primer on and flat black krylon but that's not holding at all, I can rub most of it off with just a welding glove.

Is there a primer made just for stainless, or is this impossible to have a some what durable finish on stainless.

I just don't like shinny on a rifle.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2011
  2. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

I can't tell you how it's done but it is most certainly possible.

Most handguns available today come with in black despite having stainless steel slides so I know the manufactures can do it.

I'm sure you'll get some suggestions.

TACK

3. Nathantc

Nathantc New Member

i also know dura coat doesnt hold any better than any other paint

4. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Cerakote. Only good option.

5. Nathantc

Nathantc New Member

why would that work any better than regular krylon:confused:

6. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Because it's made to take heat. Regular Krylon isn't.

7. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

It would really help things if the surface was bead blasted first.There are several different coatings that can be applied to stainless steel.
    Google metal coatings.

8. unclebear

unclebear New Member

zinc crome 8 primer, then regular primer then paint.

9. Nathantc

Nathantc New Member

i think thats the answer i was looking for, thanks, i will try that on some scrap and see how it does

10. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Nathantc,

In the past I have went the easy way. If you can have a tool shop bead blast your barrel. If not then clean the barrel good with break and parts cleaner then use the High Temp Wood Burner Stove Paint *Flat Black! on it as you mentioned. The one I did lasted a very long time without bead blasting it. And if I ever got it against metal or something that scratched the paint off I just touched it up with the same paint and it blended perfectly. Only had to touch it up twice in about 6 years. So it is very durable. Just mask off the parts you do not want to paint like your Gas Block and etc.

11. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Good for everything

image-3398811799.png

12. Nathantc

Nathantc New Member

do u think it would help to use light sand paper on it. im not use to messing with stainless

13. canebrake

canebrake New Member

It's more important to get it clean. Remove all dirt and oil.

14. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Buy a sheet of the cheap scotch bright at walmart, buff the steel w it till it turns dark. Wipe w clean tshirt piece then black rustoleom for outdoor steel. Make sure to tape off anything you dnt want painted. A wad of cotton ball in the muzzle also allows you to paint the muzzle without fouling ur riflings with paint.

15. Nathantc

Nathantc New Member

i use earplugs for that lol.

16. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Ya I would use ear plugs also except my dang dog eats em as soon as he sees them;) that and I have a few guns that I have to have ear plugs AND my ear muffs for when im playing with them

17. Nathantc

Nathantc New Member

Take the big honking muzzle brake off. I mean hell its not like your shoulder wont heal:D

18. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

They dont have muzzle breaks for the rifles and the pistols....well id prefer to keep them the way they are

19. eon047

eon047 New Member

^ This works wonders. Duracoat I've seen work in some cases but not as reliable as that ^.