How to make your own 9mm bullets

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by dboy007, Jul 7, 2013.

1. dboy007

dboy007 New Member

I'm 18 and I want to make my own 9mm bullets how to

2. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The easy answer is cast bullets. A set of Lee bullet molds and a 9MM sizer will make nice bullets. Check Lee Production molds in 9MM and tumble lube.
    For the 9MM I prefer a hard alloy of a 12 BHN. You may be OK mixing wheel weight alloy with some Linotype. :)

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

do you reload or know how to cast bullets?

these are the first steps to learn in how to make ammo.

4. dboy007

dboy007 New Member

I know how to reload I don't know how to cast bullets will I be able to buy the bullets online at 18

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

cast bullets/ i don't see why not. should be no problem. loaded ammo they might have some restrictions due to your age, but the bullets theselves i doubt.

they have several books about bullet casting if you want to learn how. lot of different molds for bullets are available.

6. dboy007

dboy007 New Member

Thanks and is there a particular book you recommend

7. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Bullet casting is not difficult. I use pure wheel weights to mold 9mm. Buy a good set of welding gloves and always wear eye protection. Always work in a well ventilated area. I work in my back yard. I set up a counter top across a couple of saw horses. This way I am not breathing in a bunch of lead fumes. You can buy a casting pot at midwayusa.com for a wide range of prices. They can be as cheap as $20 or $30 and up to well over $100. You can get a Lee bullet mold on midway for about $20.00 for a mold that does 2 bullets at a time. It is about $40 for a 6 bullet mold. But the 2 bullet mold comes will a handle. You need to buy the handle separately for the 6 bullet mold. I use the 6 bullet mold for most of my casting. It is much, much, much faster.

8. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

You have some good advice on casting bullets. Find a local junk/recycle yard and see what they charge for used wheel weights. I am paying .40 cents a pound. Some folks are lucky enough to get them for free, so you might check at a tire store and see if you can get them. They make great bullets. Casting bullets is a relaxing activity and not too hard to master. As stated above, make sure you work in an area with good ventilation. I cast in my garage with a big fan and all the doors open. Wear good leather gloves and always wear eye protection and long pants. I'm always surprised where I find little specs of cooled molten lead. Once you get into to this you'll have to decide if you are going to air dry your bullets or use a cold water bath. I use a cold water bath....water, even a very small amount, and molten lead are an exceedingly explosive combination. Read and learn all you can about this aspect of casting lead. You're starting a great hobby that will serve you well in your shooting life. good luck and stay safe