Firearms Talk banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Banned
5,559 Posts
We dont see bears much except on trail cams here.
That said my friend was keeping bees last summer. A black bear started coming to his hives.
He got it to leave by playing a boom box near the hives and occasionally setting off some powerful firecrackers during the day and evening.

Personally i think a shoulder fired TOW missle would be appropriate.

·
Proud to be an American
3,491 Posts
I have had 7 or 8 encounters here on my property in the past 30+ years and the only scary one was last year at a distance of 10'. It did not end well for the bear or my undies! A black bear at night is near invisible until he's right there!

This particular bear had visited several times and I suspect some idiot had been feeding him, the plan was I would scare off my back deck and as he departed to hit him in the arse with a bean bag round to help him on his way. As stated earlier in the dark near invisible so as I stepped out onto the deck he turned and came back up, the bean bag round had not been chambered and was still on the lift. His sudden appearance that close must have rattled me because the bean bag fell out and I inadvertently let fly with a 00 buck at 10' or less.

That was something I deeply regretted.

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
Welcome from just a little ways over in Maine. 30-06 will do it, 45-70 will do it better, and 300 win mag will do it even better. 44 mag and 454 casull ain’t bad either- just major sure you use hard cast bullets. That being said- black bears aren’t much of a threat. Most folks here just shoo them off. Since you’ve come up here to the New England big woods- the real thing to watch out for is moose. They attack more people every year, and that attack is far more likely to be fatal.

·
Proud to be an American
3,491 Posts
The 00 buck was not intended for bear that just happened, I save that for interlopers!

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
Black bears attack more people here than Brown bears do, kill more people too as I recall.
That may be true- but there are way more black bears and they are found in way more places. When you account for population size and distribution, brown bears definitely attack and kill more people. Moose are the real dangers though. Not only do moose attack and kill more people in Maine, Colorado and Alaska (those are the only states I’ve seen data on) but there are less of them

·
Premium Member
22,626 Posts
I've had grizzlies walk up to the edge of my camp. They sniff around, figure there's nothing to eat, and walk away. Never had the inclination to shoot one of them. And I never had any irrational fear of them.

They don't bother me, so I don't bother them.

Reactions: SRK97

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Black bears attack more people here than Brown bears do, kill more people too as I recall.
Ummm, no.

There are an estimated 600 thousand black bears in America compared to 55 thousand Grizzly bears including Alaska.

The chance of even seeing a Grizzly Bear in the wild is almost nil.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You have my utmost respect for your situation and the safety of your family. My situation is far different. The chance of encountering a furry "bear" here in Southern California is slim, but I do keep bear spray in all my family's vehicles. Carrying a gun here is a really difficult proposition. People self defense pepper spray is limited to 2.5 oz. in Calif. Bear spray is commonly 7.9-10.2 oz. and shoots 30 Feet. Not a gun, but better than nothing. They make a variety of bear sprays with different heat ratings. Also good for dog attacks, mountain lions and coyotes too. I would recommend having one for every family member to carry while on the property with proper training. Just a thought. In rural Alaska it is common to have a specially designed food storage structure, separate from the house/cabin to help reduce bear problems. After all, here in SoCal you never know when you may encounter a "grumpy bear" in rush hour traffic.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
The 30-06 is quite adequate to kill a bear. The question is can you kill/stop a bear with it!

I am not a renowned expert on bears, but I have dealt with them on more than one occasion. You need to realize that if a bear really runs (charges), he can cover that 50 yards a lot faster than would give you time to shut the car door and run into the barn. So you have to consider if you could aim and effectively administer a kill shot or seriously wound a running bear with your 30-06. If you are trying to sight with a scope, you will likely never get him in the crosshairs fast enough. Your friends recommendation of a shotgun was likely taking that into consideration. Brenneke Black Magic slugs are pretty potent in a shotgun I understand.

The shotgun (12 gauge pump) is probably a better choice than your 30-06 simply because you can aim it faster at a moving target. I would also suggest equipping yourselves with some bear spray (not my first choice, but is fairly effective). And learn to store food carefully; do some reading and learn some ways to store food to minimize bear problems and not loose your food. The best way to deal with bears is mostly learning how to live in proximity of them, not just how to kill them...again, do some reading and educate yourself on the subject. And be prepared; neither the shotgun or the bear spray will do you any good if you cannot get to them before the bear reaches you...and I emphasize, they can move much faster than you might realize.
If you have aggressive/comfortable bears coming into your yard while you're present, carry a handgun in a caliber that starts with a 4 and practice with it every day.
And keep that 06 handy. Shoot them if they casually come into your yard with people there.
Thanks man

·
Registered
191 Posts
If a grizzly bear is changing you it's because you're in his territory and he wants you to leave.

If a black bear is changing you it's because he wants to eat you.

30.06 is more than adequate for a black bear, if you have it on you and you've practiced firing quickly at a fast moving target. I'd opt for a .357 or larger revolver or a 10mm semi-auto in a holster instead. You're more likely to have it on you when you need it. But drawing from a holster and putting shots on target quickly while under pressure required lots of practice.

Better yet, get a dog. I've personally seen a 45 lb cattle dog chase off a good sized black bear. Most bears just want to be left alone to do their bear thing and take advantage of an easy meal and being harassed by a dog makes whatever it is just not worth it for them.

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
Some of those black bears are pretty smart. In a Tahoe NF campground my daughter watched a sow check all 4 doors on a car without damaging it. The bear went over to one of the bear proof steel food lockers, calmly opened it, helped herself and closed the door. She told the ranger and his response was "so that is who is stealing food from the lockers." That sow was an expert thief. She never bothered anyone and found out if she just sat there and posed people would feed her. If someone tried to shoo her away she would go to another campsite. No fear of humans. She was pretty much considered a camp pet.

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
Some of those black bears are pretty smart. In a Tahoe NF campground my daughter watched a sow check all 4 doors on a car without damaging it. The bear went over to one of the bear proof steel food lockers, calmly opened it, helped herself and closed the door. She told the ranger and his response was "so that is who is stealing food from the lockers." That sow was an expert thief. She never bothered anyone and found out if she just sat there and posed people would feed her. If someone tried to shoo her away she would go to another campsite. No fear of humans. She was pretty much considered a camp pet.
Black bears are super smart. Hunting them is the hardest hunt you can do in Maine because they are so smart- you have to trick them and outsmart them on top of all the normal hunting difficulties.

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
You have my utmost respect for your situation and the safety of your family. My situation is far different. The chance of encountering a furry "bear" here in Southern California is slim, but I do keep bear spray in all my family's vehicles. Carrying a gun here is a really difficult proposition. People self defense pepper spray is limited to 2.5 oz. in Calif. Bear spray is commonly 7.9-10.2 oz. and shoots 30 Feet. Not a gun, but better than nothing. They make a variety of bear sprays with different heat ratings. Also good for dog attacks, mountain lions and coyotes too. I would recommend having one for every family member to carry while on the property with proper training. Just a thought. In rural Alaska it is common to have a specially designed food storage structure, separate from the house/cabin to help reduce bear problems. After all, here in SoCal you never know when you may encounter a "grumpy bear" in rush hour traffic.
It really depends on your situation what you carry. In Southern CA- it’s too urban to just walk around with a Super Blackhawk openly on your hip, and your chances of needing it are damn near zero. In Maine (where I live) or Vermont, or Alaska etc- open carry in a rural area isn’t uncommon- and there is a much much greater chance of having to use it. For black bears though, it never hurts to carry bear spray along with your firearm. Spray can be effective sometimes and it allows you to not have to kill they animal. Again, the OP is moving to Vermont, so his biggest fear should be a moose. I’ve lived in Maine and rural Central Massachusetts for 90% of my life and have never heard of someone having problems with a bear, but I’ve heard a few stories about aggressive moose. Spray does nothing to a moose and you likely couldn’t get it in the eyes because they’re so tall. Again- the most important thing you can do is try to avoid any possible confrontations- read up about how to stay safe around bear, moose and bison. And most importantly- enjoy these beautiful creatures FROM A SAFE DISTANCE!!!! I carry in the woods but unless I’m out hunting, I’d never want to have to kill a me of these beautiful animals. When hunting- I’m connecting with nature and I know that my shot will be absolutely ethical and that I will be able to get the most humane and healthy meat on earth- the same cannot be said about a wildlife defense situation

21 - 40 of 53 Posts