How to "Ghost Load" or "Carrier Load" or "Float a Round" a Shotgun

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Amsdorf, May 18, 2013.

1. Amsdorf

Amsdorf New Member

Some shotguns permit you to "float" a shell on top of the carrier, while one is in the chamber, and your magazine is full. In this way you can get the maximum capacity out of your shotgun. In this video the shotgun I'm demonstrating to "ghost load" is a M4 Benelli, with the full length magazine tube I put on it, I have a nine round capacity with carrier loading.

Carrier loading is included in the USMC's operation manual for the M1014 (the Marine version of the M4).

If you guys know of other shotguns you can do this with, let me know.

Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/edit?ns=1&video_id=vf7agIzbTvs

2. akers06

akers06 New Member

I know you can with the stoeger m3500

3. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

Wonder what's going to happen when the game wardens hear of this "ability". Federal law says 3 max for any migratory species, and many states have similar laws for other game.

4. msup752

msup752 New Member

I have an M4 and have done this several times. It is interesting but not practical as it is not quick to do. Thus my initial loading at the range will include the extra round but I don't bother with it after that.

5. 70cuda383

70cuda383 Member

if the law states 3 rounds max, and the game warden inspects your weapon for compliance (plug in the mag tube, etc. to prevent you from loading more than 3 rounds total) and he finds you've "ghost loaded" a 4th round...I imagine that would be a violation of the law and you would be cited

6. Squawk

Squawk New Member

Yes you would be cited.

7. Amsdorf

Amsdorf New Member

Probably not a whole lot of people duck hunting with a M4 Benelli, but...you never know.

: )

Tactical Duck Hunting!!!

8. Amsdorf

Amsdorf New Member

"Practical" ... no, not for reloads, that's for sure. But the USMC includes it in the operator's manual since Marines will take their M1014s (the military version of the M4) with one floated to increase capacity. Better to have one extra and not need it, then need it and not have it...and all that.

9. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

You don't have to have it loaded with 4, it just has to be capable of it. Stoegers are common duck guns. They better fix that.

10. Amsdorf

Amsdorf New Member

Like I said, I'm not aware of many people that enjoy "Tactical Duck Hunting" with a M4 Benelli.

11. akers06

akers06 New Member

The m4 isn't the only gun capable of being ghost loaded....I'm pretty sure all of the benelli style of inertia action can be ghost loaded

12. readygirl

readygirl New Member

Mossy 930 - 7+1+1

13. readygirl

readygirl New Member

Last edited: May 19, 2013
  14. TexasGunner

TexasGunner New Member

You can do that with my Chiappa 1873 12 ga. 5 + 2
    image-1834611571.jpg

15. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

I know some of the newer Benellis have a notch on the bottom of the bolt or carrier that prevents this, so I guess they got the word. I have done a little scouting around, and it appears some wardens already know about this and are checking. None of my guns will do it, and I am not into tactical so I was oblivious. It appears several brands of pumps and semi autos can do this. I don't know all the state laws, but I know the Federal boys can confiscate your gun - saw it happen in Maryland. Guy had only been loading two in the magazine, but he had forgotten his plug.
    If you have a gun that can be ghost loaded, and you plan to waterfowl hunt, or hunt where the capacity is limited by law, I would get in touch with the manufacturer and see if they have a fix they can send you. Losing your gun and getting smacked with a hefty fine would make for a bad day.
    I got a $385 fine 20 years ago for one dove over the limit. My dog was retrieving for me and a couple of other guys. I had actually walked back to the truck and unloaded and was sitting there drinking an iced tea when the warden checked me. I have never been more shocked than when he counted the birds. I counted them again, and told him what must have happened. He was very sympathetic as he wrote out the ticket. He said, "You know I could confiscate your gun, too, don't you?" Terror struck me as I glanced at my $5500 SxS 28 gauge. He must have been scared I was going to have a heart attack, because he quickly added he wasn't going to. I have been a wee bit more careful since.

16. Amsdorf

Amsdorf New Member

Love Big Daddy and his channel.

I like to go fast too! The key here is the shirt. Got to wear the ugliest shirt you can find to get full speed out of the M4.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dibSfoBtGU[/ame]

Of course, you can also go fast with eight round, but ONLY if you wear a long sleeve button down business shirt:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwWowQDX8eY[/ame]

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  17. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Any Mossberg will hold one more shell than the listed capacity if the gun is loaded with 2 3/4" ammo. You are over compressing the magazine spring so you should never store a Mossberg with an extra shell in it. But the extra shell is an advantage in a 3 gun match. With my cuff I have 14 shots I can lay down PDQ.

18. JonM

JonM Moderator

Dowel rod limiting to one shell in the tube solves it. Just cut to length and drop it in the center of the spring. No need for a permanent "fix"

19. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

The game warden has to catch you with a ghost load. You plug your gun 2+1. You don't run a ghost load all the time.

20. orlando_marquez

orlando_marquez New Member

My Mossberg 930 SPX autoloader can be "ghost loaded". 7+1+1. I have seen a co-worker ghost load his Remington 870 but I'm not sure which 870 model he has.

Sent from my Winchester 1300 Defender using Firearms Talk mobile app

Attached Files: