How to get the "Blonde" look on wood furniture.

Discussion in 'Engraving & Refinishing' started by ARnoob, Oct 6, 2010.

1. ARnoob

ARnoob New Member

I've been experimenting with different stains on wood furniture in an attempt to get a blonde color. I've bleached the wood and just added tung oil, which turned out nicely, but was more of a "nude" than a blonde.

I've used a golden pecan, which also is really nice, but not blonde. I read somewhere what one guy used a mix of Watco Teak Oil and golden pecan, but I have yet to try that.

What stains (already made or your own mixes) do you guys recomend?

Thanks!

2. ARnoob

ARnoob New Member

Here are the results of using Golden Yellow RIT dye.

Attached Files:

3. m72law

m72law New Member

that AK furniture looks good AR...

when i want to achieve a blonde look on a rifle/pistol stock,i sand the living crap out of the wood (by hand)mostly :/ using corse to fine papers...& finish it using just tru-oil.

there is something about a natural look on a gun stock that brings a :) to my face.
    the finer you can get the (stock/wood grain) the lighter the stains/finishes will take....happy sanding

4. ARnoob

ARnoob New Member

Thanks. I feel the same way about wood furniture. Do you use chemical stipper on the wood to remove the old stain/lacquer?

5. m72law

m72law New Member

if its a cheap mosin or old mauser rifle,i use oven cleaner to strip away the old grime....now if im refinishing a blaser or better i'd do it all by hand...i have refinished a few old winchesters without any kind of strippers,other than elbow power:eek:a good sharp ''red devil scraper/bastard file''will be your best friend once you get the feel for it:)

6. ARnoob

ARnoob New Member

Cool. Thank you.