how to cook cactus?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by beastmode986, Nov 4, 2012.

1. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

2. astroman

astroman Supporting Member Supporter

people eat cactus? Ive heard of eating prickly pears from cactus...

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

not all cacti are edible. i dont believe that the one in the pic is edible nor are its cousins.

prickly pear and its fruit are the ones typically eaten.

the small thorns are usually scorched off with open flame then the pads are peeled. the reason you dont just peel is cactus thorns can be flung quite a ways and most are smaller than dust motes yet can be super painful when eaten. you dont want that in your fresh peeled cactus. the fruit is treated the same way.

use thick gloves and metal tongs

4. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Most of the cacti in the Phoenix urban area were planted as landscaping. Do not be molesting the plants. You can find the edible kind at the grocery store, in the produce dept.

You should know that many cacti are protected plants in AZ, especially the saguaro (su-whar-oh) Against state law to harm one, including hacking, shooting, carving initials on, poking holes in, etc. Touch a cactus, go to jail.

6. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

If I had an edible cactus in my backyard, it would be called "Garden"

I would save the receipts from a nursery tho'
    We bought quite a few while snowbirding and brought them back.
    I took pictures while we purchased them and saved the receipts.

I'll second the motion on sticking with Prickly Pear leaves and fruits, until you are sure of what you will be eating and that it is safe.

And always remember, just because it's endangered, doesn't mean it tastes good. :)

7. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I agree with JonM. I don't think that kind of cactus is edible. Only the prickly pear fruit and pads are, as far as I know.

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

please use the names or initials of local greenpeace or peta activists if you absolutely must carve on a cacti...

9. Blueguns

Blueguns New Member

I wouldn't eat that cactus. In the picture one of the comments says it is not edible.