How to convert a rifle into a short barreled rifle legally

Discussion in 'NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion' started by Awesome, May 24, 2012.

1. Awesome

Awesome New Member

I have been thinking about getting an auto ordnance thompson tm1. It comes with a 16 inch barrel. But auto ordnance sells 10 inch barrels just like what the original thompsons had.how do I go about legally putting the 10 inch barrel on the gun.

I realize they sell the gun with the 10 inch barrel but it costs quite a bit more then just changing barrels.

Can you just go to a ffl and fill out sone paper work or is there more to it then that

2. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

It would legally be a short barreled rifle, so you would have to follow all BATFE procedures, and pay a $200 tax. I have never done this, but plenty of members here have. They should be along shortly.

3. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

Texas woodworker nailed it. Last I heard, Sbr and suppressors were running 6 months. Once you get the paperwork filled out, you get chief Local leo to sign off, and mail it, and payment, to the atf.

4. okdonk

okdonk New Member

You can also go by the trust route. By doing it you wont have to do these (signed by leo, photographs and fingerprints).
    1. Create a trust
    2. Get your lower engraved by orion-arms.com with your trust name
    3. Fill paperworks
    4. Mail it with $200 money order or cheque
    5. Wait for around 6-7months for the tax stamp gets back
    6. Buy the sbr upper and enjoy!

5. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Very nice research on this post.

My LGS seems to think the ATF will

probably decide to visit you on a regular basis,

even if you do this properly. That completely removes the

fun factor for me. I have so little time for all my legal guns as it is,

without borrowing trouble...

6. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Hmm.. sorry for asking as i might not get your point right. Did you mean my steps are wrong? Sorry if its wrong, as thats what i read and been told. *newbie*

7. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I'm sorry, you misunderstand.

Your post was thorough, and informative.

What I'm being told by those who know

quite a bit more firsthand about the ATF

is you should consider the scrutiny that

200$ tax stamp fee is going to support,

in exchange for the dubious benefit of

having that altered weapon.

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  8. Awesome

Awesome New Member

So if I go the atf route. where do I get the paperwork from.
    I don't mind paying the 200 tax.

9. Awesome

Awesome New Member

10. Awesome

Awesome New Member

It didn't really help but thank you

11. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Below is what you need and of course the $200 check
    Also make photocopies of all this for your own records before you send the originals out . DO NOT photo copy your second form to them ,it needs to have original inked signatures and inked prints . Just take the time and do them right so you dont get them back and have to redo them . That pushes you back a couple of weeks when that happens

You need Form 1, 2 copies
    http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5320-1.pdf

ATF certification of compliance form ,1 copy

http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5330-20.pdf

FD-258 fingerprint card ,2 copies . preferably in color " they like the lines to be blue "

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/background-checks/standard-fingerprint-form-fd-258

$200 check payable to the National Firearms Act Branch

12. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Correct me if im wrong. On top of the form 1 it says make a $200 payable to "Department of Justice".

13. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Also the form 1 needs to be printed front and back. Not as in 2 pages but 1 page with front and back.

14. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

You are correct , but they cashed mine without any issues after my wife wrote it wrong anyway and sent it out . I didn't know this until the check came back. :)
    I don't think it matters as long as the money is good

15. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

This is correct , guys have even glued them together and that works fine also as long as its one page

16. JonM

JonM Moderator

he is totally wrong. the batfe does not inspect tax stamp holders. they can and do inspect ffl holders. if you are out using a nfa item and someone calls them they may come see whats going on. but they arent going to just barge into your home and say "hey open that safe."

what is possible is they may knock on your door if someone identifies you using a supressor or sbr or machinegun and ask to see the registered item and stamp. never ever heard of that happening.

i keep a copy of my stamp with the registered item when im using it. the originals i keep in a safety deposit box.

17. HotGuns

HotGuns Member

Do it and have fun.

18. rachilders

rachilders New Member

purehavoc and JonM are both correct. I completed a SBR project last year and the hardest part is the current 6 month wait for the paperwork to be returned from the BATF. As JonM pointed out, you could realistically expect a visit only if someone sees you with your gun and happens to report it (and you) to the ATF. I also keep a copy of my returned form 1 with me whenever I have my gun somewhere besides my own home and the original in a secure location in my home

19. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

Does your name and address have to be engraved regardless whether you build one or buy new? I would hate to mess up a Thompson like that, even if it isnt original.