How to carry with belly band.

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by Hectocotylus, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Hectocotylus

Hectocotylus New Member

I just got a belly band off amazon and I am wondering where everyone else carries with it. What I mean is, on the belt line like any other holster or should it be higher up? It seems to migrate northward. Do I need to wear it tighter?

2. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

I wish ya luck man, I tried one in every way I could imagine, even around the back, high, low, etc found it to be the worst holster I ever tried. I'd have donated if I didn't hate it so much that I ripped it apart one day, out of spite.

3. Hectocotylus

Hectocotylus New Member

Everyone seems to say these are the best thing since sliced bread but I have a remora type holster that seems more comfortable. I don't like having something tight around my stomach. I will keep experimenting.

4. NickFroelich

NickFroelich New Member

I carried in one for a little while. I stopped because re-holstering was annoying.

5. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Altering my belly band is one of my only experiences with a sewing machine...kind of fun, actually.

I wear mine in two different ways. First, I'll wear it in deep cover just below my belt line with the butt of my CM9 just above my belt buckle. Second, I wear it around the center of my torso with the gun right around my solar plexus. I use this location for bike-riding and for times I go to sporting events where they pat you down before going in.

6. Spazzmodicus

Spazzmodicus New Member

Still trying to figure out some other practical use for my belly band since carrying a handgun in it totally sucks.

7. Hectocotylus

Hectocotylus New Member

My wife added a strip of fabric where the barrel stuck out below the band and it made a huge difference! So comfy now.

8. eborden1122

eborden1122 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I think it also depends on what type of shape you are in. If you have a flat stomach, medium belly, kind of chubby, if you look like you swallowed a basketball or just plain fat. I think that will play a big role(no pun inteded) in how and where you carry. Good luck.

9. yaya1225

yaya1225 New Member

I was thinking of getting one of these..I am a newbie to the gun world shoot at least once a week just got a SW MP9 and taking my ccw next month

10. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Belly bands, big guns, and/or fat rolls do not mix. I would think J-frame revolver or smaller would be as large as you want to go.

11. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

H

Been carrying a Kahr PM9 in one for about 5 years. I wear mine low around my hips and position the pistol at about 4 O'clock, right on my kidney. My band has a spare mag pouch just forward of the holster.

This position make my PM 9 and back up mag disappear, even to me. Most comfortable rig I've worn in my 17 years of daily CCW.

Tack

12. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

...UHUUUM!

...and who clued you into the BB...after helping you zero the scope on your new AR build? ;)

Tack

13. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Wearing a shirt under the belly band helps a lot. I have a gut. I carry a P95 with 15 rounds of 9mm ammo in it. I wear a 6" belly band right on my hips at 10 o'clock. I let the barrel of the gun go in my pants. That keeps everything anchored. The Velcro belly bands do not work for me. The hook and loop belly bands are much better.

Search google for articles on the use of a belly band holster. We aren't experts at fitting people with holsters.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  14. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I bought a belly band long ago, after a Nutnfancy video, actually. Perhaps soon we could go out shooting again, but I just can't bring myself to pull the trigger even once until this gun run dies down and the ammo market is closer to normal. I just shoot at the Clackamas Sheriff's range since they provide the ammo (at inflated prices, of course). New Aimpoint on that AR, though. Not zeroed, yet...

15. Hectocotylus

Hectocotylus New Member

The shirt underneath really does help. Thanks guys! Btw my wife's sewing skills of adding another inch of fabric to get the barrel one layer of cloth further away from my skin made a massive difference.

16. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Ahh yes... The CCC Public Safety Training Facility... I was a member there for a few years before moving accross the creek. Nice Facility.

17. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Belly Band holster seems to work for me. I thought it would take some time to adjust to it. But I was wrong. I wear primarily t-shirts down here, and so at times I do wear the band beneath it. What position depends upon one's likeing really.

18. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I wear an A shirt better known as the wife beater under my shirt year round. If I get to hot or I do something that is going to trash a nice shirt I just take the outer shirt off. Open carry is legal in NC so there is nothing anyone can say as long as I respect their property.