how to CARRY >1 longarm and pack, hmm?

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by uanda, Jun 21, 2014.

1. uanda

uanda New Member

How to shoot or intimidate anybody with a gun you aint GOT with ya? How to get the looters to wait while you go trade your bolt action or shotgun for your ak? :) "Where to get the crystal ball that tells you when to have this specialized gun, as vs that specialized gun? :)

How to make that birdshot worth a hoot in a fight? how to make those slugs worth a hoot at 200+ yds.? how to carry enough of those 10 to the lb 12 ga shells to be worth having the danged thing? What to do about all the NOISE scaring off the game and calling in your killers? Why bother to carry the noisy, heavy thing, when you are down to your last 2-3 shells?

How to score on enough small game, birds, fish, etc, to make up the 5 lbs of (ready to eat) food you'll need to not lose weight (when stressed)? that's 10 lbs of live weight animals/fish, EVERY day, guys. You've never had a week of such success in your life, and that's your "game plan" if things get tough? :)

Better have a buried, 1 year supply of long-term food, as well as traps, nets, etc, cached, along with non-hybrid, tested-local garden seeds.

And have a maximally versatile longarm, like a silenced, short-barreled, scoped 223 autoloader, with a .22lr conversion unit. It's rather like having a multi-tool, instead of just a knife. Having just a knife rather sucks when you need to turn a screw, file down a surface, grip something, cut wire, etc. Having just a centerfire, just a shotgun, just a bolt action, just a rimfire, those things suck too, quite often.

Now, if you want to settle for not having the .22 conversion unit's cheap, quiet indoor practice for your rifle, you can go with a 20 AK or 30 Carbine, and also carry a silenced .22 pistol, like the superb Smith 2214. and maybe a pocket 9 also. But you wont have the effective range of the 22 unit in the (scoped) rifle, especially not in thick cover, or at dawn or dusk, when you're most likely to have decent shots at game.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
  2. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

What???????????????????????

3. nosaj

nosaj New Member

TUI?

(typing under the influence)

4. uanda

uanda New Member

when trying to brain a deer at 20 yds, or engage several armed men (using cover, at more than 2-3 yds of distance) , the silenced 223 (with .22 lr conversion unit installed) is a much, much better choice than any handgun (silenced or not, powerful or not). Braced around a tree, or over a framepack , the silenced 22 unit/rifle can put a subsonic 60 gr Aquila bullet into each of 3 men at 100 yds, before they have a clue about what to do. Ditto for 4 of them at 50 yds, or 5 of them at 25 yds. I'll take such levels of effectiveness, over one loud shot from a bolt action, any day. :) especially at dusk, or using luminous sights with the suckers all around a fire.

5. uanda

uanda New Member

you never heard of a survival rifle-tactics discussion? that's what this forum IS about, ya know. I"ve never had more than 2 drinks in 24 hours in my life, and the last alcohol I drank was 34 years ago. I've never used dope at all. all you guys and your 5-10 guns "for survival", I'm asking you how you'll HAVE the one you need? :) You won't, so you'll have a horrible handicap, a lot of the time.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
  6. uanda

uanda New Member

It's rather like having only a screwdriver (ie, bolt action) when what you need is a machete (ie, belt fed mg, or auto 12 ga and buck). or vice versa. I'm saying that you need to realize that you ca'nt carry such an arsenal (and a BOB and enough ammo for each gun to make them worth having.) you aint got a crystal ball to tell you when you'll be shooting pronghorn at 200 yds, or prairie hens at 20 yds. You better not be telling every potential enemy (for a 2 mile radius) of yourarmed presense (ie, noisy gun) or scaring off the other critters, either. Not when getting meat is a critical issue.,

7. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

so please enlighten us uninformed members here with your vast knowledge of what is best for us.

we're sitting on pins and needles, awaiting with baited breath to learn from someone as masterful as yourself.

8. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

You have lost me. :confused:

9. nosaj

nosaj New Member

John J.?......."nothing is over"

10. Axxe55

another one hoping and praying for SHTF situation to justify their need to feel superior?

today might turn out interesting after all!:p

11. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

I believe everyone needs to learn how to properly deploy each of the following --

- pistol

- shotgun

- carbine.

Each of them has a different stated purpose.

The purpose of the pistol is as a backup to the shotgun or carbine, or when you cannot carry a shotgun or carbine with you, such as during working hours or when going out to eat or shop.

The purpose of the shotgun is to blow away anybody within 25 yards.

The purpose of the carbine is to blow away anybody from 25 to 500 yards.

Choose your medicine -- whatever fits the bill.

As for food and water storage -- yes you do indeed need to store these in addition to gasoline and candles. You can't eat ammo, which you also need to store, so you need to store food.

Unless of course you plan to use bullets for downing meat -- in which case you would become a cannibal very quickly.

12. Rick1967

I am not in the army anymore. For me the perfect survival setup would be a Ruger 10/22 or a Marlin Model 60 with a 22 pistol for a side arm. You can easily throw 500 rounds in your pack. If you want to talk about self defense in a survival situation...I don't know anybody that wants to get 18 or 25 rounds of 22lr headed their direction. I have no need of a silencer. As I have no plans of murdering anyone! And I certainly see no need to shoot someone at several hundred hard away unless they are shooting at me. If someone 200 yards away has not seen me, I will simply keep it that way.:eek:

13. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a sound moderator, and have no plans to murder anyone. :)

14. Axxe55

for the most part, it has been discussed all most to the point of beating dead horse to death!:eek:

and every person's personal situation is different, and every situation within a scenario will be different, meaning different needs from one person to the next.

bugging out of Dodge is one scenario. the needs of what one carries and how those things are carried will be different based on different tactors.

staying put. simple. i an not concerned about weight issues or handicapped by the number of firearms i have. i can pick and choose based on what i feel best meets my needs at the time.

you seem to thing their is one answer that would apply to all scenarios and the needs of all people. sorry, but i think that is wrong assumption to make. there is no one size, fits all answer to these types of questions.

okay, someone turn out the zombies now!:D

15. Rick1967

I did not mean that only murders use silencers. I meant that if someone is going to pick off three people 1 at a time with a silenced rifle and not in the military, that sounds like murder to me.

I have no issue with someone wanting a silencer. I was simply talking about the scenario the op was referring to.

16. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

With manta on this one. Suppressors, moderators, silencers or whatever one wants to call them, were not designed for or make it any easier to commit murder. They were designed to protect hearing and reduce noise pollution. The fact that many people view them with criminal activity in mind comes largely from Hollywood and anti-gun lobbies. In my opinion suppressors should have never been included on the NFA, and require extra tax and paperwork.

17. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I see you responded while I was typing.

18. Rick1967

A person I shoot with has a silencer for his 9mm. It was about as loud as a 22 rifle. Very cool. If it wasn't such a pain in the butt dealing with the tax stamp and all that it would be cool to have one for the range.

19. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

I do need all my guns. :p

no offense and none taken

20. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

I am at a loss on this thread. What is the point of it again?