How to Build a Cheap PVC Target Stand

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by safedman, Aug 30, 2010.

1. safedman

safedman New Member

I recently made 8 of these for our local range. Been years since anyone re-built target stands....:cool:
    Anyway they are cheap, stable and we really like them. The only change I made was to put a "T" in the front corners in place of the 90 degree elbows. This alows cleaning out drit etc and allows rain h2o to drain out.

Build a Simple, Portable PVC Target Stand « AccurateShooter.com Bulletin

I will post pictures next week after range session.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2010
  2. Jay

Jay New Member

nice stands......

3. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I'm planning on building one of those soon. I'm going to drill holes for tent stakes because we have alot of wind around here. Primarily when I go hunting, fishing, or shooting, the wind picks up! :D

4. Highpower

Highpower New Member

Very handy. :)

Here is another good use for some PVC:

[​IMG]

5. safedman

safedman New Member

Ok, you hooked me.

I always put out a tarp to catch my brass when shooting outside the shooting hootch. Now I am going to buy some PVC and make that Brass Catcher.
    I appreciate that idea big time...so will the others that scrape up brass all the time. :D

6. jetgirl

jetgirl New Member

That's a neat idea! I use a couple of Jammit stands, but my daughter shot one of the bottom clips and it doesn't retain a solid hold on cardboard if the wind picks up just right.

7. Drriley

Drriley New Member

I make mine completely of PVC. I use elastic bands and plastic clothes pins to hold the targets. Cost around $4 each stand. Keep extra pipe and fittings on hand to do instant repairs. use connectors to splice the pipe when necessary.

Attached Files:

8. safedman

safedman New Member

Here are mine.

Front and rear pieces 20 inches (two)
    Side pieces 16 inches (4)
    Up-rights 12 t0 24 inches (2)
    T's (4)
    90 deg. elbows (2)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wood supports 1 1/2 x 1 1/2
    67 inches (2)

I was up to the range to cut the 25 and 50 yard holders to a height that would keep the rounds in the berm. Lo abd behold someone has shot one of the new holders and blown out an elbow in only 4 days....dang.
    Cross supports
    23 1/2 (2)

Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
  9. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Been using that for years. There is a post somewhere on here that has mine in it. I prefer to glue mine as it adds strength to the frame.

10. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

This is the target stand that I make and use. It is made out of 1” PVC and breaks down and re-assembles in moments. With this design you don’t need clips or bands to hold the cardboard on the stand I use the stick on targets. I made 5 of these for the Texas Meet-N-Greet and it only took about a ½ hour to complete.

Picture one is the target stand broken down.

Picture two is the stand assembled.

Picture three is a close up of how the cardboard is held on the PVC.

Forgot to add that the vertical cut on the uprights that holds the cardboard was made with a skill saw. I just set the blade at about 1/2 inch and clamped the upright in my portable worktable and ran one cut.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
  11. safedman

safedman New Member

I Like!

I like the idea of not having to use wood supports. May have to make a few of these!! Thanks for all of the ideas.

12. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

It depends on how good a shot you are. The wood supports are "sacrificial" in case a flyer hits it. Cheaper and easier to replace the wood than PVC.

13. safedman

safedman New Member

True...

I am not worried about my shooting....BUT that is why I put the wood up to our local range. ;)

14. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

Love your design. Will have to copy it soon. :D

15. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I built one using this design. Easy greasy and cheap. I did use the wood inserts incase I want to pop it out to 100-200yrds. :D

16. bub72ck

bub72ck New Member

Old thread but I used the template to make a couple stands today. Better give credit where it's due:
    [​IMG]

17. russ1982

russ1982 New Member

image-925137262.jpg

I built 4 of these. They r wide enough for card board targets and the chicken wire lets me use paper targets