How to avoid idiot marks

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Jesse17, May 29, 2011.

1. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

OK, so my hardened nickle 1911 had an idiot mark before I even knew what they were. This might have something to do with the fact that Metroarms included a few pages of instructions for the American Classic, not the American Classic II that is what I bought :rolleyes:, and they are such poor photocopy quality that you can't even read them.

Anyhow, I now use a small tweaker sized screw driver to depress the plunger that holes the slide stop and safety in place, then pull the tweaker out at the same time I push the slide stop in.

Is there a better technique to do this?

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Hello.....yes, it's me again.........:eek:......and guess what? I HAVE A QUESTION. (Surprised, aren't you?)

What are 'idiot marks'?

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I'm not Tango, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn once. ;)

An "Idiot" mark or scratch occurs during the reassembly of a 1911 when the slide stop is reinserted into the frame. If it's not done carefully, a crescent shaped scratch will be the result.

Here's a pic I "borrowed" from another forum to give you an idea:

[​IMG]

4. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

5. P90

P90 New Member

On my Ruger P90, I turn the pin with the catch down toward the trigger when I push it in, then pull it back out where it barely clears the metal when I turn it up in position to slide in the hole. It has work good for me.

6. Jay

Jay New Member

Just polish the ramp on the back side of the slide lock... and the tip of the plunger... slides into place very nicely.

7. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

That's the way I thought it was suppose to work, but I couldn't get it in place without depressing the plunger with something. I haven't tried polishing it though.

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

Set the slide stop at the edge of the hole in the frame push in and up it clicks into place. What causes the mark is peeps setting the stop at thetrigger guard and scraping it on the frame.

9. jem375

jem375 New Member

Only push the pin in the hole enough to keep it in place and push the slide back with the pin pointed straight back and then push it into place... I had some idiot marks on my 1911's also until I learned this procedure.........

10. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Idiot Mark? You mean The Crescent of Shame?

This is it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and how you avoid the "Shame":

[​IMG]

11. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I have done the small knife tip depression as well when the gun is new however I came up with a slick little trick I use now.

Dental floss. It's thin, flat and strong. Wrap it around the plunger and depress, insert slide release, pull floss free. Easy peasy and super cheap to have in the range bag. ;)

Once the weapon is broke in you can lie the weapon flat on your takedown mat and just press it in place without rotating the slide release.

JD

12. knfxda

knfxda New Member

You'd think that after a hundred years, they'd have corrected this design flaw.

I keed! I keed! I just make a little joke. :D

13. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

[​IMG]
    That's right ^^^^^ you just got the evil eye! :eek::D

14. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

A little secret....

That design features was purposedly retained to see who pays attention in class.
    Like wearing a "dunce" cap. :)