How To Ask For Help

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Doc3402, May 14, 2013.

1. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

I've seen that one a bunch. So much that I now give my birth year as 19xx. My favorite was always: I have a computer. What video card can I put in it?

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Thanks Doc.

Very good post.

I hate the "20 questions" game, but there are times when questions have to be asked to provide straight answers.

IMO, there is no such thing as a dumb question, except for the one not asked.

The forum discussion is a platform where everybody provides their opinions.
    Are we "experts"? Some of us are and some of us are not (but the word "expert" is made up of two syllables. "ex" (was or "has been") and "pert" (another word for sassy).)
    Do we know everything? No.
    Do we have opinions? Yes.
    Do we like to help others avoid mistakes we have made? Yes.

Again, a good post and Thanks!

Dallas53 likes this.

3. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

I'm not wild about the 20 questions game, either, but there is often a point or two that could use some clarification. It's how we give better answers. Just don't ask me who's on first if you're not even going to tell me what ballpark you're playing in.

4. gunfujoe92

gunfujoe92 New Member

New handgun owner here. Grew up with long guns though. Love reading everyone's posts. I do a lot of independent research but sometimes I get frustrated because I want an opinion with supporting reasons and all the shooters I know only give me "Glock is good" or "I wouldn't own a Glock if it was given to me". I appreciate that there seem to be some articulate individuals here and I'll definitely being asking questions as they occur to me.

5. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

First, welcome to the forum. When you get a chance stop by the Introductions thread and tell us more about yourself.

As for the questions, ask away. There are many of us here that enjoy helping others. To make sure you get good answers try to be specific with your questions, but if you can't, that's okay, too. It will just take a little longer to narrow things down.

By the way, Glock is good. So are S&W, Sig, Ruger, Springfield Armory, Beretta, and probably a dozen or so more that I'm forgetting right now. Enjoy your stay.

6. genecrist1234

genecrist1234 New Member

I'm one of the newbies and I seem to have a problem in posting questions. Sometimes they go thru and sometimes not. My specific question now is that I have a Dan Wesson .357 rev. with a 6 in. bbl. and I can't seem to find anything on the history of the Dan Wesson company history thing.
    what am I doing wrong ?. Thanks Gene.

7. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

First off, welcome, and when you have a chance, stop into the introductions thread and tell us about yourself a bit...
    Try Wikipedia for Dan Wesson's history.....

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

8. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

"but now I don't found my gun"
    Are you asking who made your firearm? Post a picture please

Dallas53 likes this.
  9. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

i know someone dug up an old thread, but i had to read through the entire thing. much of what the OP said in the beginning is quite true.

the more information given, and more specific questions will lead others to provide much better suggestions or advice, or at the very least some good ideas of what might be best suited for the person asking.

being too vague with the questions leads to too vague of answers.

the advice he gave could apply to just about anything a person was thinking about buying or getting and not just guns.

10. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

sometimes people ask vague questions because they may not have full understanding of guns and may not know the right questions to ask. many of them are new to guns and those of us with some knowledge should be understanding of that, and help them out to the best of our abilities and knowledge level.

myself like many older shooter who have been around guns pretty much my entire life, we sometimes take things for granted, and forget that not everyone has the same life experiences with guns.

and a lot of those new to guns are younger people, and we need to be welcoming and friendly towards them, since they are the future of the gun sports. they are pretty much the reason we try and keep our rights and traditions alive and free. we need to think of ourselves as teachers, and them as students, and to pass along what we have learned over the years. not just about guns, but our traditions, and our reasons why we fight for our gun rights, and why it's important that such a right, remains our right to own and bear arms. i fight for gun rights not for just myself, but for my children and hopefully one day, my grandchildren and great grandchildren.

danf_fl and winds-of-change like this.
  11. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

If you know the right questions you are half way there.

But, back to the original question; How to ask for help?

"Doctor please, some more of these" Outside the door, she took four more. What a drag, this is getting old.....

Dallas53 likes this.